Pop Culture Stuff You Just Don't Get

Zardnaar

Legend
This thread is about music, movies, video games etc that you just don't get.

This is not a this is crap or annoying or anything like that. Just stuff that makes you go huh.

A few of mine.

Bands
REM
Coldplay
Dido

I hear these bands in the radio and just get bored. Doesn't really matter what song although Shiny Happy People is slightly annoying. Otherwise meh.

Movies
Titanic

Never seen it, never wanted to, boat sinks dude dies. Meh.

Games

Nintendo
Back in the 90s I came down on the Sega side of the fence. SNES was hard to get though. Since then we still have gamecube,Wii, Wii U and switch. My wife buys them and her sister loves it but I thought my Wii was mostly meh.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Never seen it, never wanted to, boat sinks dude dies. Meh.

Well, yes, it is kind of hard to get the point of a piece of art or entertainment if you don't ever experience it. Kind of by definition - if you are ignorant of a thing, you will not understand that thing.

For example, the movie in question - it has a lot of personal stories in it that aren't about the main two characters. And, while we know that death is inevitable for most of them, and in fact, because we know death is inevitable for most of them, we can look instead at how humans face death. Having discarded it as "boat sinks, dude dies" you'd not know that.

Retreater

Legend
Here's my pop culture thing: I don't watch TV series. I just stare blankly when people discuss The Office, The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Doctor Who, Big Bang Theory, any of the Marvel or DC shows, etc. The only exceptions have been Stranger Things and Cobra Kai, because they are shorter series.
I just don't have time for it.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
For example, the movie in question - it has a lot of personal stories in it that aren't about the main two characters. And, while we know that death is inevitable for most of them, and in fact, because we know death is inevitable for most of them, we can look instead at how humans face death. Having discarded it as "boat sinks, dude dies" you'd not know that.

I wanted to be as willfully ignorant about that movie as well. And then it stayed in the the theaters. And stayed in the theaters. And STAYED IN THE THEATERS. How could something that freaking long stay in the theaters still - how was it still generating them a profit?!

So finally at the six month mark me and an equally obtuse stubborn inclined friend went to go see it in the theaters. And learned what it was about and enjoyed it greatly.

Remove ads