• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Planescape/Gestalt] Coils within Coils

Shoel Sweeny

First Post
Rayex said:
Crozixia was from an early age curious about the planes not as pure as Celestia. She was granted leave to explore the planes for some time, untill it was time she came back and did her duty as all Trumpet Archons are bound to do.

Just ariving in Sigil three days ago she is still not familiar with the immense city and all its wonders. She's heard and read about it, of course, but nothing could prepare her for what was in store...

Crozixias skin is the color of dark emerald, her eyes the color of molten gold. Her wings are still small and frail, barely able to hold her up.

She is a caring soul, but if pressed she can become fierce and dangerous, wielding her greatsword with considerable skill.

Crozixia, A female trumpet Archon/fighter. Using the progression from Savage Species. She'll be a frontline fighter and a utility spellcaster, from her spellcasting abilities as an Archon. Her spell selection will mostly be about enhancing her own and her parties abilities.

I'm undecided on whether or not to allow the large LA creatures within the Gestalt system, if you want to send me the bare bones statistics I'd like to playtest your character abit to see where it lies as far as balance issue goes. My email can be reached through Enworld or by the link on the post above.

Rayex

First Post
Shoel Sweeny said:
I'm undecided on whether or not to allow the large LA creatures within the Gestalt system, if you want to send me the bare bones statistics I'd like to playtest your character abit to see where it lies as far as balance issue goes. My email can be reached through Enworld or by the link on the post above.

Well, using the progression as in Savage Species, I'll get the abilities for a "normal" creature spread over 20 levels total. It's supposed to be balanced compared to a regular class, on a level-to-level basis.

Shoel Sweeny

First Post
Rayex said:
Well, using the progression as in Savage Species, I'll get the abilities for a "normal" creature spread over 20 levels total. It's supposed to be balanced compared to a regular class, on a level-to-level basis.

Yes, I realize. But part of that balance is maintained through the fact that during some levels a SS character gets no HD at all, but this is offset by the Gestalt rules, so special care must be taken to make sure that class is within the range of the rest of the party.

ByteRynn

First Post
I sent you an e-mail about my character concept, though, looking back at the boards, I am afraid that my concept, while it will get along famously with many of the other characters, would also fill the very same "Look, I am a cool and interesting secondary fighter with a load of skills!"

I may change my mind...

Kafkonia

First Post
Well, if Shoel turns down what I send him for Aki, I do have a back-up Paladin of Freedom/Battle Sorceror who would fill in as a front-line fighter fairly well.

nonamazing

Explorer
Ronthias, 'The Master'

"You are challenging me? Ah, you are ignorant, lost, and confused. Please allow my sacred fists to grant you enlightenment!"​

Name: Ronthias, usually referred to as 'The Master' or 'Master Ronthias'
Race: Zenythri
Class: Monk of the passive way 5 // cloistered Cleric 5
Faction: The Transcendent Order
Alignment: Lawful Good (believes that order and good are inextricably linked)

*SMACK* "Rule number thirty-seven! Never assume an unarmed opponent is also a defenseless one!"​

Appearance: Ronthias is an elderly-looking Zenythri with light purple skin that has taken on a slightly metallic sheen. His eyes look like pupilless orbs of silver, while his long moustache and beard seem to be weaved from threads of pure mithril. He walks hunched over, leaning on a staff, though his appearance of decrepitude is deceptive--he is quite hale and hearty. Although his beard and moustache are of the finest quality, Ronthias is otherwise completely bald.

"Do you understand why I defeated you? It is because you fight without discipline, flailing about like a demented monkey..."​

History: For many, many years, those few who wished to achieve mastery of the passive way would seek out Master Ronthias at his Seventh Circle dojo, hidden somewhere in the vast metropolis of Sigil. And if they found him, he might just judge them worthy enough to become his students. Many were turned away. Ronthias was very highly selective, and his bias against chaos often influenced his decisions about which students to accept and which to reject. He refused, for the most part, to tutor members of the 'chaotic' races: tieflings, chanods, bariurs, and most primes.

During the time that the dojo was still young, Ronthias rudely rejected a girl named Indole, a skilled but severely undisciplined chanod. She vowed her revenge. Indole fled to mad Limbo, where she spent thirteen times thirteen years training in the midst of pure chaos. When she returned, she had mastered the unique martial art of 'Limbo Style', which she used to utterly defeat and humilate Ronthias in front of his students. Disgraced, The Master had no choice but to close down his dojo.

Ronthias realizes now that his outlook was too limited, and that he had failed to truly master his style. He wanders the far planes humbly seeking to regain the wisdom he foolishly thought he had. Recently, he has heard legends of Xitomat, the Washed Monk, an incredible master who supposedly created all the martial arts styles known to mortals.

"Chaos? Perhaps it is nothing more than a lie. Some would say that order is only a small facet of all-encompassing chaos. I say, what if the reverse is actually the case?"​

Personality: Ronthias was already wise and insightful. His defeat taught him humility. These days, he is not nearly as smugly superior as most Zenythri are. He is finally beginning to take the teachings of his school to heart, becomeing more of a passive observer. At times, he believes he can catch a glimpse of an underlying order beneath even the most chaotic-seeming acts and events. He is willing to tolerate even the most chaotic of individuals, and tries to look upon them in a spirt of understanding.

Ronthias sees himself as a teacher, first and foremost. He constantly strives to teach all those around him, even his opponents. He understands that the only way to improve a student is to push them to the limit of their abilities. Thus, his training and teachings are often brutally harsh, peppered with impossible-to-answer koans and riddles.

"Which is greater? The wise, stoic turtle? Or the patient, tireless hawk?"​
[SBLOCK]
Attributes (40 point buy - 4 points for +1 LA = 36 points):
Strength: 12 {+1} (4 point buy)
Dexterity: 18 {+4} (8 point buy, +1 level, +2 racial)
Constitution: 12 {+1} (4 point buy)
Intelligence: 14 {+2} (6 point buy)
Wisdom: 18 {+4} (10 point buy, +2 racial)
Charisma: 10 {+0} (4 point buy, -2 racial)
--(total points spent: 36)
[/SBLOCK]
"You want to understand my teachings? Then fight!"​
[SBLOCK]
Combat:
Base Attack Bonus: +3 / Grapple: +4 (Str +1)
--Flurry of blows: +5/+5 (+3 base, +2 class)
Armor Class: 21 (+4 Dex, +4 Wis, +1 Class, +2 natural)
--touch 19 / flat-footed 17
Hit points: 5d8+5
Initiative: +4 (Dex)
Speed: 40 (30 base, +10 class)

Fortitude save: +5 (+4 base, +1 Con)
Reflex Save: +8 (+4 base, +4 Dex)
Will Save: +8 (+4 base, +4 Wis)

Unarmed: +8 melee, 1d8+1 damage, 20/x2 critical
Unarmed flurry: +10/+10, 1d8+1 damage, 20/x2 critical
Kama-de: +4 melee, 1d8+1 damage, 20/x2 critical
Quarterstaff: +4 melee, 1d6+1 damage, 20/x2 critical
Shuriken: +7 ranged, 1 damage, 20/x2 critical
[/SBLOCK]
"Think you can avoid this? Inevitable Strike of Truth!"​
[SBLOCK]
Class and Racial abilities:
Electricity, fire, and sonic resistance 5 (racial)
Spell-like ability: true strike, 1/day (racial)
+2 racial bonus on Balance checks and on Survival checks made to intuit direction
Darkvision: 60 feet (racial)
Bonus class skill: Bluff (passive way)
Evasion (Ex): no damage on successful reflex saves
Flurry of Blows (Ex): see above
Unarmed Strike (Ex): 1d8 damage, can be lethal or nonlethal
Still Mind (Ex): +2 on saves versus enchantment
Ki Strike (Su): unarmed attacks are treated as magic weapons
Slow Fall (Ex): falls considered 20 feet less than they actually are
Purity of Body (Ex): immunity to all nonmagical diseases
Lore (Ex): similar to bardic knowledge, check +7
Domains: War (bonus feat: Weapon Focus), Law (+1 to CL when casting [Law] spells)
[/SBLOCK]
"I have trained many years for this moment, old foe. My skills are honed, my style is mastered. Let our battle decide the truth of our beliefs!"​
[SBLOCK]
Skills and Feats: (48 skill points; 4 sp per level)
Skill Focus: Bluff (1st level feat; grants +3 to Bluff checks)
Cipher Trance (2rd level feat; enter trance 1/day for 7 rounds, +4 to Dex while in Trance, dazed for one round after Trance ends)
Weapon Finesse (3rd level feat; use Dex instead of Str with light weapons)
Weapon Focus: Unarmed (bonus feat from domain; +1 to unarmed melee attack)
Combat Expertise (bonus feat from passive way; can take up to -3 on attacks to gain up to +3 to armor class)
Improved Trip (bonus feat from passive way; can attempt trips without incurring attacks of opportunity; +4 bonus on trip attempts)

Balance +12 (4 ranks, +4 Dex, +2 racial, +2 synergy)
Bluff +12 (8 ranks, +1 Cha, +3 feat)
Climb +5 (4 ranks, +1 Str)
Concentration +9 (8 ranks, +1 Con)
Diplomacy +5 (+1 Cha, +4 synergy)
Jump +9 (6 ranks, +1 Str, +2 synergy)
Listen +4 (+4 Wis)
Profession: Teacher +8 (4 ranks, +4 Wis)
Sense Motive +10 (6 ranks, +4 Wis)
Spot +4 (+4 Wis)
Tumble +14 (8 ranks, +4 Dex, +2 synergy)
[/SBLOCK]
"Know this: a true warrior progresses only insofar as he unlocks his inner spirit. In tune with the universe, the master can perform feats neither weapon nor fist alone can acomplish."​
[SBLOCK]
Spellcasting: Ronthias is a spontaneous divine caster
0th level spells per day: 5
0th level spells known: create water, cure minor wounds, detect magic, guidance, resistance, virtue
1st level spells per day: 5
1st level spells known: magic weapon, protection from chaos, axiomatic water, cure light wounds, divine favor, shield of faith
2nd level spells per day: 4
2nd level spells known: calm emotions, spiritual weapon, cure moderate wounds, zone of truth
3rd level spells per day: 3
3rd level spells known: magic circle against chaos, magic vestment
[/SBLOCK]
"Ha! Material possesions are unimportant. Still, they can occasionally be useful."​
[SBLOCK]
Equipment:
gnarled old quarterstaff (cost -, weight 4)
kama-de (larger than kama, one-handed weapon) (cost 2, weight 2)
ten black shuriken, 'dishonor' (cost 2, weight 1)
ten white shuriken, 'purity' (cost 2, weight 1)
old, yet well-kept robes (cost 5, weight 2)
ring of sustenance, 'oroboros ring' (cost 2500, weight -)
amulet of natural armor +2, 'skin of iron' (cost 8000, weight 1)
wand of cure light wounds, 'second breath' (cost 750, weight 1)
potion of bull's strength (cost 300, weight 1)
--total weight 13, all remaining gold given away
[/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

Ferrix

Explorer
Magnus Fighter 5-Binder 5

Magnus is a planar human brought up in Sigil and come to maturity in the middle of the Faction War. Sure, it's a bit barmy to think about all these sods getting booted from the City of Doors, but the violent air that held sway before the war broke out was definately unnerving.

He had decided against his families strict religious values that the Gods weren't really all they cracked up to be, they were definately not worth his respect and the universe held no meaning of its own. Sure, the powers existed, but they didn't have a right to demand the worship of others, they should get on fine by themselves and let others be.

Magnus set out to forge his own life, his own individuality apart from the undifferentiated virtuous herd.

Knowing that in the multiverse the powers that be were not the only ones that offered power, and that strength of arms couldn't shield you from the true ravages of the planes, he set out to unlock these mysteries for himself.

What he stumbled upon set even himself to thinking, in his research there were entities beyond life and death, which dwell in no place nor time yet reach out to be bound to souls and grant them power.

Lord_Raven88

First Post
Shoel Sweeny said:
Glad to hear it.

you can send me an email through en-world (by clicking on my portrait) or can send it directly to eschatonrebirth@yahoo.com

Education is a feat from the FRCS which grants you all knowledge skills as class skills, I'm going to limit you to only two bonus knowledge skills, but that should be enough to get you through. The feat must also be taken at 1st level.
Info sent, once I get back to work I'll look at posting my character sheet.

Pyrex

First Post
Oooh, this looks like fun. Once I figure out which bases haven't been covered I'll post a concept.

Edit: Since I haven't seen much in the way of dedicated Tanks, I'm thinking Warforged Ftr/Soul Knife.

Last edited:

Rayex

First Post
Shoel Sweeny said:
Yes, I realize. But part of that balance is maintained through the fact that during some levels a SS character gets no HD at all, but this is offset by the Gestalt rules, so special care must be taken to make sure that class is within the range of the rest of the party.

Ok.

Mail sent to you with everything you should need.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads