Proposed Character Sheet

HRSegovia

Explorer
Actually, that would be freakin AWESOME if they moved! But they don't...

The purpose to the two main boxes "obscuring" is because they are the two main groups used most often. Bringing them to the foreground makes better use of space and easier referenced. The stuff in the background is primarily just "notes" of sorts. For example, while it looks like there is a "Profile" card hidden behind the "Abilities, Languages, & Proficiencies" one, the exposed spaces really only require less information. In a "two-dimentional" layout, those boxes would be smaller anyway (and besides, it's just a character profile). The "Feats, Features, & Ability Increases" may seem terribly important, when in fact, the information is actually mild by comparison to combat and not referenced as often. Much of what they do is actually covered in the "Arms, Armor, & Combat" area. This optimizes space, simplifies referencing and just all around looks aesthetically pleasing. However, the fact that you bring it up tells me that either; viewing it on your device is altering your perception of the sheet as opposed to printed on paper OR this is an issue that needs to be considered. However, you have inspired me. While I do not have Acrobat to convert the InDesign PDF to Form-Fillable, I'm going to see if I can make the top two boxes pose-able.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Oh, I see! I do love it when character sheets do something different! Sorry it took me a bit to grasp where you were going with it, but I get it now. I'll try printing one out tomorrow and see how it looks/feels on paper.

jeffh

Adventurer
I think a character sheet should never, never, assume that every campaign uses all and only the default skills, spells, classes or feats. The spell list might be a useful handout in its own right but I don't think it's appropriate for a character sheet specifically. I'd rather have space to fill in the information for the spells a specific character actually knows. You clearly understand the value of leaving certain things somewhat free-form, I'm not sure why you applied the polar opposite of that philosophy in the case of spells.

I do like the floating boxes. Like Morrus, I didn't immediately "grok" what you were doing with them - that is, of course, the risk of trying something different - but it only took me a few seconds to get it, and once I did, I liked it immediately.

HRSegovia

Explorer
I felt the same way, Jeff, concerning the spells. In my first iteration of the sheet there was a spells section (where you currently see the Gear and Money) which contained the box you see in page two and then a freeform box dropping all the way to the bottom of the page so you can note your spells however you wish. It received much criticism in that there was not enough room (particularly for higher levels). I fought it for a while with my local gamers as well, but everyone I encountered seemed to love the freeform style, but flip their opinion when it came to magic. What you currently see is a result of me caving-in. It's worked so far. You're the first (other than I) to complain about the current iteration of the spellbook. I could, perhaps, leave the spell sheet as is and just delete the list with one-big-open-space (Perhaps some headings to organize it, but that's it). Do you think this would help?

I went with "less is more" which agrees with my original concept of freeform boxes and I think I accomplished it in a manner that makes everyone happy: Freeform, more room, completely separate from the front. I have, however, removed the notes section altogether.

(links removed, see further down the thread)

Last edited:

HRSegovia

Explorer
This is the "finalized" sheet (someone is working on making it form-fillable for me.
I also included 3 sample characters to show you how it should be used (and how it looks).

Last edited:

jeffh

Adventurer
Surprised that you got such negative reactions to that earlier draft, HR. I for one would be interested in seeing it.

Maybe those folks were conflating "useful as a handout in its own right" (which I readily concede the spell list part is) with "appropriate for a character sheet"? Or, my preferences may just not be as widely shared as I would have thought - heaven knows it wouldn't be the first time.

HRSegovia

Explorer
I kinda temporarily retrofitted the box back in just so you can see what it looked like. The Combat and Proficiencies boxes didn't look quite so refined, but you can tell what it looked like with the spellbook. The Gear was in the back with a notes box as well. There's some edit errors in there (such as the line across the bottom of the spellbook and the missing "slots" box - it also doesn't have the hexagons I added later bordering the levels, but you get the idea what it looked like.

Last edited:

HRSegovia

Explorer
So I fixed a blatant error and made the whole thing form fillable! I'm calling it DONE!

Last edited:

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
Wait! Um, I mean, I have some feedback.

I prefer the version of the attack boxes that have spaces for the formula (to hit = ability mod + proficiency bonus + misc mod). Even my players who have been playtesting since the beginning keep forgetting how to calculate their attack bonus. (Maybe even color-code the prof bonus so they know what gets better when that advances.)

Also: I really like the window design, but have you considered more of a "scrolls of parchment" thing, rather than a "Windows 7 / Mac OS X" thing? It's kind of harshing my fantasy vibe.

Minor nitpicks:
I don't see a place for speed.
Why is there a little "Alert +5" in the Initiative box?

Last edited:

HRSegovia

Explorer
- The speed is next to size in the Profile box.
- Alert is a feat that gives you +5 to Initiative (Used to be called Improved Initiative) In the version above, you do not see a check box for it. that's been fixed.
- I had the boxes there but found that using them kinda strayed from the freeform box concept a little too much. If it bothers, the open box concept allows you room to write a note and remind yourself to add it, or add it in when you write your total in the box and then you don't have to worry about it anymore.
Find it in the Character Sheets page.

Last edited:

Remove ads