Pineapple Express: Someone Is Wrong on the Internet?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I dunno, "this guy did the same things you're being made fun of for and is actually foundational, so go off girl" feels pretty much in line with what you're saying; I certainly can't disagree with anything here

I think the issue lies in what we think are "the same things".

It is not clear to me that Dante's reference to Virgil is "the same" as the thing Paula Smith parodied with her Mary Sue.

Nor do I think the rest of the work, beyond that reference, is all that typical of fanfic, such that literarily, they are not "the same".

YMMV.

Last edited:

Gradine

🏳️‍⚧️ (she/her) 🇵🇸
I think the issue lies in what we think are "the same things".

It is not clear to me that Dante's reference to Virgil is "the same" as the thing Paula Smith parodied with her Mary Sue.

Nor do I think the rest of the work, beyond that reference, is all that typical of fanfic, such that literarily, they are not "the same".

YMMV.
Yeah I was looking for where Dante was actually being torn down in the first place, but this answers it. The comparison itself is the insult.

Because Dante is literarily good, and the kind of fanfiction that specifically teenage girls like to write/read is terrible.

Got it.

1000000510.jpg

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
My take on Dante:

The Divine Comedy is divided into The Inferno, The Purgatorio, and The Paradiso. I note that most people praise The Inferno, but never really read the remaining 2/3 of the work. I also like the first 1/3rd, but I’m not impressed that much with the other two books.

In my view, then, Dante is being lauded for a smallish portion of his “greatest” work. But in fairness, the same could probably be said of the works of many creators.

…and Theodore Sturgeon’s law states it’s a universal truth.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
My take on Dante:

The Divine Comedy is divided into The Inferno, The Purgatorio, and The Paradiso. I note that most people praise The Inferno, but never really read the remaining 2/3 of the work. I also like the first 1/3rd, but I’m not impressed that much with the other two books.

In my view, then, Dante is being lauded for a smallish portion of his “greatest” work. But in fairness, the same could probably be said of the works of many creators.

…and Theodore Sturgeon’s law states it’s a universal truth.
The first ... half, or third, or two-thirds--it's been decades, and I don't remember where the break is--of Purgatorio was also a good read, not wildly dissimilar in content and theme from Inferno (though obviously redemption was happening in Purgatorio and approximately impossible in Inferno). The back portion of Purgatorio and Paradiso are certainly less my jam, and at least in the Ciardi translation more notes-laden, but my take is that those "fun" parts of the Comedy don't make sense--or at least make less sense--if you don't read the rest of it.

Remove ads