D&D (2024) Playtest 8 Monk Discussion

mellored

Legend
while you declare which color is which you are already behind rolling and I'm not sure if you saved some time.
Colors are only declared once per game.

If the monk declared red, green, blue. Then he can just toss all 3 at the same time each turn.

Of course you can still roll one at a time if your next choice will dependon the results. I.e. the goblin is low heath.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Ok couldn't help myself. So I decided to sim the monk all the way, including ki use and everything, to see how effective it truly is against the dragon 1v1. No subclasses, straight up.

NOTE: Technically in a 1v1, the dragon doesn't get all its legendary actions. But I think that's been changed in a lot of recent monsters so I'm assuming that.

I simmed with the monk going 3 different styles. Again no mercy monk this time, no real subclass features included.

Always: Superior Defense put on round 1 and whenever it runs out (assuming there ki left)

Sim 1: Patient Defense as a ki using bonus action. So 2 attacks per round + dodge + temp HP. Result: Dragon has 246 HP left.
Sim 2: Dodge as an action + flurry using Ki. So 3 attacks per round + dodge + no temp HP. Result: Dragon has 296 HP left.
Sim 3: Attack as an action + flurry using Ki. So 5 attacks per round. Result: Dragon has 320 HP left.

So it appears that "patience" is the best play for the monk against such an offense heavy opponent. But yeah the monk isn't going to beat a dragon 1v1.

Okay, this feels a lot more like what I was expecting out of the new Monk.

Clint_L

Hero
Edit: Also, any DM who runs a high level dragon that isn't exploiting things like flight and lair actions deserves to have their monster stomped.
Flight is great if the dragon just wants to escape, which it really should be doing against this monk, but is very difficult for it to use offensively because the monk is faster than it and its breath weapon is useless. And its lair actions either involve dexterity saving throws (good luck with that) or apply the poisoned condition, which the monk shrugs off for free. Same with the frightened condition.

Vikingkingq

Adventurer
Prompted by a thread over on reddit: what do people think of adding the Sap feature to the free version of Patient Defense, to give it a bit of a boost compared to Dodge/Bonus Action Unarmed Strike or Flurry? I think it might hit the sweet spot of being a decent benefit but not being too strong for the resourceless version.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Prompted by a thread over on reddit: what do people think of adding the Sap feature to the free version of Patient Defense, to give it a bit of a boost compared to Dodge/Bonus Action Unarmed Strike or Flurry? I think it might hit the sweet spot of being a decent benefit but not being too strong for the resourceless version.

So, instead of disengage for free, it would be disadvantage against one attack for free?

I'm not a fan.

Starfox

Hero
I think high level monks might be too tanky.
As in earlier editions, this will depend a lot on the availability of magic items. With no magic items for anyone, the monk is likely too tanky. With lots of magic items, the warriors' AC will skyrocket and items can also make up for the monk's mobility.

Asisreo

Patron Badass
Having Playtested the 4-element monk with the UA versions of the base and subclass, I can say that while its better than it was before, I wish Elementalism had increased utility at higher levels. If that would be a problem for the druid to have, you can make it its own feature again.

And I think its pretty obvious that they should reduce the Ki required for their level 6 feature. Honestly, its only situational even if it was free, but making it one ki point is at least a better compromise.

Vikingkingq

Adventurer
Having Playtested the 4-element monk with the UA versions of the base and subclass, I can say that while its better than it was before, I wish Elementalism had increased utility at higher levels. If that would be a problem for the druid to have, you can make it its own feature again.

And I think its pretty obvious that they should reduce the Ki required for their level 6 feature. Honestly, its only situational even if it was free, but making it one ki point is at least a better compromise.
The cantrip I think we'll have to wait for the Prestidigitation/Thaumaturgy heads to work out its potential uses.

I think Elemental Burst is more than situational - you can catch a hell of a lot of enemies in a 20-foot sphere, and it's guaranteed damage plus an Unarmed Attack. With the 4E's grouping abilities, I think you can definitely get some decent damage out of it.

Remove ads