D&D 5E PHB Races Redone

Eubani

Hero
I was wondering what the PHB races would look like with the new racial format ie minus the cultural and added or altered abilities to make up the difference. Might be worth having a crack at it as I do not mind some of the new races we have been seeing lately. I will look at each race one at a time, breaking its parts down into biological or cultural, then see what the cultural can be replaced with.

Last edited:

Eubani

Hero
Lets have a look at the Elves first (Base race) They get:
+2 Dex Goodbye Free pick in new method
Lifespan: Would the long lifespan count or is it a story element that has no bearing? (Which is my thought)
Darkvision Biological trait stays
Keen Senses: Whilst being a biological trait instead of a cultural one many wish to see no bonus proficiencies in races) Up for discussion
Fey Ancestry: Biological
Trance Biological
Languages: Cultural Free pick in new method

I think Elves may be one of the easiest ones.

Last edited:

Eubani

Hero
Subrace High Elf:
+1 Int Goodbye Free Pick in new method
Elf Weapon Training Cultural
Cantrip Cultural
Extra language Cultural

Wow it seems High Elves are defined completely by culture not biology. Even the description does not provide a lot to hang things off.

Eubani

Hero
Subrace Wood Elf
+1 Wis Goodbye Free Pick in new method
Elf Weapon Training Cultural
Fleet of Foot Cultural
Mask of the Wild Cultural

2 for 2 Everything is cultural

Eubani

Hero
Subrace Dark Elf (Drow)
+1 Cha Goodbye Free Pick in new method
Superior Darkvision Bilogical
Sunlight Sensitivity I am going to go with Cultural
Drow Magic Biological
Drow Weapon Training Cultural

Finally a subrace with some biological meat to it.

Eubani

Hero
I would even argue that Sunlight Sensitivity is biological not cultural.

Good idea though
Is it Biological or is it because of culture there are Dark Elves that do no live underground and do not have it and there are dark Elves that come from underground and adapt over time.

Last edited:

Bolares

Hero
Is it Biological or is it because of culture there are Dark Elves that do no live underground and do not have it and there are ddark Elves that come from underground and adapt over time.
Even if they adapted over time? Doesn't it still make it biological? I may be wrong but I think biology can be affected by enviromental factors.

That's basically Darwinism isn't it?

Eubani

Hero
Looking through the PHB I am tempted to say screw it, and fix up the base races and do away with base races all together and add more to the base races or maybe do up a list of cultures and say pick one that fits in place of subraces.

Yaarel

Mind Mage
Personally, I only want a list of race feats to choose from, for each race.

For skills and similar add cultures for each race separately.

Maybe merge "culture" and "background" into the same thing. The cultural background can grant any proficiency or cantrip, plus a language, plus some interesting noncombat asset relating to a culture of a race. The Player Handbook backgrounds are moreorless human cultural backgrounds.

Dragonsbane

Proud Grognard
Even if they adapted over time? Doesn't it still make it biological? I may be wrong but I think biology can be affected by enviromental factors.

That's basically Darwinism isn't it?
It is. Personally, I think it is very plausible that a race has a cultural trait that developed into something biological, especially over the long time spans in fantasy histories.

Nefermandias

Adventurer
It is. Personally, I think it is very plausible that a race has a cultural trait that developed into something biological, especially over the long time spans in fantasy histories.
Perhaps a race that have at one point decided to live underground has developed a sensitivity to sunlight over the generations. It doesn't make the trait less biological in nature though.
People also tend to forget that things like tool use, pecking orders, caring for the young etc are part of animal's biology too, not only antlers size, claws sharpness and fur color.

Horwath

Hero
I would go with no racial ability mods for standard races.

point buy altered:
32 pt pool

8 - 0 pts
9 - 1 pt
10 - 2 pts
11 - 3 pts
12 - 4 pts
13 - 5 pts
14 - 6 pts
15 - 8 pts
16 - 10 pts
17 - 13 pts(this is optional, maybe keep starting stats at 16 max)

Horwath

Hero
Perhaps a race that have at one point decided to live underground has developed a sensitivity to sunlight over the generations. It doesn't make the trait less biological in nature though.
People also tend to forget that things like tool use, pecking orders, caring for the young etc are part of animal's biology too, not only antlers size, claws sharpness and fur color.
I would keep 120ft darkvision for drow together with sunlight penalty.

Maybe add half feat that removes sunlight penalty with some minor bonus added;

Daylight adaptation:
+1 to any ability score.
Remove sunlight sensitivity.
Gain additional usage of faeri fire per long rest.

Nefermandias

Adventurer

point buy altered:
32 pt pool

8 - 0 pts
9 - 1 pt
10 - 2 pts
11 - 3 pts
12 - 4 pts
13 - 5 pts
14 - 6 pts
15 - 8 pts
16 - 10 pts
Yes, I would suggest doing away with any racial bonus, abilities and lore too.

Let the PCs play as amorphous blobs of math and mechanical effects picked from a generic array of possibilities. That's the way we are heading anyway. Slowly, but steadily.

Eubani

Hero

point buy altered:
32 pt pool

8 - 0 pts
9 - 1 pt
10 - 2 pts
11 - 3 pts
12 - 4 pts
13 - 5 pts
14 - 6 pts
15 - 8 pts
16 - 10 pts
I am doing as per current method shown in UA at the moment.

Level Up!

An Advertisement

Advertisement4