Pathfinder 2's Critical Hits & Failures! Plus Save-or-Suck and Damage On A Miss!

Today's Pathfinder 2nd Edition news roundup is mainly about Critical Hits! And Failures. There's also a brief diversion into "save or suck" effects, and that old favourite, "damage on a miss" (tl;dr -- it's a failed attack roll, but not a miss). As always, this information gets added to the mighty Pathfinder 2nd Edition Compiled Info Page!

Today's Pathfinder 2nd Edition news roundup is mainly about Critical Hits! And Failures. There's also a brief diversion into "save or suck" effects, and that old favourite, "damage on a miss" (tl;dr -- it's a failed attack roll, but not a miss). As always, this information gets added to the mighty Pathfinder 2nd Edition Compiled Info Page!

20180330-Weapons_360.jpeg

Some weapons by Wayne Reynolds​

• Last night, Paizo held the first of a series of live Twitch streams with Jason Bulmahn. It's just over an hour long; I haven't had chance to watch it yet, but if I find a transcript or summary I'll post a link here.
  • Critical Hits! A new Paizo blog went up last night, detailing Critical Hits and Critical Failures!
    • We know from previous scoops that a critical success or failure means beating or failing the target number by 10.
    • Saves have critical successes, and critical failure. The example fireball does the normal half damage on a success, but on a critical success it does no damage, and on a critical failure it does double damage.
    • If you have improved evasion, and legendary proficiency in Reflex saves, your Reflex save critical failures are just normal failures.
    • If you have evasion, your Reflex save successes are critical successes.
    • Not all things have critical successes and failures; if they do, then it is listed.
    • A normal critical hit on an attack does double damage. There's normally no critical miss, but there are some exceptions:
      • Certain Strike -- the fighter has an ability where you do minimum damage on a failure, and miss only on a critical failure.
      • Twin Riposte - a fighter can parry with a weapon and attack with another when an enemy critically fails an attack roll.
  • Save or Suck (or, as Paizo calls it, "save or lose) -- effects which remove you from the game with a failed save can have lesser effects on a failed save, and only take you out of the game on a critical fail. The example given is a save vs. dominate: on a fail you can try to break free each round, but on a critical fail you're dominated for the duration; on a success you lose an action each turn as you fight it off.
  • Critical Effects -- Mark Seifter shares some examples of critical successes and failures:
    • The creature is banished and can't return to your home plane by any means for 1 week.
    • The creature takes the full collapse damage and falls into a fissure.
    • The target believes the fact for an unlimited duration.
    • The target's intellect is permanently reduced below that of an animal, and it treats its Charisma, Intelligence, and Wisdom modifiers as –5. It loses all class abilities that require mental faculties, including all spellcasting. If the target is a PC, she becomes an NPC under the GM's control.
    • The creature is pushed 30 feet in the direction of the wind, is knocked prone, and takes 2d6 bludgeoning damage.
    • You grant a +4 circumstance bonus.
    • Per a failure, except the target believes that everyone it sees is a mortal enemy. It uses its reactions and free actions against these enemies regardless of whether they were previously its allies, as determined by the GM. It otherwise acts as rationally as normal and will likely prefer to attack enemies that are actively attacking or hindering it.
    • The target must succeed at a Fortitude save or die. Even on a successful save, the target is frightened 2 and must flee for 1 round.
    • Your target regains Hit Points equal to 2d10 + your Wisdom modifier.
    • Per a success, but even afterward, the target is too scared of you to retaliate against you.
  • 20s and 1s are still auto successes/failures -- "If your nat 20 isn't a critical success, it is still a success, and if your nat 1 isn't a critical failure, it is still a failure. (Seifter)
  • On how the new save effects compare to PF1 and D&D 4E -- "If you're coming from PF1, I don't think you have much to worry about in terms of the non-damage critical failure effects causing TPKs more than you're used to, in that even regular failures in PF1 are often just as TPKtastic. If you're coming from a game more like 4e, which solved the problem of save or out of the fight by removing many of those effects and allowing a probable recovery from negative effects every round (4e's saving throws), it might indeed be more dangerous." (Seifter)
  • It's not "damage on a miss!" -- "It's not a miss. It's a failure on the attack roll, but it's still a glancing blow, and you only miss on a critical failure for a Certain Strike." (Seifter)
  • On the severity of losing an action -- "Losing one of your actions might not sound like much, but it's often a big problem for monsters and PCs alike. Admittedly, dominate is on the lower end of success effects in part because the fail and critical fail effects are so dire, but even then, slow 1 is preeetty good... I didn't fully grasp it until I played enough games of it, but in addition to the situations mentioned in the blog (and that spellcaster situation is really quite terrifying; it's even worse if you needed to cast a three action spell), it really screws over monsters who have an action routine that either uses all three actions or uses two actions but needs to move first. Grappling monsters that do <bad thing> after grappling you come to mind." (Seifter)
  • Mooks are affected by crits more often now it's "hit/miss by 10" -- "This is one of a lengthy list of benefits from the initial design proposal for this system. Incidentally, it also means you can do some really nasty things against mooky enemies!" (Seifter)
[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

I've been mostly negative about pf2 on these forims although there are things i like.

I simply wanted to mention that i llike the new crit rules. It makes a lot of sense that the better trained you are and the more advantages going your way, the less likely you should be of critically failing. Crit failures are for beginners man!

I'm not sure about nat 1s and nat 20s also being auto failures/successes, but i understand why theyre in there. And theyre easy enough tohouse rule out.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Wait a minute. I don’t think it’s true that crit and fumble are never both possible on the same roll. One of the devs confirmed that a natural 20 is a critical success even if the result is not 10 greater than the target number as long as the result would still be a hit, and likewise a natural 1 is a fumble as long as the result would have been a miss.

... that's not what is said in the OP:

"If your nat 20 isn't a critical success, it is still a success, and if your nat 1 isn't a critical failure, it is still a failure. (Seifter)

That's the opposite in fact...

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
... that's not what is said in the OP:

That's the opposite in fact...
But we have to take Seifter's comment in context of the article it was made on, which said:

If your check result meets or exceeds the target DC, congratulations! You succeeded, and you might have critically succeeded. Otherwise, you failed. If you exceeded the target DC by 10 or more, or if you rolled a natural 20 and met or exceeded the target DC, then you critically succeeded. If your result was 10 or more lower than the target DC, or if you rolled a natural 1 and didn't meet the target DC, then you critically failed.

Assuming both quotes are accurate gives us the following rules for determining the outcome of an action:

1. If the result of the roll meets or exceeds the target number, then the action is a success.
2. If the action is a success and the result of the roll exceeds the target number by 10, then the action is a critical success.
3. If the roll is a success and the number shown on the die is a natural 20, then the action is a critical success.
4. If the number shown on the die is a natural 20 and the action is not a critical success, then the action is a success.

In light of rules 1 and 3, the only way that the number shown on the die can be a natural 20 and not be a critical success is if a natural 20 would not be enough to exceed the target number.

What all this results in is that a natural 20 is a critical success even if it does not exceed the target number by 10 or more, and a success even if it does not meet or exceed the target number at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Caliburn101

Explorer
"It's not "damage on a miss!" -- "It's not a miss. It's a failure on the attack roll, but it's still a glancing blow..."

This is hilarious - calling something 'not a miss' when it is a miss is like the Emperor's new clothes...

Certain Strike has been written using the same sort of illogical and counterintuitive thinking that WotC had to abandon with their playtest when they proposed an ability for casters where a cantrip did damage on a miss - it created massive backlash due to how ridiculous it was...

... can you imagine the arguments on how this plays in interaction with abilities that trigger on a missed attack, or a hit or damage for that matter?

Ridiculous guff.

Last edited by a moderator:

delericho

Legend
There are few quicker ways to ensure I hate a game than to introduce a critical failure system. If I hadn't already decided against PF2, this by itself would be a deal-breaker.

Especially since you could easily write the target thresholds right there in the stat block next to AC if you really need to.

I do think it would make the system better if each character/monster had one DC that was used for all their attacks. So instead of Burning Hands being DC 14, Flaming Sphere DC 15, and Fireball DC 16, just make them all DC 16, like how 5e does it. If someone is extra good at one type of attack, maybe give them a small boost. So a fire mage might have DC 18 for fire spells, DC 16 for other spells.

Mostly, I just want a good narrative way for the gaze of a medusa to always turn you to stone (with no Fort save), but that is still balanced and has some counter-play when you've got a whole party.

Like, if at any point on your turn you have line of sight to her and you didn't previously state you were closing your eyes, make a Reflex save to let you look away. If you fail, you're transfixed with terror for a round and are stunned, and if you maintain line of sight to her until the start of your next turn, you turn to stone.

But if you're transfixed, an ally could shove you away, or move the medusa, or kill her, or put a bag over your head, or create magical darkness.

Arakasius

First Post
They have said that PCs spells DC will scale with their level to keep lower level spells relevant, so I can see monsters getting the same treatment too.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
The more I read the more I know its not for me.

I'd get rid of crits all together. They just make things stupidly swingy IME. I know everyone loves rolling a 20..then doing another calculation, but too often I found fights ended up being about who got the luckiest rolls for crits than anything else.

Remove ads

Remove ads