D&D 5E Prestige Classes in 5e: What do you want to see?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I think they certainly can work, but the best approach would be to build the class system around the expectation that they'll exist. More of a 5e overhaul than a 5e add-on. Have more generic, low-magic class options available at 1 that only have somewhere between 5-6 levels of progression (with a mini-capstone), then a whole suite of prestige class options that are linked to campaign concepts and provide your stronger, higher level abilities.

Sacrosanct

Legend
If WotC can figure out how to implement PrC's in a way that doesn't steal thunder from the original classes and archetypes, that'd be a real coup, I think.

This is the million dollar question, I think. This is purely anecdotal, but the impression I got during 3e was that no one played the core classes anymore once they qualified for a prestige class. In practical application, fighters, rogues, clerics, and wizards only needed XP tables to level 10 max. Everyone and their grandma's dog had a prestige class by then.

When I hear prestige class, red flags immediately go up because it sets the expectation that multi-classing is required and that leads to build optimization and system mastery requirements. I really don't see 5e doing that, as it's been very explicit that multi-classing is optional, and someone who doesn't give two whits about optimization can play alongside someone who does and both PCs will be relatively equal mechanically. So doing PrC would be a challenge for sure.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
The Prestige Class; one of 3rd edition's most iconic inventions, which was so admired that 4e co-opted it as the basis for its Paragon Path and Epic Destiny mechanics. But, in 5th edition, they have yet to officially resurface. We had one early Unearthed Arcana issue talking about them, which introduced the Runesmith, but beyond that, there's been nothing.

Let me give you this from my viewpoint.

Prestige Classes were something new introduced by 3ed because it's brand of multiclassing differed strongly from the multiclassing of previous editions and they needed a way to give out appropriately high level features at low class levels.

It was a fun pony ride for a while, but lead to having to work out your character growth from day one in order to have the appropriate prerequisites such as feats and skill ranks that soon turned it from fun to a chore that got in the way of just building your character like you want.

Many hated it because it either twisted their character from early levels, or because they lived one level at a time and when they got up to those levels and all of their fellow PCs were getting great new features, they found out they didn't have the prereqs to take what they wanted.

4e had something a bit like an evolution of the prestige class concept, but changed everything about them mechanically. They got rid of most prereqs and added that they were tied (always? mostly?) to classes, but the biggest change is that EVERYONE got them when they hit paragon. This eliminated the problems of 3ed. 5e subclasses have further evolved the concept in that everyone gets them and they are tied to class, but doesn't wait until high levels to enjoy having that customization level.

So as far as I'm concerned, the best parts of prestige classes, specifically without the problem child of locking some characters out, have already evolved 3ed -> 4e -> 5e in a way that everyone can use and enjoy.

Last edited:

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I'd like to see Prestige Classes implemented as trans-class archetypes.

Either A) as a single archetype that is applicable across all class (i.e an Arcane Archer might get imbue spell arrow that is separate from spellcasting )

or B) an archetype that varies depending on the class. Arcane Archer Fighters gain limited spell casting and imbue spell arrow, while Arcane Archer Wizards gain Extra Attack and imbue spell Arrow.

I feel like special feats, combined with existing class structure could do A, my choice of the two options.

A feat would not be overpowering (done properly), could be picked up by any class at any point in their career, and fits mechanically, for concepts such as Arcane Archer.

PrCs that would be considered for "special organizations", say, the Dragon Master Academy, could be a couple of feats showing the techniques that org teaches, OR it just could be in game RP benefits, thus not needing mechanics, optimally a combo of rp and a feat or two.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
So as far as I'm concerned, the best parts of prestige classes, specifically without the problem child of locking some characters out, have already evolved 3ed -> 4e -> 5e in a way that everyone can use and enjoy.

RP benefits and feats (as described above) would solve the problem of "locking people out".

But I mainly agree, the chassis of 5e has evolved so that PrCs are way less needed, and should be campaign specific.

I think we could stand to see more "conceptual feats"--like the hypothetical arcane archer feat that didn't make it into the final version of the game--that, when combined with the right background and subclass, could accommodate most prior PrC concepts. But I don't want to see PrCs themselves.

There's a book of feats on DMsGuild that is much like this. The feats in the book combine different aspects of classes that a character is multi classed in.

--Multiclass Feats (5e)--

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
RP benefits and feats (as described above) would solve the problem of "locking people out".

But I mainly agree, the chassis of 5e has evolved so that PrCs are way less needed, and should be campaign specific.

Feats are a precious resource and ones that often aren't worth giving up the ASI. And if you are multiclassing already they can even be rarer. And again they come only every few levels and some people don't pre-plan - at 6th you say hey, I want to grab a PrC but oh I can't until I take the feat at 8th and then get the PrC at 9th and only get 2 levels into it because the AP ends at 10th.

If a PrC concept requires any specific build choices I'm not for it.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Based on the play test feedback survey, and what [MENTION=697]mearls[/MENTION] said about that on Twitter...5E prestige classes will not be coming in an official form. Just not needed, and apparently not wanted?

Sacrosanct

Legend
Many hated it because it either twisted their character from early levels, or because they lived one level at a time and when they got up to those levels and all of their fellow PCs were getting great new features, they found out they didn't have the prereqs to take what they wanted.
y.

Bingo. My group and I all play a similar way: We let our character progression happen depending on what has happened in the game. We do not plan ahead more than a level. There are just so many things that could happen in the game to make me decide what way to go whenever we level. For example, in the HotDQ/RoT campaign, I played a shadow monk. I ended up taking 2 levels of warlock that I never pre-planned or had any intention of doing when I created my PC because the other fighter/warlock in the group like to cast darkness and then wade in and wreck havoc. Both of us having devil's sight (along with my shadow monk abilities) made us a great team*. This reason you just gave is a huge reason for my distaste of prestige classes. It all goes back to the system mastery thing (and even too much metagaming for my preferences).

*Up until he moved (taking darkness with him) without realizing I was the only party member left exposed to the enemy, so poor Kalek Jax got hit with more than a dozen poisoned arrows...

Remove ads