Podcast #98: Exploration in Fantasy Roleplaying

This week, Morrus and Peter talk about Peter’s upcoming book about the underutilized third pillar of Dungeons & Dragons 5e: Exploration. In the news, a new head of Dungeons & Dragons, Gen Con events delayed, UK Games Expo Cancelled, Alien RPG Starter Set Pre-Orders, Comic Relief to play D&D, Temple of Elemental Evil Reincarnated, and more! Plus a brand new sketch about showing your love of D&D...

This week, Morrus and Peter talk about Peter’s upcoming book about the underutilized third pillar of Dungeons & Dragons 5e: Exploration. In the news, a new head of Dungeons & Dragons, Gen Con events delayed, UK Games Expo Cancelled, Alien RPG Starter Set Pre-Orders, Comic Relief to play D&D, Temple of Elemental Evil Reincarnated, and more! Plus a brand new sketch about showing your love of D&D via merchandising.

MUTRTLogoWide.jpg

Subscribe on iTunes | Google Play | YouTube | TuneIn | Stitcher | Blubrry | Podbean | Spotify | Android
News

Modiphius Gave Away John Carter of Mars RPG for Last Week of April (no longer available) Modiphius Giving Away John Carter of Mars

Temple of Elemental Evil Reincarnated 5E - Temple of Elemental Evil is the next Original Adventures Reincarnated

Echo Knight is Wildemount’s Most Popular Subclass Critical Role - Echo Knight is Wildemount's Most Popular Subclass

Wildemount: Dark Star Free Adventure from D&D Beyond Wildemount: Dark Star

UK Games Expo Canceled UK Games Expo 2020 Cancelled

PaizoCon Online 2020 Paizo - PaizoCon Online Coming In May

Gen Con Event Registration Delayed Gen Con Event Registration Delayed

Alien RPG Starter Set & Colonial Marines Adventure Pre-Order Alien RPG Pre-order Starter Set & Colonial Marines Adventure

Gale Force Nine Alien Board Game Aliens: Another Glorious Day in the Corps!

Comic Relief Plays D&D General - Comic Relief Plays D&D

Tiltify Page for Comic Relief Plays D&D Tiltify - Made for Fundraisers

Ray Winninger New Head of Dungeons & Dragons WotC - Ray Winninger Is Head of D&D RPG Team; Mike Mearls No Longer Works on RPG

Lyonesse RPG Based on the Works of Jack Vance Release - Lyonesse is Now Available!

Trailer for Mythological Figures & Maleficent Monsters 5E - Check Out This Trailer For Mythological Figures & Maleficent Monsters!

The Fumble: Shane Stack’s satirical column on tabletop RPGs The Fumble: Game Master Secretly Plotting Against Online Players Who Don't Use Their Mute Button

Epic Monsters: Karkaddan 5E - Epic Monsters: Karkaddan

Jonathan Tweet on Alignment in D&D General - Alignment in D&D

Game Design Masterclass: Going Diceless Game Design Masterclass: Going Diceless

Streaming Video for Tabletop Ranked Streaming Video for Tabletop Games, Ranked

-------------------

Kickstarters

Deadlands: The Weird West Deadlands: the Weird West

Brancalonia BRANCALONIA - THE SPAGHETTI FANTASY RPG

Iopos: Lair of Deceit Earthdawn 4th Edition - Iopos: Lair of Deceit

Sunken Dungeon: D&D + Coloring Sunken Dungeon. DnD+Coloring. (The Cloud Dungeon 2)

Dungeons Your Party Will Die For DUNGEONS YOUR PARTY WILL DIE FOR

The Sickest Witch Solo Story Mode Sickest Witch Solo Story Mode and Print+Play

Egg Embry’s RPG Crowdfunding News RPG Crowdfunding News – Deadlands, BRANCALONIA, Earthdawn, and more

-------------------

Hosts: Russ “Morrus” Morrissey and Peter Coffey

Editing and post-production: Darryl Mott

Kickstarter News Column used for the Kickstarter Game: Egg Embry

Theme Song: Steve Arnott

Kickstarter Game Theme: Lyrics by Russ Morrissey, Vocals by “drwilko”, Guitar by Darryl Mott

Malach the Maleficent played by Darren Morrissey

Please support the show on Patreon at Morrus’ Unofficial Tabletop RPG Talk is creating tabletop RPG podcasts | Patreon

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

Envisioner

Explorer
It would have been nice if you'd given any clear indication of what your product actually contains, instead of just loose generalizations about the kind of thing it talks about. I know you don't want to give your work away for free, but if your book contains 50 tables you could have read us 2 of them just to present a sample of the quality of the work.

Abstruse

Legend
It would have been nice if you'd given any clear indication of what your product actually contains, instead of just loose generalizations about the kind of thing it talks about. I know you don't want to give your work away for free, but if your book contains 50 tables you could have read us 2 of them just to present a sample of the quality of the work.
It's a work-in-progress. Aside from Peter's chapter-list outline and research notes, "loose generalizations" is all of the book that exists.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I thought you weren't going to be listening to us any more, because we wasted your time with RPG news in our RPG news podcast, and our sketches were cringey and annoying? ;)

Envisioner

Explorer
I thought you weren't going to be listening to us any more, because we wasted your time with RPG news in our RPG news podcast, and our sketches were cringey and annoying? ;)

Well those objections remain, but your clickbaity title managed to sucker me in one more time. Charlie Brown will stop believing Lucy about the football eventually, but his hope springs eternal, and I say that's a strength rather than a weakness, all evidence to the contrary notwithstanding.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Well those objections remain, but your clickbaity title managed to sucker me in one more time. Charlie Brown will stop believing Lucy about the football eventually, but his hope springs eternal, and I say that's a strength rather than a weakness, all evidence to the contrary notwithstanding.
I beg you to stop listening to our podcast. You’re only torturing yourself.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
Thoroughly enjoyed this ep! It seemed more packed with RPG news than usual, and I mean that in a good way. Peter's project sounds like something I would use, so please keep us posted on its progress.

You asked for 100th episode comments, and the site I found for the show, to leave a comment, wanted me to download the Podbean app before I could leave a comment, and I already have podcast apps I like, so I'll comment here:

MUTRN is probably my favorite RPG podcast - not just "rpg news podcast"! Each new episode gets downloaded and moved near the top of my "to listen to" podcasts episodes on any subject. I think it helps that you have discrete segments, so if I'm not particularly interested in a certain topic or guest, it's easy to skip forward.
Anyway, keep up the great work, and congratulations!

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads