PHB Ranger versus DRAGONSTAR Ranger

demajen

First Post
Which do you think is better?

I personally believe the Dragonstar ranger to be far more "rangery" than the PHB one, and I don't feel the loss of his two-weapon fighting abilities is a detriment to the character. In fact, I never really understood why a ranger would be an expert in two-weapon fighting anyway.

The archery feats and the terrain bonuses from the Dragonstar Range seem a lot more appropriate.

So would you let your players run the Dragonstar ranger in a normal D&D game. I personally would.

drnuncheon

Explorer
Voadam said:
I haven't seen it, what are the differences?

In a nutshell:
Replace Ambi/2WF with Point-Blank and Far Shot

1 level after each time you get a favored enemy, you get a favored terrain, giving you bonuses to Hide, intuit Direction, Knowledge (nature), Listen, Move Silently, Spot and Wilderness Lore in that terrain. Bonuses work the same as favored enemies.

Pathfinder ability - A successful Wilderness Lore check lets you move two steps faster on overland journeys (one step if you're leading a group)

J

Voadam

Legend
That does provide for a more classicly Robin Hood style Ranger (the core one can't even use his TWF with quarterstaves). I like the terrain feature. Is the PBS and FS only while in light armor?

The Wheel of Time Woodsman is similar with terrain bonuses and Improved Init in light armor instead of TWF/Amb. They also get 6 skill points/level and some limited fighter feats but no spells. The only problem for converting is the defense bonus feature, although I'm thinking of allowing them IMC straight without the DB.

What I like about the woodsman's init bonus is that it doesn't drive to any specific fighting style as much as Two weapon or ranged only bonuses do.

Enkhidu

Explorer
If you do decide to use the WoT Woodsman for a ranger, remember that WoT is set up with the idea that magic is not prevelant, and the Defense Bonus was put in (at least in my opinion) specifically to counteract that magic item deficiency (as it applies to AC).

So simply disregard the DB.

Also, remember to Use the standard Ranger Saving Throw Progression, because WoT weaves may not be prevelant, but they are supposed to be quite powerful (and saving throws have been adjusted so that everyone is more likely to be affected).

That set up has been working for my group, at least!

Well, Two Weapon Fighting Abilities in Melee are very useless in a DragonStar Campaign, where even a halfling can fire a blater pistol inflicting 3d6 points of electricity damage. :)
Point Blank Shot, on the other hand, doesn`t do much - 1 point of extra damage isn`t much when you roll 3 damage dies with most weapons. :) Far Shot, again, becomes more useful.
The most important thing is that this compensates the lack of fighter bonus feats for a ranger - you will want all these nice combat related feats like "autofire" or "crack shot", but if you have to start with the basic feats, a Ranger will never hold its own in combat against fighters...

So, the changes are good and okay in DragonStar...

Remove ads