• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Proficiency Bonus, Fighters & Damage

ThePolarBear

First Post
I'm not following the math provided, but generally monks are a bit underpowered.
I do not understand this statement. You mean that, even without looking at the math, you think monks are underpowered?

2d6(average 8.33 due to GWF)+15 each time, with 39 (one bonus attack from GWM on average in the 28 attacks on the fighter's turn) attacks and an additional 10d8 superiority damage. Versus AC 15, that is about 310 damage.

Unless i'm really tired and can't do math... no? Even discounting critical hits and assuming he can get its bonus action each turn a Fighter hitting at 45% (+3 to hit, ac 15 -> 12+ on a d20, that's 9 useful results.) does {(8.33+15)*[(24*2)+24+4]}*0.45+(10*4.5). That's about 843 damage.

This is without extra damage from critical hits, w/o using precision attack when appropriate (but assuming there will be at least 10 hits, so battlemaster damage is not reduced), not counting that 2 consecutive misses in a round = 3 misses, since no death = no GWM... w/o a concrete situation, really.

The monk gets multi-attack, a d6 weapon,

The monk gets Extra Attack and a d8 weapon (Quarterstaff 2 handed.). Even if two-handing a quarterstaff you do not lose access to any monk ability since the quarterstaff still hasn't the two handed propriety.

and 16 flurries for 2 attacks each.
To which we add another 8 unarmed attacks due to the "Martial Arts" feature when the monk runs out of Ki.

That is +8 to hit for: 48 1d8+5 attacks + another 40 1d6+5 attacks. At 15 AC, it means that there's a 70% to hit, with the above restrictions, so {(4.5+5)*48+(3.5+5)*40}*0.70. That is about 557 damage.

Then again, no crits, no monastic tradition, no stunning strike (that would give advantage to EVERY attack if not saved against), not a realistic situation. But at least this is consistent since it does not require conditions that might not happen. [edit] At least in regards to having more attacks. Attacking each turn with enough enemies around etc etc are conditions that might not happen :D

And disregarding that damage is not the only thing.

Last edited:

Remove ads