D&D 5E Preview of Eberron Rising!

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
The UA warforged is very overpowered. The new version is still strong, can now use any magic armor, and, as with the other races, is simplified.
The preview did not show any of the warforged "customization options" crawford mentioned a while back. They could have been lost behind the roll 20 interface though

I am a bit worried that the alchemist subclass is quite not on par with the other subclasses of the artificer. At level 5 they gain not a lot, just + int to damage, while the battelsmith gets extra attack and his pet can attack toowith a bonus action, and the artillerist has a magic gun in one hand, and in the other hand a wand that makes every spell deal +1d8 damage. Does not sound balanced to me.

The preview did not show any of the warforged "customization options" crawford mentioned a while back. They could have been lost behind the roll 20 interface though
He might have been refering to their ability to absorb any armour they find (that they are proficient in), or their extra skill and tool proficiencies.

collin

Explorer
I watched Part 1 of Adam Koebel's preview yesterday; ready to watch Part 2 today. I enjoy listening to him comment on certain aspects of published materials (even when I don't agree with his opinion).

So the gun for the Artillerist, is that a special gun, the there turret thing, or something new altogether?
It's two different things.

The first thing Artillerists get at Level 3 is an Eldritch Cannon -- basically the Arcane Turret from the UA but with the added option of deploying as a Tiny handheld object instead of a Small autonomous turret. Both the Tiny and the Small versions have the same options -- flamethrower (15 foot cone, Dex save, 2d8 fire damage, save for half), force ballista (attack roll, 2d8 force damage), and protection field (1d8+INT Temp HP to all allies within 10 feet of you). The Small version is for when your hands are full with wand+shield or if you're holding a point, since it can only move 15 feet on its turn; the Tiny version is if you need to move more than 15 feet per round and you want to take it with you. You can deploy two Cannons at once at Level 15.

The second thing they get at Level 5 is the (perhaps inappropriately named) Arcane Firearm. This feature lets you take a wand, rod, or staff and inscribe sigils into it to convert it into your Arcane Firearm. While active, using the Firearm as your spellcasting focus lets you add an extra d8 to one damage roll of any damaging spell you cast.

Remove ads