Pop Culture Stuff You Just Don't Get

Zardnaar

Legend
That’s not true, is it?

I don't mind being negative the stuff I listed I don't have a strong opinion on one way or another.

Animie and Ravenloft are other examples.

TV shows Walking Dead, Lost, most American sitcoms and romcoms.

All Blacks rugby worst NZer ever. Most NZ TV shows.

All of the above don't annoy me or anything just not interested in it. Just doesn't do anything for me. I don't see how that's negative.

Negative is most fish and most NZ normal beers, Budweiser makes them look good.

Kaodi

Hero
I think there is too much good or at least eminently watchable TV out there these days for anyone to have seen it all. Unless perhaps they are paid to watch if professionally. So there are always going to be things you do not get because you have not seen them. I have not seen The Office, Parks and Recreation, Modern Family, Veep, and a whole bunch of other rather popular things. I am sure they are good, but I do not have the time to visit them all. My life is wasting away as it is.

Ditto for games, video or otherwise, though you can add in money as a factor there. I could easily spend the rest of my life playing games all day every day if I had the cash to make it happen.

Limits are just there. They have to be accepted, because sometime if you do not accept the limits you are actually limiting yourself even further. That is how climate change seems like it is going down. We cannot accept limits on our consumption because "the math does not work" but eventually the math is going to blow up and possibly kill us all. If we could accept the limits on what we could do now then maybe our species future could be unlimited, but that is probably not us.

Ulfgeir

Hero
Things I don't get is why the heck do we have a gazillion "reality"-shows on Discovery-Channel... We don't need for example 3 different shows about gold-diggers, or 5 shows about rebuilding cars, or however many there is now about the harshness of living in Alaska. Give me the kind of shows that explore things, or show how things are constructed, or something with science so I can learn things. And yes, I am old enough to remember when MTV actually played music videos.

I also don't get all the sitcoms such as Friends, Frazier, How I met your mother, Big Bang Theory...

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Things I don't get is why the heck do we have a gazillion "reality"-shows on Discovery-Channel...

That's simple - shows about actual discovery are expensive to produce, and don't get people watching them. Discovery (and History, for that matter) started with content appropriate to their names. They have changed over time due to the simple fact that people weren't watching that content.

Yes - "Ancient Aliens" gets more eyeballs than actual history.

I also don't get all the sitcoms such as Friends, Frazier, How I met your mother, Big Bang Theory...

The same populace that doesn't want to see science and history also has influence on all other programming we watch. The sitcom format also got us Community and The Good Place, at least.

Last edited:

Sacrosanct

Legend
A "get off my lawn" thread!? I feel a calling...

As retreater said, I don't get a lot of pop culture TV references like Parks & Rec, the Office (US version), etc. When I do watch TV series, it's usually British TV. Or a Netflix/Amazon show (currently watching Carnival Row and Great British Bake off for instance).

I also don't get a lot of jargon, like "Bae". I know what it means, I just hate it lol. Also fads, like dabbing.

And while I live in the Portland metro area, I grew up in Alaska and eastern Oregon. So if you're gonna have a lumberjack beard, you better darn well know how to use a chainsaw ;)

Remove ads