post apocalyptic barberian action

michaeljpastor

Adventurer
If you go back to the original dungeon Master's guide they have a way for you to Crossover with Gamma World end there's lots of really cool s*** that you can do with it. I ended up creating a campaign setting based on partially Thundarr and some other ideas that came up. It actually became the basis in my first novel
If you go back to the original dungeon Master's guide they have a way for you to Crossover with Gamma World end there's lots of really cool s*** that you can do with it. I ended up creating a campaign setting based on partially Thundarr and some other ideas that came up. It actually became the basis in my first novel
Replying to my own post. A few details about the setting we'd created. It was an attempt to colonize an extra-solar planet, but a native virus mutates some of the humans (the gamma world mutations), mostly in subsequent generations. There are two native races, one per hemisphere. They mingle on each others half since the arrival of the humans and mutants. One was based on the Phanathons from Isle of Dread, the other was based on any of the Little Folk lineages (1/2s, gnomes, etc). But insert your own personal DND race choices here.

Theres an island continent, where sertain factions would like all the Terran to go. Oh and all Magic is psionic in nature, so all spells are available to all classes.

Adding the Gamma World mutations really spice things up for characters that have grown stale and quite frankly it was a lot of fun playing it with that over the top Gamma World flavor

k i used that map below with pic assets from fallout 76.

i also have a Zeppelin map if they aren't able to stop otto and his iznotz.

i'm going to use an apocalypse clock to represent the infection of nora (the ai that was kidnapped by auto that was a tanagaichi in the pcs possession.

if the clock fills up, the robots in the bunker activate and start smacking the pcs.

now trying to figure out ways for the pcs to roll back the clock and/or

trying to balence size, work involved and fun.

so far this is the best pic i've found.

trying to do a five room dungeon.

Entrance and Guardian:
They already defeated two waves of IzNotz, so want something different.
I want a mechanical guardian that the party needs to smack down.
- Earth Elemental if I can't think of something better.

I'd use the archie bots from savage rifts, but I already found they are overpowered.

Puzzle or Role-Playing Challenge:
  • quarentine level -
  • need to convince the ai in this area. that they aren't going to put in bugs and pests.

Trick or Setback:
- The rescue nora (the tamaguichi), but the clock keeps ticking as she's already infected.

Climax, Big Battle or Conflict:
big fight
Otto van skorzy with a jetpack (who stole the tamaguichi originally)
What tricks does otto have?

Reward, Revelation, Plot Twist:

need to break out of the vault as their is a self destruct sequence.

denouemont - fight with the raider

Replying to my own post. A few details about the setting we'd created. It was an attempt to colonize an extra-solar planet, but a native virus mutates some of the humans (the gamma world mutations), mostly in subsequent generations. There are two native races, one per hemisphere. They mingle on each others half since the arrival of the humans and mutants. One was based on the Phanathons from Isle of Dread, the other was based on any of the Little Folk lineages (1/2s, gnomes, etc). But insert your own personal DND race choices here.

Theres an island continent, where sertain factions would like all the Terran to go. Oh and all Magic is psionic in nature, so all spells are available to all classes.

Adding the Gamma World mutations really spice things up for characters that have grown stale and quite frankly it was a lot of fun playing it with that over the top Gamma World flavor
I can see it.

How are your players responding to the changes?

Savage World - Death to the IzNotz - Part 6 - Assta-la-vista IzNotz!

managed to finish my Death to the IzNotz savage world game. they went into a bunker, managed to copy the tamaguichi into a archie 3 botweiller (that got renamed bitey), and mowed down tons of IzNotz in creative ways. A bit of a pity they didn't end up on the Zepplin, but if we ever get back to it, the sequal will be Death to the IzNotz, Hindenburg harder.

I'm realizing should have let the minions fight for a round or two before the big bad got out, because the pcs definately homed in hard on old Otto.

the Dwarf Mad Scientist wants to apparently play luigis mansion as he found an artifact at some later game as well.

I wanted to thank you all for the feedback and inspiration that you guys provided. :)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Savage World - Death to the IzNotz - Part 6 - Assta-la-vista IzNotz!

managed to finish my Death to the IzNotz savage world game. they went into a bunker, managed to copy the tamaguichi into a archie 3 botweiller (that got renamed bitey), and mowed down tons of IzNotz in creative ways. A bit of a pity they didn't end up on the Zepplin, but if we ever get back to it, the sequal will be Death to the IzNotz, Hindenburg harder.

I'm realizing should have let the minions fight for a round or two before the big bad got out, because the pcs definately homed in hard on old Otto.

the Dwarf Mad Scientist wants to apparently play luigis mansion as he found an artifact at some later game as well.

I wanted to thank you all for the feedback and inspiration that you guys provided. :)
Glad y’all had fun!

Using minions- in any game system- is more art than science. You want to get the action flowing, but USUALLY, you don’t want to soften the heroes up TOO much.

michaeljpastor

Adventurer
I can see it.

How are your players responding to the changes?
We only got to play a few sessions as post holocaust. Basically they went through a portal that transported them from Fantasyland to science fiction land and the transition mutated a few of them in similar ways to how the natives has been mutated.

What was so much fun, as an example, is one of the characters basically mutated into a 5 ft tall Smurf who is immune to any kind of psychic manipulation. We sort of retconned him into being basically a member of one of the native races who were all copper-based amphibious and resistant to the radiations of the native rock that gave characters their psychic powers so they couldn't be manipulated. So they could never have psionics themselves but it wasn't all bad really since there was an inherent balance to the trait.

The ones who decided to play pure strain human types who couldn't be mutated at all enjoyed it for a while but afterwards said it would obviously be more fun to have the chance.

Another option was no mutations, but they could have psychic powers. The characters who would play magic based characters in d&d essentially just continued the same thing in the new setting with a few minor changes.

One character mutated into basically a small yeti (still medium sized but very very strong) who had armored feet basically. Since half of us played soccer someone joked that he should kick boulders as his ranged weapon and it was done to hilarious effect sometimes especially if he missed or God forbid rolled a one and the ricochet affects were almost like chaos magic.

But one thing I never got to implement in play, because it took so long to create, was two different kinds of mutations. The "extra physical" which included such things as the energy drains and fire breathing and other goofy stuff like that was on one table. You had to roll in the upper 90s in order to get those mutations on a d100. I separated them so that you could do the extra- scientific mutations as an option if you wanted to keep everything strictly physiological and more hard science than science fantasy.The other table was strictly physiological mutations so one would have four arms or three toes or purple hair or plated skin or proto wings. That table was huge (with TONS of subtables) and my siblings, who did not play role playing games, loved play testing it, randomly rolling physical mutations for hours on end, especially on road trips in the car; and I just discovered that my sister thought it was the most fun things that we used to do together as siblings. I'm not really an artist but I would attempt to draw them and went through many iterations based on my siblings feedback. I've always wanted to create a software program that did it for you, and without easy it is to do skinning and 3D model printing it'd be really awesome to see. One mutant with four arms and three toes can look very different from another mutant with four arms and three toes.

I no longer have the tables but I really been itching to reproduce them as a gamma world option.

Last edited:

michaeljpastor

Adventurer
Hmmm...that 3D printer idea gives ME an idea.

Knowledge is power.

Somebody finds a small computer (and working power supply- maybe solar?) with a large hard drive of info (and/or a stash of removable drives) might be able to be a king. Or nearly oracular kingmaker.

Depending on the original owner’s interests, there could be data on locations of natural resources, useful scientific/engineer formulae, farming techniques, nutrition, toxic plants, etc.

Think Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court on steroids.

Possession of such a thing might be worth killing for in a post-apocalyptic setting.
Knowledge is also money if commodtized. ROM data is stored in dice sized indestructible crystals, color coded by data type/subject and number of facets indicates how much memory. So basically you can use your spare RPG dice to represent the money lol.

How many data readers there are is were the value really comes into play. But the data crystals are so plentiful that its spilling over to a non-data eceonomy and people accept them as a sort of reserve/elitist currency. Like any collectibles however if you have a data Crystal that the data banks already have their value goes way down. If you go a few dozen miles away however the next town Data Bank won't have that and so they become much more valuable again. Having a personal digital assistant that is compatible with the data crystals makes one essentially a sage and it's actually a character class. If you're lucky enough to have a AI or Droid minion/hireling things can be interesting because they can read the data but their personality quirks make getting access to that data something of a negotiation

michaeljpastor

Adventurer
Fortunately, that's pretty simple... grind the source down to fine particles, put in boiled water, let cool to under 100°F add yeast, and keep between 60°F and 90°F for a couple months, covered but vented. If using wood, you want sawdust, really... but don't taste test it! straw, chaff from wheat, and a number of other items can be used to make a boiled mash, which, once cooled, can be fermented easily. Some plant matter that doesn't easily break down can be allowed to generate molds to render the starchews to sugars for fermentation.

... but turning the resultant brew to burnables? distillation! in the far north, that's easy... put the brew outside in the winter, opening and removing ice daily or weekly. Anywhere else? You need a still, and that means sheet metal and/or piping.

Freeze distillation can be used to get burnable fuel. I made heart of mead that was over 110 proof... it would sustain flame.
I believe this is how Mark Twain was able to create his industrial complex to create his riverboat in the Riverworld series, No?

Remove ads