D&D 5E Products You Would Like to See WotC Publish For 5E

What Products Should WotC Publish for 5E?

• Big Fat Campaign Settings (ex:FRCS)

Votes: 71 58.7%
  • Small Campaign Setting Gazateers (ex:The Dalelands)

Votes: 51 42.1%
  • Big Fat Player Oriented Rules Option Books (ex: PHB2)

Votes: 32 26.4%
  • Smaller (targetted) Player Oriented Rules Option Books (ex:Sword & Fist)

Votes: 36 29.8%
  • Full Sized Adventure Paths (ex:HotDQ)

Votes: 38 31.4%
  • Smaller Modules (ex:Forge of Fury)

Votes: 70 57.9%
  • DRAGON Magazine

Votes: 54 44.6%
  • DUNGEON Magazine

Votes: 67 55.4%
  • Big Fat DM Oriented Rules Books (ex: DMG 2)

Votes: 26 21.5%
  • Focused DM Oriented Books (ex:Dungeonscape)

Votes: 34 28.1%
  • Additional Monster Manuals

Votes: 64 52.9%
  • Monster Focus Books (ex:Draconomicon)

Votes: 21 17.4%
  • Setting Specific Monster Books (ex:Monsters of Faerun)

Votes: 17 14.0%
  • Genre Mashing Books (ex:Heroes of Horror)

Votes: 18 14.9%
  • Edition "Style" Oriented Books (ex:"Grognard's Guide to Old School D&D")

Votes: 19 15.7%
  • Nothing

Votes: 2 1.7%

rosing-bull

First Post
I just want campaign setting books and more adventures like Murder in Baldur's Gate and Legend of the Crystal Shard, where we get a brief adventure book and a more fleshed-out book on the setting/region. Also the unique DM screens that came with them were fun. I don't want no big "Adventure Paths." Get back towards smaller adventures and sandboxes!

And new monsters! With interesting story hooks! Story hooks for everything!

I really enjoyed the Frostburn/Stormwreck/Sandstorm/etc series from 3.5, and I would absolutely love seeing something like that in 5e. Focused enough to provide intriguing new mechanics and material, broad enough to be used with almost no extra tinkering.

Setting-wise, seeing a big fat Planescape book would make me a happy man, though perhaps it would be better to keep that to Unearthed Arcana adaptations (so as to not alter the canon too much) and instead publish a Manual of the Planes to further explore the new cosmology (I prefer Planescape's, but 5e base cosmology is very intriguing on its own).

Also, I'd be thrilled with a big book of backgrounds and class specialties.

Pibby

First Post
Definitely would like more player options, ideas for DMs, and more monsters. I'm not sure if I'm the minority (ignoring current poll results) but I personally dislike it when resources are spent making premade campaign material and DM options. The former because I personally don't care too much for premades since most of the time they end up being Beer & Pretzel campaigns, which I loathe when done a lot. The latter because I didn't like some rules for running a game from previous editions (drowning people to save them? really guys). Even though all non core rules are optional I know of people who will follow and read all of them because they feel like they have to abide by published material. Recalling such rules can also potentially slow down games at tables. Ideas for DMs to consider I don't mind, but anything that can potentially come in a hardcover book seems too authoritative even if it isn't meant to be.

Tormyr

Hero
I clicked several options, but I really want to see their idea for a 5e Spelljammer. Unearthed Arcana might be sufficient to cover the majority of what would be needed to run a Spelljammer campaign.

delericho

Legend
The full answer: all of the above.

The minimal answer: an Eberron campaign setting (that converts everything to the latest edition) plus Dragon and Dungeon magazines (PDF is fine).

The middle-of-the-road answer: the setting and magazines, plus adventures of all sorts and the "Edition style" books.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Personally, I want:

1. Short generic adventures. I enjoy creating campaign settings and NPCs, and I like running the game. But putting together whole adventures is a PITA. I'd like some short, generic adventures I can just drop-in to my campaign with minimal prep. For example, some of the DDEX adventures work for this, as do many of the old Dungeon magazine adventures.
2. Game-changing supplements. Psionics, Oriental Adventures, Manual of the Planes, Heroes of Horror -- these all take the game in some new direction, and are interesting. PHB2, Complete Warrior, Big Book o' Spells -- these are all just "more of the same" and boor me to tears.

Mantriel

Explorer
I really enjoyed the monster-focused books from 3.5: Lords of Madness, Libris Mortis, Drow of the Underdark. I'd like to see similarly background-heavy monster books 5E.

I really enjoyed the Frostburn/Stormwreck/Sandstorm/etc series from 3.5, and I would absolutely love seeing something like that in 5e.

Those two.

And player books centered on a class, for example: a book only about Fighting Monks, a book only about Clerics etc. with Forgotten Realms and Eberron examples.

YourSwordIsMine

First Post
Setting Box sets (i.e. Forgotten Realms Grey Box/Greyhawk Gold Box)
Area Specific Gazetteers (Known World Gazetteer Series)
Wall Maps (Greyhawk Map, Known World Map Folios) (They really need to return to these. They are amazing for inspiration and are just completely awesome)
Sandbox Modules (Keep on the Borderlands)

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
I want richly detailed campaign setting books, monster books like the Draconomicon and Book of Aberrations, and one or more books focused on campaign style, like Heroes of Battle.

I have other ideas I'll post later.

Remove ads