D&D 5E Planescape shows up in the wild. Tease from Chris Perkins.

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
I go over 3pp content as I encounter it (whether on my own or through a player bringing it to my attention), review it, and add it to my all-emcompassing living document of Micah's houserules if I like it. Works out great, and it's fun besides.
This is typically how I handle things with my games, I have a list of homebrew Classes, Subclasses, Spells, and other Player Options in docs that I post in my group’s discord so they can peruse at their leisure. This isn’t even including player mechanics that get made up on the spot during play, like my players catching the souls of enemies and using them like pokemon/daily power ups.

It can be a lot of work to have to sift through the various homebrew to pick out what is usable for my campaigns, as even some very well regarded 3pp creators are really not that great at creating good player options. However it’s very rewarding for me because I often use those player options I really like to help with world building. How would the Circle of the Forge come to exist in my world,? What kind of Deity would honor an Oath of Debauchery? What would a patron of a Parasite Warlock want in exchange for granting a player power?

So many near ideas.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
This is typically how I handle things with my games, I have a list of homebrew Classes, Subclasses, Spells, and other Player Options in docs that I post in my group’s discord so they can peruse at their leisure. This isn’t even including player mechanics that get made up on the spot during play, like my players catching the souls of enemies and using them like pokemon/daily power ups.

It can be a lot of work to have to sift through the various homebrew to pick out what is usable for my campaigns, as even some very well regarded 3pp creators are really not that great at creating good player options. However it’s very rewarding for me because I often use those player options I really like to help with world building. How would the Circle of the Forge come to exist in my world,? What kind of Deity would honor an Oath of Debauchery? What would a patron of a Parasite Warlock want in exchange for granting a player power?

So many near ideas.
Its why I still love this hobby after 40 years.

Ir'revrykal

Villager
Kids still read books, but paper reference material specifically (which is what a 2E Setting softcover would be) has been disproportionately deprecated by Wikis and such. And WotC has explicitly said they don't those old school encyclopedic Settinf books because they can't compete with fan Wikis.
Where did they say this?

Ir'revrykal

Villager
A lot of places over the years, but I recall that being mentioned at the creator summit. Wikis and Google image search are WotC main product competition.
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I was questioning your claim. I'm part of the Forgotten Realms Wiki staff and we've just never seen Wizards mention us or acknowledge that we exist. So it'd be interesting to hear!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I was questioning your claim. I'm part of the Forgotten Realms Wiki staff and we've just never seen Wizards mention us or acknowledge that we exist. So it'd be interesting to hear!
No worries, I hear ya. It got up fairly frequently in the "Lore You Should Know" bits back when they did those. And to be honest, as a source of frustration, mainly.

darjr

I crit!
Justice shows off his copy.

IMG_8352.jpeg

Seeing a lot of buzz out in the wild about #planescape today, so what better time to pick up this souvenir from an afternoon in the office? I can't wait for evervone to see what the team put together. #dnd #WOTC staff

Remove ads