D&D 5E Prestige Classes in 5e: What do you want to see?

Aldarc

Legend
I also agree with those who suggested prestige classes as RP features, sort of like backgrounds for higher level characters. That would be interesting
I like this idea as well. Here's a background that provides some in-game benefits: e.g. a cantrip, a bonus spell per day, a magic item of the organization, a bonus skill, advantage on Charisma checks in X situation, etc.

Hathorym

Explorer
With the system designed as it is, I believe old school prestige class concept is anachronistic. Since each class gains archetype abilities at different points of advancement, a traditional prestige class would be untenable. This leads to an entry point requirement that is consistent throughout classes; the ASI/Feat levels. The only issue is that the entry point can only occur at ASI/feat levels. An alternative may be to allow a prestige feat to be taken at the DMs discretion, but only one may be taken at a time.

For lack of a better term, let's call them Prestige Feats. They would most likely, as others have suggested, be tied to a specific faction or organization. In my opinion, they could consist of a role-play mechanic, a starting mechanic and/or equipment, and a per level facet (which allows the benefit to increase the longer you are with the organization). So, utilizing an organization from my homebrew world, it may look something like this very basic example:

Member of the Platinum Order

You have gone through the entry requirements to become a member of the Platinum Order. You are to fight the good fight, have loyalty to whomever hires you, and not die.
  • Beginning when you take this prestige feat, you have advantage on any social check with members of the Platinum Order, and disadvantage with any social check with members of the Obsidian Brotherhood.
  • You also gain a Copper Dagger +1 which is the beginning rank for all new members. This dagger must be presented to gain the any Platinum Order office throughout the world. As you gain rank (and the requirements would be listed below using the outline from the DMG for ranks and factions, but just use your imagination for now), the metal and magic of your dagger is upgraded.
  • Finally, as you gain levels, and are a member of the Platinum Order in good standing, you add +1 to any damage roll against undead or Obsidian Brotherhood members. If you leave the Platinum Order, this benefit no longer advances.

I just saw this and it is excellent. It very well demonstrates a non-faction based prestige feat.

Master of the Netherworld
Prerequisites Charisma 11
You've found an answer to the deepest of mortal questions: "Where do we go when we die?" You've found that the answer isn't always something pleasant - infinite screaming hells and the oblivion of negative energy await most souls. You've dealt with the creatures who live there, who draw their powers from these dead worlds, and you've even bound some to your service. You command the respect of the inhabitants of this life of suffering beyond life. You gain the following benefits:

• You gain proficiency in one of the following skills of your choice: Arcana, Religion, or History
  • As an action, you can speak words of dark magic. Each undead and fiend that can see or hear you within 30 feet of you must make a Wisdom saving throw against a DC of 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier. If a creature fails its saving throw, it is charmed by you for 1 minute or until it takes any damage. Once you use this action, you must finish a short or long rest to use it again.
  • You learn to speak Abyssal and Infernal.

The final point is this: 5e doesn't have design room for prestige classes. Other mechanics will have to be utilized.

Last edited:

None. The subclasses already provide this as do the ability to take Feats to customize to a specific type (like the Deep Gnome-specific feat in OotA).

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
I'm not opposed to their never being any sort of official prestige classes in 5th edition. Their used to be two basic sorts of prestige classes - those that were mechanical in purpose, and those that hung in-character organizational association on mechanics - and both of those can be handled by other means in 5th edition. The mechanical sort of prestige classes can have their purpose delivered by a sub-class or a feat. The organizational association sort of prestige classes can have their purpose delivered by a background, a feat, or special options of features like maneuvers or spells that have a "members only" gate to them, if not being handled entirely by role-play.

That said, I'm not actually opposed to the prestige classes that got included in the 5th edition version of Onyx Path/Nocturnal's Scarred Lands Players Guide, because they stuck with 5th edition style presentation by labeling them as optional, and delivered them in a way that I feel is closer to "super feats" that you have to trade up 2-5 levels of items on your class feature list in order to gain the full effects of, than it is to actual classes. I figure, though, that I'll allow my players the option to take them and will basically never see anyone choose to do so, just like my group have not chosen to engage in multi-classing.

Remove ads