• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [Poll for the front page] Nominate your ONE favourite thing about D&D 5E

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuindordm

Adventurer
So many things to like! But since it hasn't been said yet:

Quick level 1-3 with subclasses separate from character creation.

(It's hard for me to articulate exactly, but I love that a new player can pick a class at level 1 but wait a level or two to worry about nailing down a concept.)

Along these lines, I was going to say "multiple builds within classes". Some classes more so than others, of course, but there are a lot of decision points as you level up to make your class X feel different from someone else's class X.

Ben

I like how the narrative was scaled back. A level 1 character isn't even a full member of his or her class, and even a level 20 character can be threatened by a sufficient number of orcs. Godhood is no longer a default state for any character who survives long enough.

Staccat0

First Post
Probably the dullest answer, but for me it's the best innovation in the game:

Advantage/Disadvantage

Same here.

Advantage/Disadvantage is the first thing I do to explain how much less "complicated" it is to people who tried D&D in the past and then gave up.

Simplicity for me too.

I didn't really get very deep into earlier edition because of their complexity so I'm lacking the ability to compare and point out one particular thing. It's just simplicity. I just read through the basic rules once and felt ready to try it. That combined with the great starter set, made D&D E5 very great for me.

Li Shenron

Legend
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned:

The Proficiency bonus

After decades of progression tables by class, finally one bonus to rule them all! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads