• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Powergaming: Wizard vs. Sorcerer

Which is more powerful?

• Wizard

Votes: 180 82.6%
  • Sorcerer

Votes: 38 17.4%

Voadam

Legend
I think wizard's are considered more powerful in general, and definitely when they know what they are going to be facing and can tailor their spell selection. Loading up on cheap scrolls they make themselves is a good way to have more spells and more emergency utility spells.

But I'd rather be a sorcerer when jumped by surprise or when waking up naked in a jail cell.

Lorgrom

First Post
Neither, its all a matter of which kind of caster matches a given players gameing style. For me Sorceror is more powerful, but a close friend find Wizard's more powerful.

Crothian

First Post
Sorcerer since spontaneous casting is just that much better then preparing ahead of time. Plus they give up nothing by taking prestige classes.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Odd-levels after 1st: a Wizard wins.

Even-levels after 2nd: a Wizard probably still wins.

Sorcerers win in two scenarios:
1/ ambush; or
2/ prolonged encounters that require exactly the spells they know, AND the Wizard is too poor to have in "disposable format" (wand, scroll, staff).

Wizard win when they are allowed to prepare -- strategically (by making items) or tactically (by picking the right spells for the day).

Cheers, -- N

Pyrex

First Post
Vote: Wizard

When played optimally, I believe that Wizards have a noticable edge.

However, Sorcerers are easier to play.

werk

First Post
Nifft said:
Odd-levels after 1st: a Wizard wins.

Even-levels after 2nd: a Wizard probably still wins.

I just wanted to chime in and remid everyone about the wizard's bonus feats and Int as a primary stat skill synergy.

:D

Nifft

Penguin Herder
IMHO, Sorcerers can be powerful and fun, and certainly lower paperwork. But the paperwork buys power. If you are able to really exploit a Wizard's flexibility (tactical and strategic), you can leverage that into more power.

IMHO Sorcerers -- particularly Sorcerers with access to some fun Heritage feats -- are still a nice strong option. They're just not as strong as Wizards, Clerics or Druids. But they're still better than Bards or Fighters. :D

Cheers, -- N

Valesin

First Post
Wizards by far.

Everyone keeps saying that the wizard needs to know what he is up against, which clearly does help. But the sorcerer may or may not be effective whether he knows what he is up against or not. If the sorcerer doesn't have the proper spells for a situation, he never will: No leaving slots open to prepare what you need, no coming back the next day with the proper spells, no scouting/magically investigating an area or situation to determine what will be most useful.

Both run the risk of having poor spell choices for a given situation. But if the sorcerer has lousy spells for a situation, he always will.

And your sorcerer will never have the breadth of spells necessary to overcome non-combat situations. I suspect that the majority of replies voting sorcerer more powerful will go on to talk about how they are so great at blowing stuff up or dealing damage in some way. But if your game is structured in such a way the the most interesting option for an arcanist is hurting things then I am glad I am not playing in it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads