• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Playing the crazed wizard of the party

B9anders

Explorer
Warlord Ralts said:
"I CLAIM THIS LAND IN THE NAME OF SADUUL CORTEZ AND THE HEROES OF DEAD LAMB PASS!" my character screams, then begins dancing a jig and shooting magic missiles off into the jungle, busting a few coconuts, killing a monkey, and blowing a parrot into a puff of feathers.

Everyone is still staring at me. There's dead silence for about 5 minutes, the whole time I'm just laughing, the GM is laughing.

The rest of the group is just staring.

After the game, everyone is still kinda shocked that they just witnessed something out of a book. A mad wizard killing over a 1,000 people. They're starting to come to grips with the fact that the whole game has changed.

Just then, wading out of the surf, comes a member of the ship's guard (You guessed it) who shouts: "SADUUL CORTEZ! I CHALLENGE YOU!"

"CHALLENGE DENIED!" Screams Cortez, and fireballs the guy from 1500 feet away.

ROFLMAO!

happyelf

First Post
So it's a new player in the group, he is allowed to play a paladin, but he has to start at 8th level? Wow that's pretty impressive, taking down an 8th level newbie with the GM in your corner.

Erithtotl

First Post
happyelf said:
So it's a new player in the group, he is allowed to play a paladin, but he has to start at 8th level? Wow that's pretty impressive, taking down an 8th level newbie with the GM in your corner.

That was my impression too. I wouldn't even join a gaming group at 4 levels behind the average party level, sorry.

I echo what a few others have said. It's great if you and your group are having fun. Sounds like the new guy didn't. I know I definitely wouldn't. Probably takes a certain kind of personality to join the group and it'd probably be in your best interest if the DM made sure to screen prospective players first.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Erithtotl said:
That was my impression too. I wouldn't even join a gaming group at 4 levels behind the average party level, sorry.

I echo what a few others have said. It's great if you and your group are having fun. Sounds like the new guy didn't. I know I definitely wouldn't. Probably takes a certain kind of personality to join the group and it'd probably be in your best interest if the DM made sure to screen prospective players first.

Ditto.

Have fun playing evil insane. Personally, I've never found the challenge behind having not much of a code and standards to attain to.

But, ultiamtely D&D is about players having fun. If the new guy comes back and has fun, more power to you. If some guy expecting a reasonably normal game comes into your party and is turned off of D&D forever because of a bad screening process ... that's a shame.

Anyway, have fun with insane evil. :heh:

Ralts Bloodthorne

First Post
happyelf said:

Wow, coming in and targeting the wizard for no good reason.

What a feat of glory and heroics.

As for coming in THREE levels lower than the lowest person, he was warned about that in the beginning, before he ever even showed up.

Gotta love it, I'm so horrible and mean. I was so mean to him, I should have let him kill my wizard, because, well, it's not nice to kill the new guy when he tries to kill you for no good reason! I'm 3 levels higher, and each time HE instigated, but you all make him out to be the victim? How very interesting. He asked about levels before the game, found out I was the lowest, and came gunning for me. And now it's my fault. How cute.

Funny thing, last night, before we even played, I warned him: "Stay off my wizard, there's no reason for your new PC to try to jump me. You try it, you'll be burying another character, man." He told me he thought I was going to carry a grudge and kill his characters because his Paladin attacked me. Nope, that ain't how I roll, brother. We explained to him that we won't stop any inter-party conflict, but we don't start it either. He agreed to stay off my character, I reassured him that I wouldn't leap out of the trees on fire, screaming for his blood.

At the end of the night, his 8th level monk is still alive, he had a good time, my wizard is making him a set of flame-strike cestus as time permits, and all it took was for him not coming in, figuring he'd try capping the wizard.

I'm sure hearing about the weekends exploits will just be another "See how horrible it was that he lorded his power over the poor new guy." show for some of you, so I'll refrain from regaling you with tales of the fireproof monk grappled with the minotaur shaman and screamed out "NOW, SADUUL, SEE IF COWMEN BURN!"

They do.

Ralts Bloodthorne

First Post
Erithtotl said:
I wouldn't even join a gaming group at 4 levels behind the average party level, sorry.
Three levels below the lowest.

What, he should be equal with the party average?

Same rule for new characters across the board. New characters == 3 levels below lowest. That counts for me, or anyone else.

I echo what a few others have said. It's great if you and your group are having fun. Sounds like the new guy didn't.
And whose fault is that? Mine?

I know I definitely wouldn't.
Would you have attacked the same person, THREE TIMES, for no apparent reason?

Probably takes a certain kind of personality to join the group and it'd probably be in your best interest if the DM made sure to screen prospective players first.
He did, which is why it was a suprise. He'd been playing, in his own words, "since 3E came out" and was told that the party was neutral with an evil bent, that he'd start 3 levels lower, and that the GM would handle the magic items.

Personally, I've never found the challenge behind having not much of a code and standards to attain to.
After playing the party's Paladin for the last 2 years in a different campaign, I found this MUCH more relaxing.

But, ultiamtely D&D is about players having fun. If the new guy comes back and has fun, more power to you. If some guy expecting a reasonably normal game comes into your party and is turned off of D&D forever because of a bad screening process ... that's a shame.
Well, if he's a 6 year player of D&D, and he comes into the group, and without reason, goes gunning for the lowest level party member...

What does that say about the way he put himself across?

Elf Witch

First Post
Warlord Ralts said:
Three levels below the lowest.

What, he should be equal with the party average?

Same rule for new characters across the board. New characters == 3 levels below lowest. That counts for me, or anyone else.

And whose fault is that? Mine?

Would you have attacked the same person, THREE TIMES, for no apparent reason?

He did, which is why it was a suprise. He'd been playing, in his own words, "since 3E came out" and was told that the party was neutral with an evil bent, that he'd start 3 levels lower, and that the GM would handle the magic items.

After playing the party's Paladin for the last 2 years in a different campaign, I found this MUCH more relaxing.

Well, if he's a 6 year player of D&D, and he comes into the group, and without reason, goes gunning for the lowest level party member...

What does that say about the way he put himself across?

I have to say that as a paladin he really had no choice but to try and bring your murdering wizard to justice. As for your DM telling him he didn't know that your character was evil because he didn't cast detect evil pleeasse he just witnessed your character murder 1000 people for no reason.

Now I think your DM was very much in the wrong to have allowed this guy to bring in a paladin as DM he had the power to say no no no, no paladins no good character at all because it won't fit. It is no different than a DM saying no evil character allowed.

It does sound to me that new player was not a good fit for your campaign.

Einan

First Post
Who cares what the new player's problem was? That was hilarious! As long as the other players don't seem to care and the DM doesn't seem to care, it flies.

Einan

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads