D&D 5E Planescape, Bigby, Phandelver and the Deck of Many Things: Covers & Details Revealed!

The covers of the upcoming D&D books — including Planescape, Glory of the Giants, and the Deck of Many Things have been revealed.

• August 15th -- Bigby Presents: Glory of the Giants ($59.95)
  • August 15th -- The Practically Complete Guide to Dragons ($39.95)
  • September 19th -- Phandelver and Below: The Shattered Obelisk ($59.95)
  • October 16th -- Planescape: Adventures in the Multiverse ($TBA)
  • November 14th -- Book of Many Things ($TBA)

IMG_9191.jpeg

bigby.jpeg

Coming August 15th with two variants. Lore about giants, 76 stat blocks, feats, and a giant subclass.

IMG_9192.jpeg

3 hardcovers in a boxed set-- 96 page guide to Sigil, 64-page bestiary, and 96-page adventure, along with a poster map and DM screen. Coming October 16th.

IMG_9193.jpeg

224-page adventure for levels 1-12, poster map, 16 new monsters. Coming September 19th.

IMG_9194.jpeg

66 illustrated cards, 192-page book with lore, character options, magic items, and monsters, 80-page card reference guide, all in a slipcase. Coming November 14th.​

Last edited by a moderator:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Callbacks are great.

"Please give me this thing I already have, but with the new numbers" is a creative dead end, though, that I urge people to not convince themselves they want.
The Great Modron March and Dead Gods are heavily tied into the whole "Return of Orcus" plot thread, with him having been killed and his name erased from the multiverse by Kiaransalee for most of 2e, which is a very different state of affairs than his current status in canon.

Even if the March is a framing device they want to reuse, I doubt it will be a one-for-one translation of the old 2e module storyline.
For sure: I expect the March itself will ne a plot point or frame (since it marches through all the Gaye Towns being detailed in this set), but not a one for one for an obscure old module.

Quickleaf

Legend
Solarpunk is post-scarcity science fiction, often with a strong enviornmentalist bent. So not Sigil.
Oh, that's not what I meant. I was trying to describe the art style of the piece I linked. I didn't know how to describe the style (I know I've seen it elsewhere)... so I was just throwing out motifs that I'd seen which approximated how that piece struck me...

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Given that the march occurs every 289 years, perhaps this new adventure will simply be about the next one rather than a rehash of the last one.
If there is a march -- and it's a real one, not some sort of fake out -- I'd expect this to be a likely way to go.

But even more likely, IMO, is that WotC sticks to their guns that only 5E continuity matters for 5E products, and brings back the elements they think work for Planescape (almost certainly the factions in some form) and dumps or changes the stuff they don't think works, much like they did with Ravenloft, with presumably the same measured and calm response from fans.

So this could be the "same" march as in the old module, but since all of the other elements around it are different, it won't functionally matter. Maybe this time the adventure will be bringing about back Vecna or Tharizdun. Probably it'll be an entirely different story.

Last edited:

Given that the march occurs every 289 years, perhaps this new adventure will simply be about the next one rather than a rehash of the last one.
To be sure - that's the most likely. The March in 2e was very specifically "off schedule" by 150-200 years, so it would make sense that it ultimately didn't count with regards to resetting the timer, particularly once Tenebrous moved on and a proper Primus was elevated into the vacancy.

I'd have to double check the timeline, but we may be relatively close to the typical March "start date" given where the Forgotten Realms timeline is these days...

Last edited:

Incenjucar

Legend
Sigil is a good place to find all kinds of friendly fiends, brain-eating and otherwise.

--

A mission to help make sure the Modron March runs normally so the multiverse can heal would actually be a fun caravan-style adventure.

Last edited:

JEB

Legend
If there is a march -- and it's a real one, not some sort of fake out -- I'd expect this to be a likely way to go.

But even more likely, IMO, is that WotC sticks to their guns that only 5E continuity matters for 5E products, and brings back the elements they think work for Planescape (almost certainly the factions in some form) and dumps or changes the stuff they don't think works, much like they did with Ravenloft, with presumably the same measured and calm response from fans.

So this could be the "same" march as in the old module, but since all of the other elements around it are different, it won't functionally matter. Maybe this time the adventure will be bringing about back Vecna or Tharizdun. Probably it'll be an entirely different story.
Yup. Folks hoping for a return of classic Planescape would do well to quash that expectation. At best, they might do a 5E Dragonlance, and stuff everything they don't like from the old setting into a closet off-screen. But more likely is a 5E Ravenloft-style reboot, seasoned with some classic Easter eggs here and there (particularly from Torment).

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases