Pop Culture Stuff You Just Don't Get

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Discord!

I am quite adaptive when it comes to technology. Even Twitter, which I hated and thought was a stupid idea for a service, I ended up using and gaining at least some appreciation for it.

But I just don't get the appeal of discord. I find the interface a mess. There are so many great teleconference and chat tools out there that are far more intuitive, pleasant, and reliable. In the past year, for various projects, work collaborations, and family and friend communication I've used the following services:

Google Hangouts / Google Meet (heavy user, laptop and phone, I DM games using it)
Google Chat (used to use heavily, now rarely)
Slack (have not used in over 6 months, but it was a solid product)
Microsoft Teams (works great on laptop and phone)
Roll20's buil--in audio-video (meh, everyone needs to have really solid Internet or it gets choppy)
WebEx (starting to feel long in the tooth/clunky)
GoToMeeting (solid product, but I like JoinMe and Google Meet more)
JoinMe (one of my favorite meeting apps, now dethroned by Google Meet)
Then there are the mobile-focused apps: Signal, WhatsApp, Line, and FaceTime

ANY OF THESE would be better than Discord which seems to have been coded by developers tripping on acid. It is confusing to join, confusing to keep on top of anything you've joined, and I find that outside of the US and Western Europe, the service sucks.

PLEASE, somebody younger than me who has experience with other products, and is technically informed, explain to me what the draw of Discord is? My son only uses it because his friends use it. I only use it because if I want to join a game on Roll20 I pretty much have to use it. So, yes, everyone uses it is why everyone uses it--I get that. But WHY did it become the service everyone uses?

And why won't it get of my lawn!

Horror movies about Gore

6 o'clock news about Gore (either one)

Funk-kos or whatever the bobblehead figures are

Why druggies and pregnant teens get state aid but disabled 50+ year olds do not whom worked all of their lives

Many things political or so unpopular I would be kicked off EN World just to suggest

Zardnaar

Legend
I don't really get selfies either.

Most of mine are the cat on me not myself as such.

Discord not sure what happened there, we used teamspeak for years and everyone jumped on discord.

Last edited:

Things I don't get is why the heck do we have a gazillion "reality"-shows on Discovery-Channel... We don't need for example 3 different shows about gold-diggers, or 5 shows about rebuilding cars, or however many there is now about the harshness of living in Alaska. Give me the kind of shows that explore things, or show how things are constructed, or something with science so I can learn things. And yes, I am old enough to remember when MTV actually played music videos.

I also don't get all the sitcoms such as Friends, Frazier, How I met your mother, Big Bang Theory...

The channels go where the money goes, i'm sure you're also old enough to remember when TLC had government funding.
I was that way, until I realized that twitter is a good way to get a daily dose of cute animal pictures. In the midst of other frustrations, this can be a goodness.
I tend to follow the cute animal pictures and parents who share funny moments due to kids.

Horror movies about Gore

6 o'clock news about Gore (either one)

Funk-kos or whatever the bobblehead figures are

Funkos and it's a collectible or another way to express interest in something. The ones I have bought myself are Darcy and Elizabeth from Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, one from Magic The gathering and Moriarty wearing the royal clothes from Sherlock, and lastly spider-man hanging upside from Homecoming. As for the gore..if it bleeds it leads.

I don't get the whole rims on cars or anything related it to it.

Remove ads