D&D 5E Playtested dat 5e at Gencon.

Warbringer

Explorer
Different things. Low HD creatures in 1e/2e had low hp because they were that type of creature. 4e minions had 1 hp to facilitate a *story*. They were less simulationist constructs and more storytelling devices.

And in a game like feng shui they were awesome. It wasn't until 4e that a mechanical devics was needed to create the one-shot kill, D&D never had that issue, and to be honest only really has at at low levels.

I understand the mechanic and its roll in creating dramatic scenes, in D&D historically it as been doe with lower level creatures where average dpa outstrips average hp.

Stalker0

Legend
I liked 4e minions myself but i do understand people's frustration with them. They solved a problem that many felt shouldn't be there in the first place, that monsters should not take 3-4 rounds to kill.

I think 4e had the right idea that elite and solo type monsters should be exceptionally tough, but i think the baseline monster may have been too tough overall, which led to the concept of grind

Rhenny

Adventurer
Nice report.

I don't mind the cantrips that let mages feel magical all the time, but I do not like the lack of variety of attacks and utility. Most mages get only 3 cantrips to start (1 extra for High Elves). That really doesn't give too many options. There will be mages that can't even read magic...and a ton of mages who will spam ray of frost to save spell slots.

When a mage gains a feat, he/she can choose Arcane Initiate and get 2 more cantrips, but other than that, they are limited.

I'd love to see some more non-damaging cantrips that could be more interesting situational effects, or more low damage cantrips that have the chance to do other special things or deal other types of damage.

dd.stevenson

Super KY
Awesome report. Don't I remember you from the Paizo forums?

I really hear you on the cantrip thing. I feel like the risk of running out of magic resources is part of the iconic wizard feel, and we're losing something by stripping it out of the game.

Warbringer

Explorer
I'm also looking forward to the D&D Next approach to mooks.

I believe the approach is going to be that damage by level scales very quickly and as bounded accuracy keeps all monsters a "threat" to hit, they can still be used as low level mooks, so no need for a special rule.

In short, just like 1e/2e

keterys

First Post
I think 4e had the right idea that elite and solo type monsters should be exceptionally tough, but i think the baseline monster may have been too tough overall, which led to the concept of grind
I've been having solos get 1-rounded and encounters need like 5 elites to last more than 2 rounds, lately. Granted, that's at pretty high level, but I think the early grind problems convinced people to overdo damage.

I wouldn't mind if they do some pretty good math on pacing and comparing damage and hp by levels and scale for Next. Be a nice change of pace, really.

keterys

First Post
I believe the approach is going to be that damage by level scales very quickly and as bounded accuracy keeps all monsters a "threat" to hit, they can still be used as low level mooks, so no need for a special rule.

In short, just like 1e/2e
Well, except for in 1e/2e things like orcs and goblins needed a 20 to hit you pretty darn fast, and saves went the same direction towards only failing on 1s.

Most exemplified by adventures like Dragon Mountain where you'd face a horde of kobolds with instant death poison, under the theory that it had maybe 1 in 200 of actually affecting someone, since it needed to hit, and you needed to fail the save.

Warbringer

Explorer
Well, except for in 1e/2e things like orcs and goblins needed a 20 to hit you pretty darn fast, and saves went the same direction towards only failing on 1s.

True, but as a 10th-13th level module scale eventually has to break and the fighter class 1 attack per experience level against <1HD creatures was fun. I can't remember what the outnumbering/flanking bonus looked like

Remove ads