Pop Culture Stuff You Just Don't Get

Kaodi

Hero
Listening to a couple of songs before bed and... I do not understand how anyone could not understand Dido's White Flag, ; ) .

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I don’t get social media threads that invite people to list their pent up dislikes and frustrations

(Edgy, I know😎)

Ryujin

Legend
Leaving aside the aspects we can't discuss here, PewDiPie. Never found him to be funny or engaging. Never found him to be entertaining.

Then again I never 'got' Seinfeld either. A show about nothing that admits it's a show about nothing, using New York Yiddishisms to confuse Middle America into laughing?

well that also partly explains why you don't get the sitcoms you listed.

Oddly enough, the biggest Friends fan I ever met (in person) was a college roommate who was from Turkey. He absolutely loved the show and watched it all the time.

I knew another guy from Egypt who absolutely loved Family Guy. It was a weird to talk to him one day and learn that he understood almost none of the pop culture references. For example, when Stewie sang the Shatner version of Rocketman, he knew neither the song nor Shatner's music career. To him it was all complete absurdity that he found utterly hilarious.

I guess both of these are cases where people who didn't "get it" enjoyed shows. Whereas I "got it" but enjoyed them much less (I dislike Friends and find Family Guy to be okay).

Then again I never 'got' Seinfeld either. A show about nothing that admits it's a show about nothing, using New York Yiddishisms to confuse Middle America into laughing?
I never got it either, the shows mantra was no learning no hugging,and I just couldn't get into the main characters always being jerkish

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I didn't get Seinfeld either.

Not a Friend's fan either but I kinda get it but not a massive sitcom fan is the main problem.
I dont get American humour in general, so neither sitcoms nor American stand up comedians appeal to me.

I much prefer British comedy and comedians from anyway other than the US

Remove ads