Possible Races & Classes of Ravnica?

QuietBrowser

First Post
It seems to be shaping up to be both an introduction to the specific setting, but also of use for honebrewers through crunch support.
In fairness, that is what a campaign book should do. It introduces its own world, and ideally appeals to fans of the pre-existing world if it's tapping into an existing fan-base, but it should have mechanical goodies that a homebrewer can steal and incorporate into their own work.

QuietBrowser

First Post
Has anyone seen any recent rumor or leak on Enworld claiming that Dryads might be a PC race in the Guildmaster's Guide? I swear I saw such a post but now I can't remember where I saw it.

gyor

Legend
Has anyone seen any recent rumor or leak on Enworld claiming that Dryads might be a PC race in the Guildmaster's Guide? I swear I saw such a post but now I can't remember where I saw it.

I've seen speculation to that effect, but no actually rumours confirming it.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

Dryads are a definite thing in Ravnica, so there is a reasonable chance, but no specific rumors I've seen, either.

maceo

Explorer
I didn’t know anything about Ravnica until the announcement so yesterday I started putting together a document so I could look at all the information in one place when I’m finished instead of looking all over online. I started reviewing the guilds and now I’m going through the cards. I’m already at 86 pages of information.

For races it seems like: Loxodons, Centaurs, Elves, Humans, Dryads, Goblins, Merfolk, Minotaurs, Vedalken, and Viashino.

Classes would be the same but there are a lot of shamans in Ravnica and I’m wondering what class they will use to represent them. Shamans seem like a mix between wizard and druid. Also I hope they do something with biomancers or give more details about magic that changes or warps creatures.

One thing I am glad I am going through the cards for is to see what the different classes from the different guilds look like. I really hope they show what a typical wizard looks like from one guild to the next, same for warrior, cleric, etc…

• Ravnica: City of Guilds showed the Boros Legion, House Dimir, Golgari Swarm, and Selesnya Conclave
• Guildpact showed Orzhov Syndicate, Gruul Clans, and Izzet League (this is the one I am reviewing now)
• Dissension showed Azorius Senate, Rakdos Cult, and Simic Combine
• Return to Ravnica showed more Azorius Senate, Golgari Swarm, Izzet League, Rakdos Cult, and Selesnya Conclave
• Gatecrash showed more Boros Legion, House Dimir, Orzhov Syndicate, Gruul Clans, and Simic Combine
• Dragon’s Maze showed more of all 10 guilds

There are a TON of creatures! There’s no way they can show them all so I want to go through the cards and get a sense of everything that someone could encounter.

page1.JPG

page 2.JPG

Shaman: in earlier editions these have been implemented (roughly) as a sorcerer with a druid spell list. They might not necessarily follow that tradition, but if they do it would be a sorcerer subclass.

gyor

Legend
Embermages were mentioned being in. Viashino are in, Goblins are in, Minataurs are in. Centaurs (from the UA article), Vedalkyn (already appeared in the planeshift articles), Dryads (too important apart of a Guild) are probably in. Maybes are Vampires, maybe with 2 guild based subraces (Orzhov and Dimir), Kraul. I think they will want at least none human/elf race linked to every guild, so Simic Vedalkyn and Merfolk, maybe mutants, that nature hippy one Dryads, Minotaurs, Loxodons, Centaurs, Golgori Krauls and maybe Reverants, Izzet Vedalkyn and goblins, Boros Minotaurs, Goblins, Viashino, Cult of Rakdos Goblins, for example.

QuietBrowser

First Post
As I understand it, "Shamans" in MtG parlance are characterized by taking a more intuitive, emotional approach to their magic, whilst wizards take a more logical, studied approach. So, shamans as either a Sorcerer "reskin" or as a subclass make sense for an MtG supplement.

The Golgari are characterized as a shamanic faction (which makes sense; Green is one of the "instinct first" colors), so alongside the Rot Druid update, we could potentially see a necromancy subclass for Sorcerers, which is pretty neat, even though I think 5e sorcerers are mechanically underwhelming.

I am praying, above all else, that the Gorgons get to be a PC race. Between the prominence of Vraska - a Golgari Gorgon Planeswalker - in Ixalan, and the Gorgon lore as being considered the underclass of the Golgari Swarm, who are already social pariahs in Ravnica, they have a great setup to justify gorgon PCs, and they're certainly as memorable and distinctive as viashino or loxodons. It's not like it's impossible to convert them; go with a Dragonborn style gaze attack that does necrotic damage (plus slowing or maybe other goodies behind a racial feat), and state that the petrification is a cosmetic effect that applies to victims killed by it, and bam, you have a perfectly playable PC who has the petrifying fluff without actually being able to dish out Flesh to Stone attacks at-will.

QuietBrowser

First Post
So, we know from the August Unearthed Arcana that we're definitely getting Viashino (as their own race, no less), Loxodons, Ravnican Vedalken and Simic Combine Hybrids as PC races. How do folks think the odds are for racial & class inclusions now?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So, we know from the August Unearthed Arcana that we're definitely getting Viashino (as their own race, no less), Loxodons, Ravnican Vedalken and Simic Combine Hybrids as PC races. How do folks think the odds are for racial & class inclusions now?

Anything in UA might not be definite, but I feel odds are good for these four.

The Brute is apparently out, but the other Subclasses playtesting seem they might be in.

Remove ads