D&D 5E Poisons in Next

am181d

Adventurer
If I were to feature a poison prominently in my game, it would have specific unique properties -- whether it's a poison that kills instantly or does damage slowly over time or disorients and sickens.

The idea that there'd be one rule to cover all poisons is overly ambitious and destined for disappointing results.

Dausuul

Legend
I'd do poison something like this, drawing on 4E's disease track:

Save DC: When exposed to the poison, make a Constitution save at this DC. If you fail, you suffer the poison's first effect; if you succeed, you are not poisoned.
Onset Time: The amount of time between saving throws. Each time the onset time passes, make another Constitution save. If you fail, the poison advances to the next level of effect. Two successful saves allows you to throw off the poison.
Effect:

• Hallucinogenic: Intoxicated --> Blinded --> Stunned
  • Paralytic: Intoxicated --> Paralyzed --> Unconscious
  • Narcotic: Intoxicated --> Charmed or Frightened (by all other creatures, 50% chance for each) --> Stunned
  • Lethal: Intoxicated --> Unconscious --> Dead

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
I'm fine with the extremely simplistic approach D&D Next's core rules currently takes for poison. But I am also fully expecting WotC to come up with much more interesting models for poisons as optional rules for everyone who wants poisons to be more complicated.

Wulfgar76

First Post
Is this a good place to suggest that D&D Next needs a 'weakened' condition to reflect being sick, poisoned, fatigued or similar state of physical malaise?

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
There is no such condition - not in the latest playtest's condition list that is.
DM Guidelines, page 11. It's a condition track that gets worse with forced marches, extreme weather, and lack of food/water. It gets better when you get full sleep and eat full food.

Wulfgar76

First Post
DM Guidelines, page 11. It's a condition track that gets worse with forced marches, extreme weather, and lack of food/water. It gets better when you get full sleep and eat full food.

Thanks.

I hope a weakened/sickened/exhausted state makes its way to the final condition list. I don't see another condition that really captures it currently.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
I completely agree. Poison should be something that doesn't usually kick in during the current battle! It should be something you struggle with after the fight is over. . . "Hit the enemy with a poisoned weapon, run away and let the poison do its work, then come back and mop up."

Some conflicting ideas here. I haven't personally known any cultures that poison their speartips to gain an advantage on their enemies, like they do in the video games. But if you're going to go through the trouble of poisoning your weapon to use during combat, it does you no good to have poisoned an enemy who killed you in that battle. So there shouldn't be a "fight" to begin with.

A poison for use during a fight will be fast-acting, and probably lethal or debilitating.

A poison for mopping up can be slower acting, and probably delivered via an arrow or a needle. Or food. Any way that allows you to make a clean getaway.

All things equal, wouldn't it be great if there were an RPG that let you design your own poison rules? Man. That would be great...

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Giant Centipedes were about 18" long and poisonous. They didn't move too quickly and their bite wasn't anything other than the poison as damage (okay, maybe 1 hp).

But the poison was Save or Die.

Victims received 2 saves. Once upon being bitten and again 1 round later. With a +4 to the roll as the poison was weak.

This isn't an unbalanced 1st level monster. It's a huge signpost that poisonous things should be fought in such a way that you are not in a position for them to bite you. Flip over the rotten furniture with a 10' pole. Run faster than them away from them. And lay on heavy with the ranged attacks. It isn't that hard.

Remove ads