• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Player's Handbook Alpha *Spoilers*

jadrax

Adventurer
Yeah, being a subclass, I don't mind it. It's a game term, it's not like the PCs introduce themselves using it in game. "Hi, I'm Bob the eldritch knight. These are my friends, Suzie the assassin and Gary the battle master. Pleased to meet you."

It sounds much more impressive when you use the Thaumaturgy cantrip to beef up your introduction.

'I am Bob: *ELDRITCH KNIGHT!*. These are my companions. Suzie: *ASSASSIN!* and Gary: *BATTLE MASTER!*.'

Would it help to know that he primary negative claim being made about those two guys turned out to be false, with apologies for the accusation and everything, after some more facts came out? I don't want to derail the thread with this, but I can easily point you to that.

I'd certainly be glad to see that. It's always nice to discover that the world isn't as crappy a place as people claim. That said, it wouldn't be enough given how long one of them has been writing long essays about "Storygaming SWINE" in a manner that make the edition wars seem nice, polite, and reasonable.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I'd certainly be glad to see that. It's always nice to discover that the world isn't as crappy a place as people claim. That said, it wouldn't be enough given how long one of them has been writing long essays about "Storygaming SWINE" in a manner that make the edition wars seem nice, polite, and reasonable.

Sure you can start here. Also, Pundit's online personality certainly is gruff, but by storygame swine he does not mean all people who like storygames, just basically a handful of people who he felt tried to intentionally redefine RPGs to be sorygames, and who spoke very very badly about those who like traditional D&D.

gyor

Legend
It's just a familiar, with a few stronger familiars available (pseudodragon, pixie, imp, quasit).

Actually Familiars can take the shape of any other type of Familiar you have access too, so your pixie can turn into an imp or a fish for an hour if your a chainlock. It can deliver touch attack spells for you too and you can borrow its senses if your within a 100 feet of each other and you can commicate telepathically.

A ranger pets doesn't have magical powers like a familiar, but its better at combat, alot better, in fact without a special invocation only chainlocks can take, Familiars can't attack at all, aside from delivering your touch spells.

Interestingly Rangers Companions and Familiars both have hawks as a choice, but with different stats. Ranger hawks are beasts, natural creatures, while the hawk familiar is fey, celestial, or fiend. I like that Familiars can shape shift now, abit only for an hour after which you need a short rest, as it makes choosing, a none flying familiar less of a problem. Heck with a fish bowl you can even use a fish familiar thanks to the shape shift.

Aren't feats optional?
I like the way you say they made them.
A player's try to enforce the use of the feats over the DM, becouse he needs them to create is "build".
The master has two option:
1- say NO
2- say YES, but the player and his "build" will now be unable to do all those simple things (yes, like drawing 2 weapons or using the healing skill to use a healer's kit)

Ah, I mis-explained then. I'd be fine with that design! :)

Unfortunately it's actually that even if you say "NO", you still can't use the healer's kit to actually heal or anything like that. :(

Sure you can start here.

Not the worst accusation...

Also, Pundit's online personality certainly is gruff, but by storygame swine he does not mean all people who like storygames, just basically a handful of people who he felt tried to intentionally redefine RPGs to be sorygames, and who spoke very very badly about those who like traditional D&D.

Pundit's personality is that of someone who has spent ten years raging against people he doesn't understand in the slightest and can't be bothered to. To pick an obvious point, if he had the first clue what he was talking about he wouldn't confuse the Vampire: the Masquerade crowd with the Storygames one. The Forge was largely a reaction against Vampire: the Masquerade and the Storygames crowd is not the same one at all as the remnants of White Wolf.

And any redefinition that there was came from outside the Storygames community. It happened back in 2003 when My Life With Master was produced. And various people threw tantrums on RPG.net insisting that because there was a defined end point, My Life With Master could in no possible way be an RPG. The attempt at redefinition was that MLWM was not under any account an RPG (when IMO it quite blatantly is). At which point the story-games crowd shrugged and said they'd call it a story-game because they were more interested in making fun games than in fighting definitional battles about what an RPG actually was.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads