Pathfinder 2E Pathfinder 2E's African-inspired Sourcebook

Paizo has announced Lost Omens: Mwangi Expanse for June 2021, a setting sourcebook which delves into an African-themed area of Golarion. At over 300 pages, the book also includes six new ancestries -- Anadi, Conrasu, Gnoll, Goloma, Grippli, and Shisk. It will be followed by the Strength of Thousands adventure path, where you play students at the Magaambya magic academy in the Mwangi Expanse.

Paizo has announced Lost Omens: Mwangi Expanse for June 2021, a setting sourcebook which delves into an African-themed area of Golarion. At over 300 pages, the book also includes six new ancestries -- Anadi, Conrasu, Gnoll, Goloma, Grippli, and Shisk.

It will be followed by the Strength of Thousands adventure path, where you play students at the Magaambya magic academy in the Mwangi Expanse.

Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 4.01.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 4.02.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 4.02.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 4.03.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 4.03.52 PM.png

Erdric Dragin

Adventurer
Golarion is rapidly becoming my favourite campaign setting, so much diversity that so far still feels cohesive. I'm mega excited for this sourcebook

The Forgotten Realms could be like this if WotC would stop focusing on everything from the Sword Coast north of Amn up to Icewind Dale. I'll hand them credit for ToA and the Chult area, but it was lacking in lore for that region, unlike Mwangi for PF

James Jacobs

Adventurer
Well the lore is usable in any edition. It's the rules stuff I wish we had both the 1e and the 2e versions of. Still no idea why Paizo won't provide mechanics of the material for both. Twice the money right?
We've avoided dual stat books for a few reasons; here's three that come to mind.

1) We've pretty much thrown all-in on supporting 2nd edition. I'm proud of the work we did in 1st edition, but I personally feel that 2nd edition is more enjoyable to play and to write for. Its improvements and changes are the result of us trying to make a game we prefer, after all, as much as us trying to make a game for the rest of the world. We WANT to produce 2nd edition content.

2) We can't change the laws of time and space, and so if we did dual stats for our books, we'd have to either make fewer books or make them shorter. At the same time, the effort to design and edit and layout dual stat books is not twice as hard as single-stat books. And even if we did decide to simply expand the books by however many pages it would take to do include 1st edition stats, there'd be customers who would be disappointed that the pages devoted to the system they don't use are "wasted" and that we could have given them more content in those pages, so it can foster complicated customer relations.

3) It wouldn't be twice the money, but it'd be more than twice the work.

All that said, for lore-heavy books like this one, it IS in large part edition neutral, and GMs who want to expand upon the Mwangi in their games or are looking for some more lore to fill their own campaigns will find a LOT in here to be inspired by. Regardless of what game you play.

Dire Bare

Legend
All that said, for lore-heavy books like this one, it IS in large part edition neutral, and GMs who want to expand upon the Mwangi in their games or are looking for some more lore to fill their own campaigns will find a LOT in here to be inspired by. Regardless of what game you play.

I don't play Pathfinder 1E or 2E . . . . but yet I find a rather large library of both on my digital bookshelves. Paizo puts out good stuff that is great to mine if you're playing Pathfinder (any edition), D&D (any edition), or even one of the many D&D-clones or OSR games out there. I'm looking forward to this new book!

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I don't play Pathfinder 1E or 2E . . . . but yet I find a rather large library of both on my digital bookshelves. Paizo puts out good stuff that is great to mine if you're playing Pathfinder (any edition), D&D (any edition), or even one of the many D&D-clones or OSR games out there. I'm looking forward to this new book!
Same. Though I'd play 2e if my friends would

marv

Explorer
We've avoided dual stat books for a few reasons; here's three that come to mind.

1) We've pretty much thrown all-in on supporting 2nd edition. I'm proud of the work we did in 1st edition, but I personally feel that 2nd edition is more enjoyable to play and to write for. Its improvements and changes are the result of us trying to make a game we prefer, after all, as much as us trying to make a game for the rest of the world. We WANT to produce 2nd edition content.

2) We can't change the laws of time and space, and so if we did dual stats for our books, we'd have to either make fewer books or make them shorter. At the same time, the effort to design and edit and layout dual stat books is not twice as hard as single-stat books. And even if we did decide to simply expand the books by however many pages it would take to do include 1st edition stats, there'd be customers who would be disappointed that the pages devoted to the system they don't use are "wasted" and that we could have given them more content in those pages, so it can foster complicated customer relations.

3) It wouldn't be twice the money, but it'd be more than twice the work.

It’s all about the lore! I think DMs would be surprised how easy and rich it is to run 5E games in Golarion with PF and PF2 adventures being converted on the fly.

Mwangi was an excellent choice for the 1st 2E region book because there is so much existing lore from PF 1E adventures and books to draw from, while as Luis states making it more of source books from a local perspective. I’ve run both PF and 5E home brew campaigns there. It is ripe for myth and adventure!

Sounds like soon I’ll be running a PF2 campaign there. But even if your rule system is not PF2, I see no reason to hold off buying this product. For me source books are all about the lore!

Aldarc

Legend
This looks interesting to me. I don't play PF2 but I might want to check it out to loot for a 5e game.
Same. There is probably a lot of inspiration to mine from this, though hopefully it amounts to more than just Africa with some letters re-arranged (e.g., Mali -> Mzali).

Remove ads

Remove ads