D&D 5E Places of Power as magic rewards in D&D

OptionalRule

Adventurer
Exploration should be part of the adventure! Dive into our latest blog post featuring rare and powerful locations for your next DnD campaign! From the ancient Echoing Library to the mystical Feywild Glade, your adventures will never be the same. I've used these in my game to great success. Solved the Owlbear-Wildshape debate by setting up an adventure to find a Primordial Nexus, or Old Owl Well in Lost Mines of Phandelver as a Sanctuary of Spirts. I hope you'll enjoy this for your game too.

You Have the Power - Places of Power in D&D

Interesting. If my memory doesn't fail, there was a reward like this in 3.5 Dungeon Master Guide 2, and in 3.5 Planar Handbook there was a feat about nodes.

OptionalRule

Adventurer
Interesting. If my memory doesn't fail, there was a reward like this in 3.5 Dungeon Master Guide 2, and in 3.5 Planar Handbook there was a feat about nodes.
The idea has been floating around since the earlies days of DnD so it wouldn't surprise me if it was more codified in 3e.

5e uses this as the basis for Lair Actions, which is fine enough but it's tied to the monster and doesn't present much to the player. I've used this for some great adventures. I used a version of the Sanctuary of Souls that was also secretly cursed, binding the attuned necromancer to return as a Wraith when they died. Sparked a whole adventure of the party going back to the site to release their spirt so it could be resurrected.

I addressed that whole "Can you wildshape into an Owlbear" thing by using the Primal Nexus and setting the party to remove the evil Druid cult using it.

Been useful to me and I wanted to try to define it better in a way I hope other folks can use it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases