Please Critique: Extreme Heat Endurance & Scorching Spell

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Extreme Heat Endurance [General]
You are capable of surviving the worst dangers of the desert.
Prerequisites: Base Fortitude Save +9, Improved Heat Endurance.
Benefit: Your fire resistance increases by +5. You can exist comfortably in temperatures up to 180o F without having to make Fortitude saves. Your protection against heat is Level 4.

Scorching Spell [Metamagic]
Your fire magic is further bolstered, and burns your enemies to a crisp.
Prerequisite: Fiery Spell
Benefit: A scorching spell deals an extra 3 points of fire damage for each die of damage the spell deals. This feat can only be applied to spells with the fire descriptor. For example, if a 9th level wizard with this feat casts a scorching fireball, the fireball deals 9d6+27 points of damage. A scorching spell uses up a spell slot two levels higher than the spell's actual level.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Where is Fiery Spell from? What does it do?

You mean to say "scorching" instead of "fiery" in the feat description, I think. And shouldn't that be 9d6 + 27 points of damage?

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Fiery Spell is from Sandstorm. It adds an extra 1 point of fire damage for each die of damage the spell does. A fiery spell uses up a spell slot one level higher.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
I like it. It is a little stronger than empower, but limited to just fire spells, and with a pre-requisite.

There's still a "fiery" in the feat description. And a "searing spell". And a missing apostrophe in "spells". :)

Is there a sandstorm feat that allows you to punch through fire resistance/immunity? I hope so, or this wizard will have a wasted feat chain.

After scorching, would the next feat add a total of +6 per die? (for +3 levels) Then +10? (for +4 levels) etc.?

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Searing Spell (from Sandstorm) makes your spell so hot that it ignores fire resitance in creatures and creatures with immunity take half damage while creatures with the cold subtype are dealt double damage. Searing Spells take up a spell slot one level higher.

Goolpsy

First Post
That searing spell seems imbalanced. most cold subtype already recieves double damage from fire, and fire immune creatures SIMPLY DOESN'T TAKE DAMAGE FROM FIRE

Try to burn a fire elemental.? Or a lave monster.. its like Trowing Ham at a hungry Man..

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
I don't have Sandstorm, so I don't know if this is true or not, but I would hope that searing spell would not bypass the immunity of creatures with the [fire] subtype. Also, if I am not mistaken, cold creatures take +50% damage, not double damage.

Aside from the bit about [fire] creatures, the feat seems fine.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Searing spells are so hot that it ignores the resistance to fire of affected by the spell and affected creatures with immunity to fire still take half damage. The feat can be applied only to spells with the fire descriptor. Creatures that have the cold subtype take double damage from a searing spell. Creatures affected by a searing spell are entitled to whatever saving throw the spell normally allows. A spell prepared with this metamagic feat takes up a spell slot one level higher than the spell's actual level.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Well, we are made out of matter, and under some circumstances matter can hurt us. A fire elemental is made out of fire, so under some circumstances fire can hurt it. I guess I can see the rationale for a searing fireball hurting even a fire elemental.

Besides, I vaguely remember some old encounter on the elemental plane of fire. It is in Kossuth's throne room, where the fire is so hot that even fire elementals take damage; unless Kossuth extends his protection, of course.

But this is a trifle off topic; we aren't discussing searing spell, we are discussing scorching spell.

Remove ads