• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Played Basic D&D for the first time in over 20 years last night...

rogueattorney

Adventurer
A few points on playing BD&D as a grown up:

It's amazing what you can do with that rule set when you approach it as an adult playing with other adults. Things that we would have screwed up when we were 12 can be handled much easier now. For example, customization. I prefer to label the starting 7 classes as "a good start." It's quite easy, when a player has a character concept that doesn't fit within the main 7 to do a little ad hoc-ing with the main 7 as a template to put together something that works.

It helps when viewing classes as very broad archetypes that encompass all sorts of characters, rather than as the professions themselves. No one, for example, calls themself a "fighter" rather they'd be a soldier, pirate, brigand, mercenary, or whatever. Clerics are scholars, bureaucrats, hermits and so on. Magic-users are any type of person who might use magic, etc. "Elves" don't have to all be of the Tolkien-esque variety, but can be any of various fey creatures of all shapes and sizes. (The original elf illustration in OD&D looks like someone you'd be more likely to find in Santa's workshop than Rivendale.)

Also, look at the spell research rules. A lot of people's problems with the "Vancian" system can be gotten around with creative use of spell research. Custom spells researched for narrowly focused purposes can be used to get around a lot of issues that aren't covered by the rules in a way similar to the ritual system in 4e.

On a related note, when pcs are stuck, instead of resorting to an attribute roll as a quick go around, encourage them to roll play it out. Encourage them to consult npcs, especially sages and the like. Encourage npc interaction in general and have your players read up on charisma, retainers, and hirelings.

And finally, don't sweat the small stuff. Don't like "backwards" AC? Change it. 9 through 2 are essentially column labels on a chart anyway. They could have just as easily have been 1 through 8 or A through H or whatever. Rename them, turn them into the target number, whatever.

ancientvaults

Explorer
Our group played 3.x after years of other games and then tried 4e and it wasn't our cup of tea. Now it is Labyrinth Lord (a retro-clone of B/X with an Advanced companion that adds some 1E-isms) or Pathfinder that we play the most of. I find it amusing that many people find older versions more limiting as our group finds newer editions tell you what you can do more over the player or GM just doing it. We don't need skills or feats to come up with anything that you can do in 3.x or 4e. A simplified platform often opens things up more than a complicated one.

Another game that might be fun for your group is the Peryton RPG, which is a very streamlined take on 3.x. I am really surprised that more people looking for a lighter alternative to bulky systems don't look into this game.

Goblinoid Games

First Post
Now I need to decide which flavor of that game to go with if we're going to be playing it regularly. Labyrinth Lord with some elements of its Advanced Edition Companion might be the best fit.

These two books provide a lot of flexibility, you can stay basic or include classes, mix them up, etc. Drop on by our forums, there is a nice and friendly community there to bounce ideas off of. Welcome aboard!

:: Index

A

amerigoV

=

3e and 4e have turned out to be interesting gamer psych experiments. 3e had rules to cover most situations, some of them quite complex (I shudder to think of the Jump skill). In the spirit of the game, DMs should have felt free to house-rule the game to suit their tastes, as they did before. And yet, a noticeable percentage of people felt that they had to follow all of the rules and couldn't change them.

I was in that percentage. I tinkered early on and got burned. I decided that since someone else did the balancing (and by and large it held up), I would just rely on that work. In the end, it became a huge burden given the proliferation of crunch over time.

Hussar

Legend
Always, always, always, play the game that fits your group. Doesn't matter what the game is, play the one that works best.

And never be afraid to try other games.

Griego

First Post
Basic Fantasy (BFRPG) might be the thing. Or, as you say, close enough. ;)

It has ascending AC, an attack bonus according to class, and some other streamlining here and there. Otherwise though, it's very much Basic D&D. The people I tried it with (and I) found it to be surprisingly fun and rewarding. Going back to it, and/or trynig it with different people, is absolutely on the cards. :cool:

No overwhelming lists of spells [/powers] or magic items. No prestige classes [/equivalent thingies]. A small number of core classes. No skills. No feats. Sleek statblocks. Fast combat. One book.

I can see that in many cases it could be a welcome change, be it from 3e or 4e. Or maybe even from AD&D... but much less so, and it's far less likely besides.
Basic Fantasy would be perfect if it dropped non-human ability score and class restrictions (easily houseruled) and used a unified XP table (not as easily implemented, since it would increase spellcaster power significantly).

Droogie

Explorer
Just felt the need to chime in with a recommendation for the Dragon Age RPG by Green Ronin. Its fast-paced and rules-lite, but with more modern rules design like target numbers and an easy-as-pie skill system.

rogueattorney

Adventurer
Just felt the need to chime in with a recommendation for the Dragon Age RPG by Green Ronin. Its fast-paced and rules-lite, but with more modern rules design like target numbers and an easy-as-pie skill system.

I got the first Dragon Age box set recently. I've read through it and found it quite interesting. It's very D&D-like. No one with familiarity of any version of D&D is going to find anything particularly alien about the game. I've seen the beta of the second box-set and am interested to see where it goes from here.

The main thing that bugged me about it was the complete absence of non-combat oriented magic.

I would certainly run it or play it to see how much I like it.

I got the first Dragon Age box set recently. I've read through it and found it quite interesting. It's very D&D-like. No one with familiarity of any version of D&D is going to find anything particularly alien about the game. I've seen the beta of the second box-set and am interested to see where it goes from here.

The main thing that bugged me about it was the complete absence of non-combat oriented magic.

I would certainly run it or play it to see how much I like it.

We are playing a Dragon Age campaign now and I am really enjoying it. I wasn't suprised at the lack of non-combat magic because it is based on a computer game

nedjer

Adventurer

It's possible to overlook the vanilla dark setting and the 'no you can't just use the dice out the monopoly set', but magic without magic was too bizarre for me when I looked at it last. Not that it would be hard to bolt some on, just seemed the oddest thing to leave out and an incentive to concentrate play around combat encounters. Which is, I suppose, consistent with the computer game.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads