D&D 5E Please un-NERF Magic Items in 5e

StAlda

Explorer
Remember when finding a Girdle of Frost Giant Strength brought a tear to your eye from the exictement? Now I get a +2 to Athletics and once a day I get to be a badass? Well at least I can sell it for some cash....

Wand of Wonder (gone until recently) is a shadow of itself. Every low level magic-user was given a WoW in our games. Just for the shear entertainment (and also to make them a little useful after they were out of spells).

Ring of Protection...you know, just don't even talk to me.....

Infiniti2000

First Post
And remember when you got caught without your items and it was so totally lame we couldn't hear your crying over the bad guys' laughter? A DM still has the ability to create any items he wants, but in general I think that the Nerfing of magical items was one of the best changes made ot the game.

StAlda

Explorer
And remember when you got caught without your items and it was so totally lame we couldn't hear your crying over the bad guys' laughter? A DM still has the ability to create any items he wants, but in general I think that the Nerfing of magical items was one of the best changes made ot the game.

I didn't say make the characters useless without them or dependent on them. I smell troll.

Number48

First Post
I don't want characters to utterly depend on magic items, but I want magic items to be very, well, magical. They should do fantastic things, even if those things don't seem like much rules-wise. I once had a group acquire a wand in a deal of trading magic items with an NPC that became a favorite of theirs. Simply put, whatever the wand touched turned black. There were some limits on size and the color would wear off after some time depending on the item but you could count on steel or stone lasting a day or two and cloak would last months. Mechanically, it was a 3E rod that cast Prestidigitation, a zero-level spell, and even then had a severe limitation in how it cast Prestidigitation. (For those who don't recall, in 3E a rod can cast a spell over and over with no charges, like an infinite wand). It was definitely seen as a better item than the +2 sword because you could do things with the blackwand. The sword was just, well, a sword.

Aenghus

Explorer
Remember when having certain magic items was more important than anything else on your character sheet. One belt of giant strength in a party of fighters of average strength and the person who gets the belt totally outclasses the others in combat.

The combination of overpowered magic items and favouritism, intentional or not, is lethal to gaming groups.

Now, magic items can definitely be more powerful than they were at the start of 4e, but I don't want them to ever go back to what the highpoint was in 1e and 2e. Personally, I would prefer them to avoid granting numeric bonuses that modify the character sheet, but I doubt that'll happen.

Last edited:

Henry

Autoexreginated
I tend to have the same reaction. Admittedly, I hear that Mordenkainen's Magnificent Emporium did help rectify this and put some of the "wow" back into magic items, but Magic Items in older editions, ideally due to rarity, did have some game-bending (or game-breaking) effects and cause a lot of excitement around the table because of it.

The giant strength and ogre power items are good examples -- In storytelling and myth, the weakling or normal guy gets the strength boosting item and becomes a powerhouse -- in game terms, he just got his strength raise from 10 to 12 -- to recall a phrase, "meh." :) However, it was nigh-impossible to just MAKE one of those, it needed to be found, and chances are you'd find one or two per party, per campaign.

4E's item rarity system hearkens back to "only one or two per whole campaign", so assuming they keep the rarity idea, I think it's time to reintroduce items that give a flat score again as rare items:

Those gauntlets of Giant strength? STR 18, baby!
Girdle(Belt, pfft!) of Giant STR? 24, YAHOO!

Ring of Protection? The lesser one might give you that measly +1 or +2 to AC, but the GREATER Ring of Protection? +3 to AC, and turn a hit into a miss 1/day! (or a normal hit in case of a crit).

SensoryThought

First Post
I'm a big fan of iconic magic weapons and having a sword that does +1d6 damage to dragons once per day is uninspiring.

I've house ruled magic items more powerful in my 4e game but give out a lot less permanents than recommended (but still give out lots of consumables).

FireLance

Legend
I think the really powerful items ought to come with a level adjustment for the character. You could probably get by with (say) +1 armor being LA +0 and a +3 weapon being LA +1, but if you want greater granularity, even something like a +1 weapon could be LA +1/3.

So yes, if you're kitted out with a +3 weapon, +3 armor, a +3 amulet of protection, a girdle of giant strength and boots of speed, you will walk over equal level encounters - because you're punching at +5 above what your level actually is. If the DM wants to present you with a "standard" level of challenge, he should actually be looking at monsters 5 levels or so higher than you are.

Number48

First Post
Now, magic items can definitely be more powerful than they were at the start of 4e, but I don't want them to ever go back to what the highpoint was in 1e and 2e. Personally, I would prefer them to avoid granting numeric bonuses that modify the character sheet, but I doubt that'll happen.

Now, see, I DON'T want magic items to be powerful. I want them to be wonderful. I want them to need to be used in creative ways to get a real benefit from them. Another item the group got in the trade I mentioned above was a rat skull. Touch it to a rat and you can see through its eyes for up to 5 minutes. Is that more powerful or weaker than the blackwand? Who knows, who cares. I want items that are so interesting in their uses that it's really hard to quantify them. If you just assign a gp value to them, then look at the chart, a little bit of wonder dies.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I didn't say make the characters useless without them or dependent on them. I smell troll.
Nah, Infiniti's been around a while -- he just has a different idea on the old style of magic items, is all.

On the other hand, IMO the rarity system, if expanded on, could offer an answer between the DM who doesn't want such items at his table, and the one who does. Me, I had many good experiences with the genuine thrill that a game-bending magic item gave, as long as they were rare -- in the end, Over the past ten years I've had far more memorable stories to recall over a player using an awesome magic item than I have had with a character's particular power or special ability. My players have enjoyed retelling about the rogue with the magic dagger that transforms into a tattoo and back for concealed weaponry, or the one-shot item that gave someone the strength of a god for 1 minute, but was of no use to them ever again, or the Wand of Wonder cribbed from 1E that created an invisible marching band as a wall of force for 5 rounds, or the gem that was a phylactery for a powerful lich, BUT allowed the wizard to prepare 9 more levels of spells than normal? (Boy, there was a lot of in-party fighting on that one.)

And none of those belong in your game, if you want them -- and they'd be impossible for PCs to make, only find, with DM discretion.

Remove ads