Proposal: Warlock At-Wills

elecgraystone

First Post
This Lord Sessadore

Allow warlocks to choose two at-wills from the following: Eldritch Blast, Eldritch Strike, their pact power. This way they have some choice, but they can't grab powers from other pacts (unless they're human). They can just choose among their pact power and the two generic ones.

garyh

First Post
This Lord Sessadore

Allow warlocks to choose two at-wills from the following: Eldritch Blast, Eldritch Strike, their pact power. This way they have some choice, but they can't grab powers from other pacts (unless they're human). They can just choose among their pact power and the two generic ones.

Yes to that.

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
This Lord Sessadore

Works for me, I guess. YES.

covaithe

Explorer
NO. Sorry, I just really dislike messing with the basic mechanism of the class like this. It looks like you may have the votes to get by anyway.

elecgraystone

First Post
No need to say sorry covaithe. I knew there would some people that wanted to keep things as is and I understand how you feel. For the most part, I'm happy with most thing as is from WOTC. This is one area however that I always house-rule in my real life game.

Call it a pet peeve if you will, but it irks me. For the life of me I can't find a single mechanical reason warlocks can't retrain at-wills and the fluff is 100% changeable [see arcane quote above]. It's not like my patron can't give me another at will because he can give another one to humans. :hmm:

LOL Don't let me get started again. As I said, don't worry about voting no. :)

elecgraystone

First Post
Infernal patron + blood sacrifice = extra at-will? Maybe I should try. Why don't come a little closer. ;)

You do know if I keep hearing about your Vampiric Embrace success, I will have to hunt you down. :p

Atanatotatos

First Post
I'm here, I'm here. And this round you got some extra damage out of Dire radiance too, didn't you? ;)
Ultimately, the disadvantage of these powers is that they depend on how the DM plays the bad guys. If he plays them too smart all the time, assessing the correct choice to make, they're going to suck. Otherwise... they can rock, if you use them wisely.
Oh, and those temporary hp have been saving Haruka's butt repeteadly so they can't be that bad. That, too, depends on style of play. If you play it safe and stay in the back you wo't get much out of the infernal pact boon, 'cause temp hp don't stack, but if you're constantly getting hit, then you'll be happy about your choice. Which also means an infernal warlock has better chances of profiting from his Prime Strike feature.

Oh, and about the proposal... I agree with Cov, so, sorry, but NO!

elecgraystone

First Post
I'm here, I'm here. And this round you got some extra damage out of Dire radiance too, didn't you? ;)
Not me. If I had dire radiance, you wouldn't hear a complaint from me! Dire radiance is a useful at will.

Ultimately, the disadvantage of these powers is that they depend on how the DM plays the bad guys. If he plays them too smart all the time, assessing the correct choice to make, they're going to suck. Otherwise... they can rock, if you use them wisely.
This hadn't panned out with hellish rebuke. I've played a few infernal warlocks, some with new Dm's and some with experienced. I only got the extra damage a few times and it wasn't worth it since I had to provoke more damage than it dealt to my enemy.

If you play it safe and stay in the back you wo't get much out of the infernal pact boon, 'cause temp hp don't stack, but if you're constantly getting hit, then you'll be happy about your choice. Which also means an infernal warlock has better chances of profiting from his Prime Strike feature.
I'm happy with infernal, it's hellish rebuke. Bringing up non-stacking was because someone asked how the pacts stacked up to each other. It's not the most powerful and it really does have a crappy at-will.

Oh, and about the proposal... I agree with Cov, so, sorry, but NO!
Well I have to admit that's disappointing. I can't see leaving myself weaker in ranged combat to give myself a melee attack. Losing eldritch blast means in my experience 95% of the time you deal JUST a d6 vs a d10. *shrug* Melee training for me. I really did want to try out the new power.

Last edited:

Remove ads