Picard Season 3

MarkB

Legend
Also, family is a super-important theme in TNG.

What's episode directly after "Best of Both Worlds, part 2"?

"Family".

(and I seem to recall a family crisis in the middle of Wrath of Khan...)
It's pretty much standard practice in any drama to provide some personal stakes to go along with the larger ones.

The Federation is hundreds or thousands of worlds, with trillions of members. For the vast majority of the population, a story like that of Voyager would not be hugely interesting or memorable. It might be on the news for a couple of nights because of where it came back from, but it wouldn't be some "story everyone knows". Don't confuse the Federation and Starfleet - that's like confusing the US and the US Navy. Space travel nerds would know the story for sure - and it seems like Jack is one of those - but most people? Nah.
Maybe. Personally I think it's more likely that their media obnoxiously obsessed over "our lost crew in the Delta quadrant" for a couple years, that Voyager was an obligatory thing for every Trivial Pursuit edition for the next half century or so to have a question about, and that referencing "the Voyager incident" became a standard part of any entertainment playing on 2370s nostalgia.

Really what I'm getting at is that, unlike our other hero ships, Voyager has a basic story, and is famous for one thing, with some superlatives attached, and that's the sort of thing that humans like the remember. If there's any Starfleet ship whose name would pass into common knowledge, that would be the one. At least that's what I think the case would be amongst humans, I don't know much about the memory habits of other Federation races.

Ryujin

Legend
Maybe. Personally I think it's more likely that their media obnoxiously obsessed over "our lost crew in the Delta quadrant" for a couple years, that Voyager was an obligatory thing for every Trivial Pursuit edition for the next half century or so to have a question about, and that referencing "the Voyager incident" became a standard part of any entertainment playing on 2370s nostalgia.

Really what I'm getting at is that, unlike our other hero ships, Voyager has a basic story, and is famous for one thing, with some superlatives attached, and that's the sort of thing that humans like the remember. If there's any Starfleet ship whose name would pass into common knowledge, that would be the one. At least that's what I think the case would be amongst humans, I don't know much about the memory habits of other Federation races.
Sort of like how many people know the name of Shackleton's expeditionary vessel, even today, off the top of their heads. You go to a place that few, if any have gone before, and you tend to be remembered. Then there's the famous holodeck programme "Photons Be Free", that changed how holo entities were treated. they were definitely in media.

MarkB

Legend

At the same time, though, it's one amongst dozens of Intrepid-class vessels, and we don't know how famous and storied any of them are. It might simply not be the only famous vessel of its class out there.

Honestly, the most surprising thing is that there was enough left of Voyager to stick in a museum after Starfleet Intelligence and the Corps of Engineers got through with it, given all the Borg tech and future tech it was packed with by the time it got home.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever

What's the episode directly after "Best of Both Worlds, part 2"?

"Family".
And right after that one we got the episode titled "Brothers," dealing with Data and Lore, whor are kinda like family.

Stalker0

Legend
but on the other hand the events of that series should have seriously warned Starfleet off from the degree of ship-to-ship comms integration referenced in this episode.
Not to mention the borg themselves. One of the key ways the enterprise beat the Borg after Wolf 359 was sending a virus through their interconnected network.

Though to be fair I can hardly blame them. I mean look at our civilization today. We are constantly connecting more and more, even though we know it vastly increases the security risk, as you get in the door once and you have access to arsenals of resources. Its hard to argue security in the face of efficiency.

What on earth are you talking about? Unless you've got some massive spoilers, this isn't an "end of the universe" show.
The Changeling plan is to destroy the Federation, right? The fiendish plot is to get "all" of Starfleet there for Founders Day, then blow up the Sol system and all the ships. No ships equals no Starfleet equals no Federation.

And...um....somehow use Picards real old dead body and Pciards son.......for something?

What's the episode directly after "Best of Both Worlds, part 2"?

"Family".
Though that is my point. So when the Borg cube was zooming towards Earth, did anyone go to a holographic bar and talk about family for a while? Did Riker get a sudden call about a surprise son he had? After the battle of Wolf359, did Crusher fall in love with a ghost?

No...none of that happened DURING the crisis. Afterwards, yes. That is when it should happen.

(and I seem to recall a family crisis in the middle of Wrath of Khan...)
Except that 'middle' was all a nice plan to win by Kirk and Spock. When Picard just wanders into holo ten forward, again, he is just being old grandpa Picard.

USS Voyager is a great story: ship lost on the other side of the galaxy makes it home. It's the "Apollo 13" of the 24th century, or at least the "Sully".

Wonder if we will ever get the story of the USS New Jersey? I guess she is the original Constitution class that Picard mentioned was in the Fleet Museum back in TNGs Relics. Wonder if the New Jersey was named after the WW2 Battleship? (yea, I know in the real world it was named for the showrunner guy as he is from New Jersey).

Hussar

Legend
Ok, fun episode, but, sheesh, the nostalgia wank is getting a bit thick. I mean, holy crap, I get the power of nostalgia, but, Picard is turning into a Clip Show. Literally.

Ok, fine, I get that this is wrapping everything up in a neat little bow and is just massive amounts of fan service, but, good grief.

Zardnaar

Legend
Ok, fun episode, but, sheesh, the nostalgia wank is getting a bit thick. I mean, holy crap, I get the power of nostalgia, but, Picard is turning into a Clip Show. Literally.

Ok, fine, I get that this is wrapping everything up in a neat little bow and is just massive amounts of fan service, but, good grief.

Seems to be what people want.

I don't get all the references as I didn't watch Voyager.

Remove ads