PC Races

Sigurd

First Post
Not an argument

With the counter-argument being that that's your view, and maybe other people don't want scary fey and undead.

Of course. It's not an argument but an observation. You may share it or not. You may occaisionally share it and violently disagree with it in turns.

As it suits you sir. :)

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
I don't think you should always water down 'races'. Players get this expectation that they will always be the most dangerous critter on the block - sometimes this just aint so.
Sigurd

I like the interaction between creatures and humans as seen in the sieries of the dresdin files (Author: Jim Butcher) where no one is the toughest kid on the block. Dresdin found the eldest goat of the three billy goats gruff that was able to hand his arse to him on a silver platter and had to make a deal with him. the Vampire Red court had their home base obliterated by a freak crash of a satalite. Now I know this doesnt happen in d and d, but the idea of balence is still there.

Sigurd

First Post
Dresden is a wonderful balance. The problem in D&D is that power levels change so quickly that you rejig all the player challenges to keep them challenging every 2 levels. You have to design your arch villains to level as well (and then justify it) or change them for other villains.

You know, that's not a bad tip. Level your baddies to toughen them up.

Sigurd

Silvercat Moonpaw

Adventurer
You have to design your arch villains to level as well.....
Fantasy Craft actually did this: NPCs are designed based on where a stat stands relative to an abstract midpoint. Then when you want to use them against a group of level X you just look up on a chart what numbers those relative values would be compared to level X and plug them in.

pawsplay

Hero
I have been sketching out my ideas. Writing in earnest will begin after I propose my thesis; I have drafts of a few of the concepts. There will be some familiar races, including some monster races, updated to Pathfinder. There will certainly, also, be races that break every rule I can think of in terms of what people say can and can't be done with PC races. The races should fit into a fairly standard campaign setting, without requiring you to replace existing races or invent places for them to live. And, of course, it will be a whole lot of game for not very much denarii.

zen_hydra

First Post
I have been sketching out my ideas. Writing in earnest will begin after I propose my thesis; I have drafts of a few of the concepts. There will be some familiar races, including some monster races, updated to Pathfinder. There will certainly, also, be races that break every rule I can think of in terms of what people say can and can't be done with PC races. The races should fit into a fairly standard campaign setting, without requiring you to replace existing races or invent places for them to live. And, of course, it will be a whole lot of game for not very much denarii.

Cool. I look forward to reading it.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
My short list:

Catpeople. And cat-people. I mean like Kimahri (from FFX, speaking of blue), Litorians (from AU/AE)... and like Red-13 (from FFVII).

Basically, I likes me furries, but give them some grit instead of fluff.

A golem race would be swell... I also enjoyed the crunch and fluff of Shale (et al) from Dragon Age. (and his dorsal shards were blue, I think...)

Draenei (blue!) ... er, sorry, Tieflings... that aren't called Tieflings. I like the Draenei story of crashing to earth from Space, using crystals as power sources, favoring the Paladin and Shaman classes. Awesome.

Remove ads