Pie Wedge Initiative?

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
In Fantasy Infinity, I'm using something like this. In my system, there is a (fairly abstract, compared to 3rd and 4th generation D&D) "battle board" everyone is assumed to be sitting around anyway,
Don't worry about the necro - it's time for RangerW to let us know how his game went, anyway.

The battle board idea is pretty interesting, since props can be a great GM tool. But then I start picturing Warhammer Fantasy, where you need a prop for everything...and the interest is gone.

I'm guessing that Celebrim is right-on regarding use of pie-initiative in storytelling games, but I'll never know - I'm too tactically bloodthirsty.

Re:OP, I think the pie-board with miniatures is too clunky. There's already a shortage of space on many game tables. Just run initiative on a 0-9 scale, and add the speeds of each action. When a character's initiative goes into the teens, subtract 10. If PCs want to track their own initiatives, they can just set a d10 out in front of themselves. Resolving all actions on a given count at the same time isn't a bad idea, but you could also give priority based on character features (like a Dex score), or give priority to the actions on that count that use faster speeds (the 1-speed move goes before the 6-speed spell, if they both fall on count X).

The game went terribly because I had not finished figuring out how the rules would work for a whole game. The initiative was actually ok, but the rest of the game fell apart. :)

Remove ads