PbtA Games: Sell One Well +

ruemere

Adventurer
...City of Mists? Someone who's actually read the whole book, or played it, tell me how wrong I am.
City of Mist: you're a human implanted with a myth. This can range from literal plot armor, to a huge tentacled friend, to a legacy of a knight of a round table.

This is not pure PbtA as the story is not created by character actions.

Mechanically, a character is composed of four cards, each with a different set of aspects, each with a single weakness. Whenever you make one of 7 core moves you stack applicable aspects, statuses (story effects) and roll 2d6.
Advanced Moves have special mechanics attached.

Each of four cards is either mythical or mundane. If at any time you're stuck with four of the same kind, you lose your character (mundane characters are unable to remember mythical things, avatars become the myth).
Fortunately, it takes a lot of fails.

Each of four cards can be powered up with new aspects.

The shiniest gem is a case construction ruleset. It's simple and allows to lead characters in circles.

Daredevil tribute:

Note: expect cyberpunk spin on City of Mist soon. Tokyo: Otherscape portrays a future with corporations that instrumentalized and weaponized myth. Major Kusanagi with Spirit Fox enhancements, Batou as an Ogre.

Kickstarter campaign: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sonofoak/tokyo-otherworld-a-mythic-cyberpunk-rpg

Last edited:

Aldarc

Legend
Try it out first. Similar Moves exist in other PbtA games, and I have found that these questions suffice and help provide some structure for player questions.
@Faolyn, I would also add that sometimes the list limitation exists in PbtA games because the list of questions are sometimes expanded by playbooks themselves, which reinforces the themes and play fantasy of each playbook.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Seems to me the limited # of questions is the key factor, and the questions themselves are best suggestions. Give it a try and see how it goes! But I'd still require the questions to be pretty focused.
Try it out first. Similar Moves exist in other PbtA games, and I have found that these questions suffice and help provide some structure for player questions.
It's less the number of questions as the type of questions.

Like, I dunno, if the mystery wasn't entirely about the monster and there were normal human concerns at work, maybe. BBEG was actually a kid who made or summoned the monster because they were angry about something, and fixing that something would be a possible way to get the kid to stop with the monster. It might work under "What is being concealed here," but it might not.

Or, I suppose, I could just give that info as a freebie for good RPing. I'll definitely see how everything works before I change anything.

Aldarc

Legend
It's less the number of questions as the type of questions.

Like, I dunno, if the mystery wasn't entirely about the monster and there were normal human concerns at work, maybe. BBEG was actually a kid who made or summoned the monster because they were angry about something, and fixing that something would be a possible way to get the kid to stop with the monster. It might work under "What is being concealed here," but it might not.

Or, I suppose, I could just give that info as a freebie for good RPing. I'll definitely see how everything works before I change anything.
I think that these questions are meant to point to the possible answers or clues without necessarily giving things away. So the Q&A should probably be less "What is being concealed here?" / "The kid summoned the monster" but more "What is being concealed here?" / "The kid seems to know more about the monster than they are letting on" or "the kid seems to have some relationship with the monster." The GM must answer truthfully but not fully, though I would add that they shouldn't necessarily be lies of omission that attempt to undermine player success either.

Remove ads