D&D 5E Players Self-Assigning Rolls

5ekyu

Hero
Those weren’t “narrative flourishes,” they were essential components to evaluating the action and resolving its outcome. Without a description of exactly how the character is “searching for secret doors,” the only answer I can give is, “not enough information,” so I filled in the missing information with a couple of examples to try and give you a more satisfying answer. I think there is a fundamental disconnect in the way you and I approach the game if you can substitute specific details about the character’s approach and what they learn from it with “narrative, narrative”. For my DMing style, narrative is as important to the core resolution mechanic as the results of dice rolls, if not more so.

Almost like the character exists in an internally consistent world and have to interact with it as such. Imagine that.

No, because that action has an uncertain outcome and therefore must be resolved with dice. For the action you described, the goal is “I want to kill the orc,” and the approach is “by swinging my axe at him.” This approach has a reasonable chance of achieving the desired outcome (you could hit him in the face and kill him) a reasonable chance of failing to achieve the desired outcome (you could miss or fail to land a hit with enough impact to kill), and consequences for failure (the orc is still alive and probably none too happy about your axe having been swung at him). So, I rely on the standard means of resolving this uncertain outcome, which in 5th edition means an attack roll to see if the attack hits and a damage roll to see if it does enough damage to kill. Whether or not you succeeded in achieving your goal, and how well you did should be plainly obvious, so there’s no reason to conceal the results of the dice rolls. And in fact, I would be hard pressed to come up with a situation where the outcome was uncertain and the results wouldn’t be obvious enough for it to be appropriate for the players to see the roll results.

You mean as to whether the lack of seam in the mortar indicates the lack of a secret door? Yes. What they know is that no seam can be found. They must form their own conclusions based on that information.

Ok, but this is a world made by me, a person who is invested in the players’ enjoyment. I don’t really care what’s historically accurate, I care what gives the players the opportunity to interact in meaningful ways with the world I’ve created, which means giving them the appropriate cues to form meaningful conclusions and make meaningful decisions. If there is a secret door, I’m going to give them some kind of information to tip them off about it, even if it’s not true to how they “realistically” would have been constructed or whatever. Heck, if there’s a secret door, I’m going to frame the scene in a way that tips the players off that there’s something to be found here before anyone even starts looking.

“I’m no expert of masonry either, we’re just playing make-believe here. Try something and if there’s something to be found I’ll do my best to make sure you have enough information to draw your own conclusions. Worst comes to worst, if you’re not sure how to interpret the information available to you, I’ll give you a likely interpretation with a successful Intelligence Investigation check.” That is, by the way, why I run the Perception/Investigation split the way I do. Passive Perception will let you notice there’s something to be found (as you walk into the room, you feel an odd draft.) Active Perception will let you find hidden sensory information you might have missed with the passive check (It seems to be coming from a spot on the wall where the natural stone appears slightly recessed.) Investigation to interpret that information. (The draft is most likely coming from a seam in a hidden door.”

look, i get it you use narrative and like a lot of it for your interaction. fine. i get that. What i meant by narrative flourish was that for this post we really don't benefit from a full paragraph of wording every time we need to discuss resolution.

But here is the disconnect i see from the outlined approaches listed above...

for fighting, because the outcome is uncertain, the narrative requirement is (it seems) lowered based on the difference in your example quotes" and the results given are actual outcomes, not data that they then have to interpret on their own maybe requiring another INT check to figure out "did i actually score HP?".

for checking for secret doors in a room without them (where the true outcome was never in doubt, , the narrative requirement is higher (at least in that it may lead to not a good way to find traps) and the results are given in data they then have to interpret, possibly requiring a second roll to get to even an assessment of confidence.

I can imagine a whole lot of cases in a standard DnD game where, as a player, i cannot give reasonable answers to "how are you..." or then interpret the results to reach a separate conclusion. I am no blacksmith, no herbalist, no healer, no medic, etc etc etc.

i am certainly no weaver of arcane energies either BTW.

If my doctor IRL handed me a page of my test results and said "you interpret them yourself", i would seek a different doctor. If my inspector showed me his report and told me to figure it out, i would not pay them.

If my GM made it so that if *i* did not have the expertise *my character* would be worse off at certain roles... you get the picture.

But also...

"I’m no expert of masonry either, we’re just playing make-believe here. Try something and if there’s something to be found I’ll do my best to make sure you have enough information to draw your own conclusions. "

"Those weren’t “narrative flourishes,” they were essential components to evaluating the action and resolving its outcome."

those two statements of method and assessment seem to be at odds.

One emphasizes the specific of how the player describes the attempt being done as essential evaluating the action and its outcome. the other is saying "just try something" and the result will work out we hope.

Do you not think there is a bit of difference in those two levels of importance?

Do you not see the issue some may have with having to interpret results in a "certain outcome" case but being given better info on results in a "chance of failure" case?

Last edited:

5ekyu

Hero
If the players at my table would like to roll more checks, all they need do is to choose to perform tasks with an uncertain outcome more often. They could try to be less effective in pursuing automatic success by not making good use of their resources and paying less attention to the environment. That's up to them, not me. I'm not allowing or disallowing their choices. But ultimately I still make the call on when there's a roll because that's the DM's role in D&D 5e.

I get you want to keep this sort of circular reasoning going - that once it is decided for a game that rolls should be called for only when when uncertainty blah blah... but as stated and as being raised... while that is an option - presented for instance in the "middle ground" in the DMG iirc, that is not the only way 5e can be played or even represented in the DMG.

As i said, the idea that i took from the other poster was not "in iseriths game..." but more a case about the issue of that overall "role of dice" decision for a game being made by the group or as a group or with the groups preferences in mind.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I get you want to keep this sort of circular reasoning going - that once it is decided for a game that rolls should be called for only when when uncertainty blah blah...

I don't understand what you mean here or why you chose words that could reasonably be seen as pejorative. Would you clarify?

but as stated and as being raised... while that is an option - presented for instance in the "middle ground" in the DMG iirc, that is not the only way 5e can be played or even represented in the DMG.

Sure. I don't believe I've made any claims to the contrary. Of the ones that are discussed in the DMG, it's notable that the Middle Path is the one without any potential drawbacks according to the writer. I agree with that with the exception of players that primarily derive enjoyment from asking to roll or making rolls unprompted by the DM. I've never encountered such a person at a table, but they must be out there.

As i said, the idea that i took from the other poster was not "in iseriths game..." but more a case about the issue of that overall "role of dice" decision for a game being made by the group or as a group or with the groups preferences in mind.

You'll have to take that up with the other poster.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Some people, myself included, believe this to be true. We're no more right or wrong than you are, we just play differently, which was really all I was pointing out.
Sure, and that’s fine. If you play D&D because you like to roll dice, you might not have fun in my games. I actively try to keep dice rolls to a minimum. If you don’t find that fun, I have no hard feelings about you preferring not to play in my game, we have different play style preferences and that’s fine.

There's a point I expressed above that I believe you are missing. Which is, I still want players to wait for me to say "Okay, make your roll." but that they may not always be rolling against anything other than their imagination. I find that it adds to the game to allow people to look for things that may not actually be that, representing how their character is currently handling the situation. Some characters (and players) can develop quite the sense of paranoia of threats lurking around the corner. I indulge that because I find it produces good roleplay.
Gotcha. Sorry, I got my streams crossed, I was focused on the debate about player-initiated rolls and forgot this was a tangent about handling hidden information.

Now now, I didn't say any of that. It's a cooperative game, regardless of if there's one God Emperor DM or not. The DM can't run a game if the players don't want to play, and as such the game is a give-and-take by necessity. If we set things up so that it isn't, so that the players can only participate when the DM decides they can, then it isn't a give-and-take and then yes I question if we're actually playing the game or not.
But the unspoken implication here is that participation necessarily involves rolling dice. Yes, if you set things up so that players can only participate when the DM says they can, that game isn’t likely to last long as the players won’t be having much fun and will leave. But I don’t think anyone here has such a setup. My players only can make checks when I say they need to, but that doesn’t mean they can’t participate. Participation involves more than just rolling dice. Now, if a player feels that they are not able to participate in the way they want to - maybe they just really like rolling dice and my game doesn’t have enough of that, of course there’s some give and take. If they come to me with that feedback, I will take it into account and try to include more opportunities for them to put their Skills to use. But I’m still going to be the one to call for rolls. If that is not acceptable for that player, I am totally willing to accept that our play styles are not compatible. There are plenty of players out there who share my taste in play style, and plenty of DMs who share theirs.

I don't know anything about those accusations and I wasn't leveling them at you or anyone else with that line, I was simply pointing out that there's a certainty and reliability that comes with dice. And that some players really like that, and that I understand that, which leads to how I DM.
Yeah, again, I crossed the streams. My bad there, I apologize for the mix up.

Charlaquin

look, i get it you use narrative and like a lot of it for your interaction. fine. i get that. What i meant by narrative flourish was that for this post we really don't benefit from a full paragraph of wording every time we need to discuss resolution.
I could write shorter examples, I guess, but my methods cannot be devorced from specific example cases because the specifics are part of the method I use. “The player checks for secret doors and fills in the narrative” is not enough information for me to make a call as to the results. That’s only a goal, I need both a goal and an approach. “The player checks for secret doors by feeling the walls” is sufficient. “The player checks for secret doors by looking for a seam” is sufficient. “The player looks for secret doors by feeling for a draft” is sufficient. “The player looks for secret doors, narrative, narrative” isn’t. A big part of the reason I prefer this way of doing this is specifically because I don’t like actions to be naked goals divorced of methods.

But here is the disconnect i see from the outlined approaches listed above...

for fighting, because the outcome is uncertain, the narrative requirement is (it seems) lowered based on the difference in your example quotes" and the results given are actual outcomes, not data that they then have to interpret on their own maybe requiring another INT check to figure out "did i actually score HP?".

for checking for secret doors in a room without them (where the true outcome was never in doubt, , the narrative requirement is higher (at least in that it may lead to not a good way to find traps) and the results are given in data they then have to interpret, possibly requiring a second roll to get to even an assessment of confidence.
If your axe hit him, you know you scored damage. If the force of the impact was high, you know you rolled a lot of damage. If your knife sunk into a seam, you know you found a secret door. If your knife didn’t hit a seam you know you didn’t find a secret door. The reason the “narrative requirement” as you put it is higher is not the uncertainty of the outcome, it’s the nature of the method. The method of hitting an orc with an axe to try and kill it, by nature, gives very immediate and detailed feedback about how successful the method was. The method of feeling for seams with a knife, by its nature, gives only partial feedback about the existence of a secret door. This is all true whether or not dice are involved in either action. That’s exactly why a lot of DMs who allow contextless “search for secret doors” checks make the roll behind the DM screen - because not finding a secret door doesn’t necessarily mean you know there isn’t a secret door to be found, and you don’t always know how successful your unspecified methods were in achieving your goal.

I can imagine a whole lot of cases in a standard DnD game where, as a player, i cannot give reasonable answers to "how are you..." or then interpret the results to reach a separate conclusion. I am no blacksmith, no herbalist, no healer, no medic, etc etc etc.
You don’t need to be any of those things to pose an action in terms of your goal and your method. “I try to repair the cracked armor by working it at my forge.” “I try to slow the poison by applying an herbal poltice.” “I try to stem the bleeding by applying sutures and bandages.” Whatever. It doesn’t really matter if you know every little detail or not, just give your goal and method in broad strokes.

i am certainly no weaver of arcane energies either BTW.
Good thing the spells are already written for you then?

If my doctor IRL handed me a page of my test results and said "you interpret them yourself", i would seek a different doctor. If my inspector showed me his report and told me to figure it out, i would not pay them.
The things you describe are those people’s jobs. The DM’s job is not to tell you if the fact that you didn’t find a secret door means there is no secret door to be found.

If my GM made it so that if *i* did not have the expertise *my character* would be worse off at certain roles... you get the picture.
Good thing I don’t do that.

But also...

"I’m no expert of masonry either, we’re just playing make-believe here. Try something and if there’s something to be found I’ll do my best to make sure you have enough information to draw your own conclusions. "

"Those weren’t “narrative flourishes,” they were essential components to evaluating the action and resolving its outcome."

those two statements of method and assessment seem to be at odds.
They’re not. I do need to know your specific approach in order to evaluate your chances to success. I am also invested in insuring that you have all the information you need to make meaningful decisions and have meaningful interactions with the world. I will take into account the fact that you’re not an expert in masonry and make sure my secret doors are detectable by common-sense methods. I will give you that Investigation check safety net in case what I think of as common sense doesn’t occur to you. I will look for opportunities to reward your attempts, whether or not they are perfectly accurate reflections of how such a thing would be done in reality (hell, I wouldn’t even know if it was). But if you don’t give me both a goal and a method of trying to achieve it, then I don’t have enough information to adjudicate how the world responds to your action. Just try something. I promise, my goal is not to thwart you, it’s to give your choices narrative impact.

Last edited:

the_redbeard

Explorer
At this point, I'd wonder why the players that self declare their rolls even WANT a dungeon master. With no role for the DM other than playing the opposition, they would be better off with a board game or a computer game. It would seem to fit their style: they pick their actions from a prescribed list that's in the rules and they follow the rules to adjudicate those actions with no need to interpret the actions to be particular to the environment. They seem to think that the rules contain everything they need.

There's no need for the DM in that scenario. All they need is a combat miniature board game with a scenario booklet. Have fun playing 40k folks, you'll enjoy it better.

Charlaquin

At this point, I'd wonder why the players that self declare their rolls even WANT a dungeon master. With no role for the DM other than playing the opposition, they would be better off with a board game or a computer game. It would seem to fit their style: they pick their actions from a prescribed list that's in the rules and they follow the rules to adjudicate those actions with no need to interpret the actions to be particular to the environment. They seem to think that the rules contain everything they need.

There's no need for the DM in that scenario. All they need is a combat miniature board game with a scenario booklet. Have fun playing 40k folks, you'll enjoy it better.
Even as someone who’s a staunch supporter of “The DM always calls for the rolls” play style, this argument really rubs me the wrong way. As a 4e fan, I got told the same thing about “why are you playing D&D, clearly what you really want to be playing is WoW” too many times during the edition war to ever feel comfortable telling someone else to go play another game. People play D&D for all sorts of reasons, and we shouldn’t presume to know what other people want better than they do. I’d much rather argue for why I think my style is fun than talk down about other people’s preferred styles.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Ok so this is an explicit statement about 5e rules, so can you show me that rule in the RAW, please?

I see the rules which say "if there is no chance of failure, a roll is not needed" etc... but i am kind of missing in the 5e ruleset the rule which says "if a roll is made, a chance of failure is applied."

As you can see from PHB page 175, you only roll dice if the outcome is uncertain.

The DM calls for an ability check when a character or monster attempts an action (other than an attack) that has a chance of failure. When the outcome is uncertain, the dice determine the results.

It's when the outcome is uncertain that the dice determine the results.

5ekyu

Hero

Odd that it seems YOU view the EDIT [ removal replaced for clarity] SHARING of GM ALLOWS ROLLS as apparently all the GM does so that removing even sharing that element of control equates to a GM less gaming experience.

EDIT: i replaced removal with SHARING because while the GM CALLS FOR ROLLS seems to be very much about GM ONLY CALLS ROLLS side of things, i don't think anybody on the PLAYERS CAN CALL ROLLS has suggested removing the Gm entirely from that process. One side is asking for sharing the the call while one side seems to want it to be exclusive one sided.

Sent from my VS995 using EN World mobile app

Last edited:

Remove ads