Pop Culture Stuff You Just Don't Get

Zardnaar

Legend
Apathy is certainly an interesting thing to fill every thread with.

Just this one. Hyperbole much been saying plenty of nice things about Midgard, GoS,Kobold Press.

It's the interwebs, eat a nice steak you tell a few friends and family, eat a bad one you're gonna tell everyone.

Had a really good briscotti (spelling?) Burger last night washed down with a IPA.

Also drunk Baltika 9, 5.7 standard drinks a can it's from Russia. I recommend a cold shower before or after if you wanna try that one.

GreyLord

Legend
Mine is more with changes in the world's (mostly the West's) perception of life. It's far more broad than one simple or small thing, but about changes with our Western society itself.

Decades ago it was there were no limits or the sky is the limit. Don't let others limit you, and if you work hard there are no limits to what you can do or what you can achieve. It was that feeling of hope.

Today, it's all about limits. You cannot do something or cannot break such and such a ceiling.

I suppose I should put it in D&D terms (as this is a forum). So, more of a parable that relates modern ideas to the old ideas. It's not necessarily D&D, but using D&D as a parable so people can sort of understand what I'm talking about in relation to society itself.

In older editions there was no limitations to the levels you could obtain. If you wanted to go crazy bonkers you could make a million level character (really out there, though I HAVE heard that some have played with characters with 700 or 800 level characters and such crazy stuff...but they could if they wanted to). You had this in 1e, and at the beginning of 2e (later they had stricter limitations to level 20, or 30 if High Level, or 40 if in the Forgotten Realms). In 3e and 3.5 there were no set limits on levels OR ability scores.

Fast forward to today, people are all about low bonded accuracy numbers (+4 spread between levels, not even a 10 point spread there), level 20 as the maximum level, and 20 being the highest your stats can ever be (though, admittedly, if you go with epic boons and such, you can get up to 30 in an ability score). It suddenly is all about limitations on things.

Off the D&D parable now...it's like people give up and accept that there are limits in life. It's like limiting hope. It's prevalent in society now. I don't get why people have this type of attitude and are promoting it these days in some places. You find it in music, TV shows, and other things. For example, even in a shorter term idea, in Doctor Who Companions like Rose and others were the ones that were ultimately the force of the universe in the final episodes that caused change. The doctor was there and effective, but in the end it was the companion that was the real thing. In more recent seasons it seems the Doctor is the effective force of change. There's a unwritten idea companions cannot be more powerful than the doctor. It's hard to see, but there (not as strongly as other things though). It's the idea that we cannot do things at times no matter how hard we try, or that we will never be as great as something else. It's like how superheroes are now the focus of our movies because normal people like you and I, we cannot accomplish the things those who are more than human have.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Really, the only pop-culture phenomenon I have never been able to understand is graffiti.

Yes, I know about its rich history and variety of cultures and how it's been around for centuries and spans the globe and forget "Enter the Spiderverse," did you know they even found it in the tombs of the pharaohs, and so on?

And I know that yes, it was an important form of covert communication, functioned (and still functions) as a language of sorts for Those In The Know, allowing railriders and migrant workers to find doctors, food, safe places to sleep, and woah cool that's probably where the "shadowmarks" in Skyrim came from.

And yes, I know that art is always changing and redefining itself and you know Banksy turned it into "high art" now so we're supposed to look at it differently and oh, like, wow, like, maybe it's, like, the next step in, like, artistic evolution or something...

...but at the end of the day, graffiti still isn't art and the people who do it still aren't Banksy. Their scribbles still aren't going to be recorded into the history books because they are still going to be removed by the frustrated property owners at the first opportunity. And they still aren't going to be famous, because the total number of people who will ever be impressed is less than 2.

What I'm trying to say is, leave the retaining wall across the street alone, you weirdos.

Last edited:

Remove ads