Pineapple Express: Someone Is Wrong on the Internet?

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
It's important to grow in one's knowledge and belief. The desire (expectation?) is for one to mirror or reinforce the other, and that is seldom the case. Both need regular examination and reevaluation. Both need to change over the course of a lifetime.
Most distressing to me is to watch people regress in this regard. "You should know better than that, you've got the education/ experience/ etc to prove it!" And yet.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Most distressing to me is to watch people regress in this regard. "You should know better than that, you've got the education/ experience/ etc to prove it!" And yet.
804FB76B-6FD6-42C9-BF94-CC283DEAFF81.jpeg

Fear that this will be me (and far too soon) is, IMO, the scariest part about getting old. I can come to terms with the fact that my body will fall apart some day. But research is showing that people who develop Alzheimer's (or similar forms of dementia) actually start the earliest phases as young as their 40s. It's just that the symptoms take much longer to be noticeable. HAL could feel his mind going; what if I can't?

Well, that's enough existential terror for today. Time for another cup of coffee.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Look up the original text and make a list with it to prove someone on here is wrong yet again... or do some more genealogy things with the Blues Brothers on in the background?

I might actually make the right choice this time!

Edit: Is the Penguin secretly a jedi?

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
That ... doesn't seem like the approach I would have taken, there, but it's possible I've paid more attention to that poster than you have--or, I might be misreading your approach.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
...’but the term Mary Sue didn’t get coined until men reading sf fanfic noticed young women doing it.

Um...

The term "Mary Sue" was coined in a short story written by a woman, published in a fanzine by women:

"A Trekkie's Tale," by Paula Smith, published in 1973 in the fanzine Menagerie, edited by Smith and Sharon Ferraro. The story is a parody of trends they saw in submissions to their 'zine.

Star Trek fandom and fanfic was rather dominated by women at the time.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Um...

The term "Mary Sue" was coined in a short story written by a woman, published in a fanzine by women:

"A Trekkie's Tale," by Paula Smith, published in 1973 in the fanzine Menagerie, edited by Smith and Sharon Ferraro. The story is a parody of trends they saw in submissions to their 'zine.

This is also true of the term "slash fiction."

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Supporter
Um...

I completely agree with this as a matter of history.

That said, the appropriation of a term in mass culture can often be different when other groups get ahold of it. I don't want to get into the third rail of enworld, so I will just say that, for example, the "w" word that is so prevalent was originally used in a specific and culturally-positive context before it was appropriated by others.

Remove ads