D&D (2024) Pulse check on 1D&D excitement level

What is your level of excitement for 1D&D?

• Very High - I love the direction 1D&D is going, the playtest will only make it better

Votes: 16 6.8%
  • High - Mostly the right direction and feels like the playtest will result in a product I like

Votes: 48 20.3%
  • Meh - It's different, but not exciting, let's see where it goes from here

Votes: 85 35.9%
  • Low - Mostly the wrong direction for me, but hopeful the playtest will improve it

Votes: 22 9.3%
  • Very Low - Mostly the wrong direction for me, and doubtful the playtest will improve it

Votes: 66 27.8%

• Poll closed .

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
If you have no complaints, then you have nothing to post about.

Satisfied people are quiet people. And a room of 100 quiet people sounds the same as a room of 100,000 quiet people.
+1

"What I'm reading on Internet forums" is never, ever, ever a bellwether for what most people actually think.

Imagine how many clicks you'd get on YouTube if all you did was vlog about how everything is fine as it is.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
If you have no complaints, then you have nothing to post about.

Satisfied people are quiet people. And a room of 100 quiet people sounds the same as a room of 100,000 quiet people.
Tell that to the Pathfinder 2nd Edition verse.

PF2E is clearly in its vocal honeymooner stage in my experience.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Oh, we do play (have played) 5e and it works, including with my 6 year old (who plays a wolf accompanying the PCs). I guess I shouldn't have said "too much" for them. It's more that the whole RPG thing is so new and exciting that they don't need a lot of options to have fun. With a more streamlined game like FTD we spend more time actually adventuring.

Veterans may gripe about the Fighter having no option other than "I attack" but in my experience, 8 year olds playing D&D for the first time LOVE saying "I attack!" and see nothing wrong with it.

We also played Hero kids, which has even fewer options (spellcasting PCs literally have one spell) they were totally thrilled.
I have kids I'm getting into RPGs too, so I get the joy of introducing children to the hobby. But the great thing about D&D is that you can choose how complex you want the game to be. There's no reason 5e has to redesigned for 8 year olds. They're smart enough to handle it with a little guidance, and pushing simplicity will likely turn off a good chunk of the existing crowd.

Incenjucar

Legend
You can also just make simpler versions of each archetype, and provide more complex ones for those who prefer it. I would fall asleep playing the 4E slayer as my main instead of a fighter, BUT I did keep it and an elementalist handy for days when we only had three players (so someone could double up) or when someone wasn't feeling 100% that day and wanted a break from their usual PCs.

The whole spectrum has value, and they all stand to be a good time for someone.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Oh, we do play (have played) 5e and it works, including with my 6 year old (who plays a wolf accompanying the PCs). I guess I shouldn't have said "too much" for them. It's more that the whole RPG thing is so new and exciting that they don't need a lot of options to have fun. With a more streamlined game like FTD we spend more time actually adventuring.

Veterans may gripe about the Fighter having no option other than "I attack" but in my experience, 8 year olds playing D&D for the first time LOVE saying "I attack!" and see nothing wrong with it.

We also played Hero kids, which has even fewer options (spellcasting PCs literally have one spell) they were totally thrilled.
The bold is the issue.

An 8 year whose 1st game was in 2018 is now a 13 year old with 4-5 years experience in 2023.

So the same person who was okay with a basic dwarf champion fighter who just "I Attack" 4 years ago might want to run a rhino-man fireblade fighter who uses Adamant Mountain maneuvers. Or they might want to be a simple elf markself fighter and want clear simple rules that they can improvise different bow shots with their DM.

D&D 5e is now 9.5 years old. A lot of its fans are experienced with the game and both knowledgeable and confident to talk about it. Your now going to build hype on a 10 year old game unless you either choose a lane, offer everything within the range, or rebuild with major changes.

Bill Zebub

The bold is the issue.

An 8 year whose 1st game was in 2018 is now a 13 year old with 4-5 years experience in 2023.

So the same person who was okay with a basic dwarf champion fighter who just "I Attack" 4 years ago might want to run a rhino-man fireblade fighter who uses Adamant Mountain maneuvers. Or they might want to be a simple elf markself fighter and want clear simple rules that they can improvise different bow shots with their DM.

D&D 5e is now 9.5 years old. A lot of its fans are experienced with the game and both knowledgeable and confident to talk about it. Your now going to build hype on a 10 year old game unless you either choose a lane, offer everything within the range, or rebuild with major changes.

Or don't just play the same RPG year after year after year.

There are so many great RPGs out there. By the time my kids are in their early teens I HOPE we are not still playing the same RPG we are playing now.

Bill Zebub

They're smart enough to handle it with a little guidance

Sure, it's just a question of how much time I want to spend explaining things vs. just playing the game.

and pushing simplicity will likely turn off a good chunk of the existing crowd.

Maybe, but that horse has left the barn. WotC is going for simple. I don't understand the goal of constantly complaining about it. Catharsis?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Or don't just play the same RPG year after year after year.

There are so many great RPGs out there. By the time my kids are in their early teens I HOPE we are not still playing the same RPG we are playing now.
That's fine for a person.

It's terrible for a RPG game company if you design a game that a ton of your customers abandon your product once they learn the game.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Sure, it's just a question of how much time I want to spend explaining things vs. just playing the game.

Maybe, but that horse has left the barn. WotC is going for simple. I don't understand the goal of constantly complaining about it. Catharsis?
I spent 35 years heavily invested in a game that cumulated in something that in recent years has deeply disappointed and saddened me. I guess catharsis is as good an explanation for venting my pain as any.

Remove ads