D&D General [Poll] How do you prefer psionics to work?

What is your preferred approach to psionics?

• Point based (similar to spell points). Powers based on levels like spells are

Votes: 17 18.3%
  • Point based. Powers are not broken down into levels, but spell point investment power effects

Votes: 42 45.2%
  • Inherent skills to be used more often, but you only get fewer of them in total, recovery is per hour

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Inherent powers, fewer in total, and cast them like Vancian magic (per day)

Votes: 13 14.0%
  • Exhaustion based. Many powers don't raise exhaustion, but more powerful ones do

Votes: 9 9.7%
  • Specialize at 1st level, those options grow as you level but you don't get more choices

Votes: 6 6.5%

I prefer psionics stay far away from my 5e D&D game. But if they must exist anything is better than the recharge "per hour" option as that involves tracking time in a way none of my gaming tables do.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I still kinda wish Psionics was like superheroes. You get 1-3 powers that work at will and you can put more energy to enhance them or dip into adjacent powers.

Like you can take Telepathy (Link), Clairsentience (sight), and Psychokinesis (Push) toget basic at will mindlink, farsight, and force push. You put power points into Telepathy (Link) to forcefully read minds or into Psychokinesis (Push) to get Psychokinesis (FIRE!) at a higher cost.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
I still kinda wish Psionics was like superheroes. You get 1-3 powers that work at will and you can put more energy to enhance them or dip into adjacent powers.

Like you can take Telepathy (Link), Clairsentience (sight), and Psychokinesis (Push) toget basic at will mindlink, farsight, and force push. You put power points into Telepathy (Link) to forcefully read minds or into Psychokinesis (Push) to get Psychokinesis (FIRE!) at a higher cost.
too abstract to really work and have super limited would work better for a half-caste from a conceptual level.
Just reprint the 2E psionics handbook and adjust the damage for 5E. The perfect system
look I have read through that book and no it is not plus you have to get it to obey the 5e design structure.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Keep in mind this list is just very rough ideas to get the point across. Please don't take these as gospel

DisciplineName1 pt2 pt4 pt6 pt
ClairsentienceProbabilityalter roll by 1 pointreroll 1sreroll any roll
ClairsentienceSightclairaudienceclairvoyance
ClairsentienceCombat premonition+1 to attack per point
Psychic AlterationAlter Material1 cu ft 1 rnd per level5cu ft 1 rnd per level5 cu ft 1 turn per level10cu ft 1 turn per level
Psychic AlterationShapechanged1 cu ft, 1 turn per level5 cu ft10 cu ft50cu ft
Psychic AlterationAnimate Objects1 object 1 cu ft (stat block)5 cu ft10 cu ft20 cu ft
PsychokinesisTelekinesis10lb 10ft 1 round per level50lbs 30ft 1 round per level200 lbs 30ft 1 round per level1000 lbs, 10ft, 1 round per level
PsychokinesisPush200 lbs, 10ft back500 lbs, 25ft back1000 lbs, 25ft back5000lbs 25ft back
PsychokinesisShield+2 AC until next ROUND+2 AC 1 round per level+4 AC 1 round per level+4 AC per round, block first attack
PsychokinesisForcefield1 pt dmg reduction until next turn1d6 dmg reduction until next turn1d6 dmg reduc 1 round per level2d6 dmg reduc 1 round per level
PsychometabolismHeal1d6 hp per point
PsychometabolismPurifyremove poisonremove paralysisremove petrificationrecover lost level
PsychometabolismAlter Bodymodify 1 body part, 1 round per level1 turn per levelpolymorph 1 round per levelpolymorph 1 turn per level
PsychometabolismInfiltrationfade awayinvisibilityenhanced invisibility
PsychometabolismBody enhancement1 ability +1d41 ability +1d81 turn per level
PsychometabolismGrow/shrink50% taller/smaller, +2 strengthx2 height, 25% height, +4 strength1 turn per level5x height/10% height, +6 strength
PsychoportationMovementleaplevitatehastefly
PsychoportationShiftingblinkdimension doorpasswallteleport
PsychoportationPhase object1 lb, 30ft range5lbs 50ft range25 lbs, 75ft range50 lbs, 100ft range
TelepathyMeditateremove charm/fearremove holdremove all compulsionremove dominance
TelepathyMind linkESPMessageESP 1 creature per level
TelepathyMind AttackMind spikeStunComatoseDominate
TelepathyInfluencesuggestioncharmmass suggestionmass charm
TelepathyFrightenscarefearmass fear
TelepathyIllusionminor illusion, 1 target1 target per levelmajor illusionperfect illusion
This is very similar to my own homebrew Psychic class is set. Which really doesn't (though I selected the Power Point option) match any of the poll options perfectly. They are Point driven, that's the Class' signature mechanic that makes them "not just another wizard/caster." But there are also inherent powers to all Psychics (Talents) and innate powers tied to your area of focus (Discipline) that are universal to all psychics of your kind.

I have a more limited number of "sub-classes" worked out (4, not 6). And the selection of a subclass ("discipline"), in the 5e vein, is pushed back to 3rd level.

You begin with "Mental Talents" (a.k.a. Psychic cantrips) that are, mostly, at will. Some more powerful talents have point costs. These talents include various offensive and defensive powers that are, largely, effective against any sentient/sapient mind, so the Psychic need not feel "useless" their first few levels. A lot of them are "divinatory" in nature: Detecting Minds, Detecting Auras, Detecting [other] Psychics (e.g. Psychicly Aware minds/creatures, psychic energies/powers in the area, etc...], Sensing Danger, and such like.

You begin with a number of Talents, and gain more as you level up. But you use them at will (predominantly).

When you choose a Discipline: Telepathy or Telekinetics are the base/first options presented, I later added Clairvoyance and Empathy as additional disciplines - you receive a base, at will, power that can be augmented with points spent, and gain additional innate discipline powers...I want to say at 3 further levels (don't recall offhand which ones. Something like 7th, 11th, 15th sounds about right). Otherwise, you have access to ANY and ALL powers in your Discipline power list. These lists are divided into various amounts of PP, vs. "spell level," that must be spent to enact.

So, you could spend all day using minor point or at will powers and feel fine. OR, if necessity warranted, you might blow your entire daily allotment of PP in a single massive manifestation that leaves you completely exhausted...but you brought down the entire temple on that army of snake-demons that had your party hopelessly outnumbered, for example.

Expanding your mental powers into a secondary discipline comes in at higher level...I think 12th...

I expect, eventually, if there were call for it from a player, I could add in the metabolic and 'porting powers/disciplines. The Empath has a little bit of metabolic powers, now that I think about it. But minor. No shapeshifting or anything like that.

EDIT: Oh! And I DO, wherever possible, use the names of standardized spells to describe powers that do the same thing. I think it assists in player "buy-in" and comprehension. You can have your magely spellbook-carrying guy who knows the incantation to Charm Person. OR, you could be a Psychic, take the Telepathy discipline, and Charm Person without a word. Any tweaking/variables that work differently for the psychic version, are just explained in the spell description. So, there are powers in the Psychic power lists like Detect Magic, Suggestion, Hold Person and Levitate. But there are also things like "Moment of Prescience" and "Energy Dispersion," "Aggression Inversion" and "Vertigo Blast."

Last edited:

Remove ads