• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Pathfinder] [OOC] DarkSun game

Andor

First Post
Half-Giant Racial Traits
Same, no LA and no favoured class
Languages: Half-Giants begin play speaking Common. Half-Giants with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Dwarven and Giant

I'm not clear on what that means. Assuming the half-giant is the one from the athas.org .pdf then there are four options I can see.

1) A Starting 1/2 Giant has 2 Giant hit dice and no class levels.

2) A starting 1/2 Giant has 2 Giant hit dice and 1 class level.

3) A starting 1/2 Giant has no Giant hit dice and 3 class levels.

4) A starting 1/2 Giant has 2 Giant hit dice and 3 class levels.

Which of these do you mean? BTW It's worth noting that options 1 and 2 actually leave the 11' tall 1200# half-giants behind the curve for HP for most classes, con bonus aside.

pneumatik

The 8th Evil Sage
Sweet merciful crap, is this game not full yet? Assuming there's room, I want in. I'll stat up a psywarrior in short order - d10 HD and full BAB is too hard to resist. It may almost be good enough to not do the Psionic Body and Psionic Talent++ build I'm thinking of.

I'll be back once I've read the PRD.

EDIT: I'm back. I noticed there's already a PsyWarrior, so I'm going to stat up a barbarian.

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Ok, Dad, I've just been doing some reading online, trying to learn more about the setting of Athas. I get it now that there are no clerics of conventional deities in the world. So, I guess my cleric will have to be a servant to an elemental type power? Given the environment of Athas, I'm leaning toward wanting to be a Water-Worshipper. My dude will probably almost always prepare at least one create water spell every day!

Walking Dad

First Post
... would you object to an alternate version of Claws of the Beast that dealt bludgeoning damage and was treated as an unarmed strike rather than a 'special' natural weapon for purposes of Weapon Focus, feats like Scorpion Style, and the like?
If you were flexible in those respects, I think I could just go straight PsyWar, without needing any prestige class at all.
I think the above wouldn't be so hard. As I said, I like the concept.

I'm so very glad that I'm playing a simple, everyday fighter! :D
:confused: Didn't you want to play a cleric???

Ok, Dad, I've just been doing some reading online, trying to learn more about the setting of Athas. I get it now that there are no clerics of conventional deities in the world. So, I guess my cleric will have to be a servant to an elemental type power? Given the environment of Athas, I'm leaning toward wanting to be a Water-Worshipper. My dude will probably almost always prepare at least one create water spell every day!
Oh, here it is.
And (from the orginal boxed set):

In Dark Sun, create water produces only one half gallon of water per level of the caster. In all other ways, the spell is exactly as described in the Players Handbook.

I will make it 1st level, producing the stated amount, because zero spells are unlimited times per day in Pathfinder.

You dislike the concept of people who learned to fight without armour or weapons in a world where armour and weapons are hard to come by? I admit I find that hard to grok.
Naturally they learned to fight without weapons -> psionics and the Imp. Unarmed Strike Feat. And fighting without heavy armor means a) psionics, b)magic, c)dodge talent tree and/or d) high Dex. Not shaolin training.

That aside, are you full up yet? Most of my games seem to have stalled out hard and I've always had a fondness for Dark Sun. My first thought was admitedly a mul psywarrior, but since that slot seems to have been filled I'll have to give it some thought and come back with something else.

BTW how is the preserver/defiler split being handled?
This will be no come first served first recruiting. I will use a combination of character concepts and player reliability to choose my group.
Not sure how doing the defiler/preserver. But I tend to the Dragon variant.

Half-Giant Gladiator
One more Mul... Great :)!

I'm not clear on what that means. Assuming the half-giant is the one from the athas.org .pdf then there are four options I can see.

1) A Starting 1/2 Giant has 2 Giant hit dice and no class levels.

2) A starting 1/2 Giant has 2 Giant hit dice and 1 class level.

3) A starting 1/2 Giant has no Giant hit dice and 3 class levels.

4) A starting 1/2 Giant has 2 Giant hit dice and 3 class levels.

Which of these do you mean? BTW It's worth noting that options 1 and 2 actually leave the 11' tall 1200# half-giants behind the curve for HP for most classes, con bonus aside.
No, I use the athas.org only sparringly. I mean the Half Giants here (no stomp, BTW): Half-Giants

Sweet merciful crap, is this game not full yet? Assuming there's room, I want in. I'll stat up a psywarrior in short order - d10 HD and full BAB is too hard to resist. It may almost be good enough to not do the Psionic Body and Psionic Talent++ build I'm thinking of.

I'll be back once I've read the PRD.

EDIT: I'm back. I noticed there's already a PsyWarrior, so I'm going to stat up a barbarian.
Barbarian sounds good.

Ambrus

Explorer
So is there still room? When does recruitment end? Are the more offbeat races (Thri-kreen, Pterran or Aarakocra) available for play as PCs?

Andor

First Post
No, I use the athas.org only sparringly. I mean the Half Giants here (no stomp, BTW): Half-Giants

Ahh. I forgot all about that version. After a glance at the SRD, how are you on soulknives? I think either an elven or halfling Soulknife skirmisher would be fun. Although given the rather generous boost in power you're giving the Psiwarrior I'd ask if the SK too can have a full BAB progression, frankly I've always thought that class needed the boost.

pneumatik

The 8th Evil Sage
Okay, I was wrong again. I built a ranged combat style Ranger because I realized Call Weaponry means I can actually have a bow to shoot. Fighter or PsyWar may be a little better mechanically at combat, but hopefully the Ranger skills and, if we level, spells will be helpful in surviving in the desert.

Tiklan, Human Ranger

Ranger 3
STR 14 +2 (5 pts)
DEX 18 +4 (10 pts, +2 racial)
CON 14 +2 (5 Pts)
INT 10 +0 (0 pts)
WIS 12 +1 (2 pts)
CHR 8 -1 (-2 pts)

HP: 31
AC: 14 (+4 Dex)

Base attack bonus: +3
Melee attack: +5
Ranged attack: +7

Attacks:
Unarmed strike +5 melee 1d3+2 bludgeoning, 20/x2 crit
Longbow +7 ranged 1d8+2 piercing, 20/x3 crit

Saves:
Fort +5
Ref +7
Will +2

Skills:
Climb +8 (3rnk), Heal +7 (3rnk), Knowledge (geography) +6 (3rnk), Knowledge (nature) 6 (3rnk), Perception +7 (3rnk), Stealth +10 (3rnk), Survival +7 (3rnk)

PP: 2
Power: Call Weaponry

Favored Class: Ranger

Feats:
Psionic Talent (Human)
Point-Blank Shot
Rapid Shot (Ranger)
Weapon Focus (Longbow)

Background

The way Tiklan saw it, it was all about resources. There were some resources you needed to survive, like water, shade, and food. Water was most important, because enough water could make up for no shade. Once you had water and shade you could go looking for food. Athas didn't have enough water, shade, or food, so you had to use your other resources wisely to get them, and to get protection against everyone and everything that wanted to take them from you.

Tiklan wasn't born with much in the way of his own resources. Born and raised in Tyr, his parents were caught in a press-gang raid when Tiklan was 14. Tiklan escaped only by fleeing in to the desert alone.

Using what limited resources he had - a ready weapon and some education on surviving in the wild - he survived long enough to find and join a slave tribe. That lasted until the tribe's resources ran low and they kicked Tiklan out. They gave a lot of justification, but ultimately it was because Tiklan hadn't been a slave. From there he made it to Urik, where his skill with a bow earned him a job with a merchant house as a caravan guard. That job lasted until the house made a few bad trades and had to let Tiklan go. He wasn't part of the family, you see.

With no friends and in an unfamiliar city-state, Tiklan did his best to survive on his own. He was sick of failing to fit-in. To survive on your own anywhere on Athas requires one to be extraordinary. Tiklan didn't last a year before he was enslaved, set up by people who were upset he wouldn't work with them (or so he said). Now he does his best to make friedns and get along with the other slaves. And he waits for a chance to escape.

Remove ads