D&D (2024) Pulse check on 1D&D excitement level

What is your level of excitement for 1D&D?

• Very High - I love the direction 1D&D is going, the playtest will only make it better

Votes: 16 6.8%
  • High - Mostly the right direction and feels like the playtest will result in a product I like

Votes: 48 20.3%
  • Meh - It's different, but not exciting, let's see where it goes from here

Votes: 85 35.9%
  • Low - Mostly the wrong direction for me, but hopeful the playtest will improve it

Votes: 22 9.3%
  • Very Low - Mostly the wrong direction for me, and doubtful the playtest will improve it

Votes: 66 27.8%

• Poll closed .

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
That's an interesting take.

I'm a veteran player, and I'm not looking for a system to "grip" me. I'm looking for great adventures and great DMing and great storytelling to grip me. I just need a lightweight, flexible system that allows that. 5e does, for the most part, although it has rough edges that are starting to annoy me.

Like I said upthread, I'm actually moving toward simpler RPGs.
Well isn't that my point.

5e isn't simple. It's too simple for those who want complex. It's too complex for those who want simple.

Being in the middle complexity with open spots is great at the start. But once you aren't a new person to TTRPGs, you realize the middlegrund is too hardcoded to shift either way greatly.

Last edited:

Clint_L

Hero
I'll take a contrarian view. (I know, surprise, right?). I've been drifting away from 5e because, well, I've been playing it for, what, nine years now. But I'm cautiously optimistic about One D&D. Sure, some of the playtest stuff is a mistake, but they are mistakes that suggests some design goals of which I approve.

I also run games for kids, and I've been switching them over to Five Torches Deep because 5e is just too much...too many rules, too many options...for these kids. (I may be working with younger kids; my groups are mostly 4th to 8th grade.).

One middle school D&D club (my own child is in this group) asked me to take over as DM because the kid who was doing it was struggling to herd the cats. I ran one session of FTD and they immediately ran out and bought it and are HUGE fans now.

So, yeah, if WotC wants me (us) to come back they're going to have to impress us.
The youngest I work with is 6th grade.

Were you running D&D through DDB? I've found it to be an invaluable tool both for the kids and for me to keep track of all the campaigns and characters.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
5e isn't simple. It's too simple for those who want complex. It's too complex for those who want simple.

Being in the middle complexity with open spots is great at the start. But once you aren't a new person to TTRPGs, you realize the middlegrund is too hardcoded to shift either way greatly.

Is that what you experienced yourself, or are you theorizing that this is what's going on for masses of other people? D&D is awfully darned popular so I'm skeptical of a claim that it's not in most people's sweet spot.

You keep making these broad generalizations about other people who aren't here. I'm genuinely interested in what you (and others here) personally like and don't like, and why, and what you/they would like instead, and ideas for how to implement it. But, speaking for myself, I dismiss out of hand sweeping conjecture about what other people want.

Clint_L

Hero
Is that what you experienced yourself, or are you theorizing that this is what's going on for masses of other people? D&D is awfully darned popular so I'm skeptical of a claim that it's not in most people's sweet spot.
This. It's easy to project our own perspective and biases, but facts matter. Especially to the folks with skin in the game. If you're running a WotC/Hasbro and you've finally got what, by any objective measure, is an extremely popular version of D&D, why would you want to make big changes? You're not going to please everyone, and if you start making those big changes, you are much more likely to lose more people than you gain.

You don't want to kill the goose that laid the golden egg. You want to make that bird as comfortable as possible.

Clint_L

Hero
It’s an “overwrite” to 5e, it’s not really providing new stuff, just the old stuff reimagined. So if you don’t like the new flavor…why would you buy it?
You wouldn't. It's not for you. That's fine. No version of the game is going to work for everyone.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Well isn't that my point.

I'm definitely not new to TTRPGs, and 5e is my jam. I don't need anything more complex or less so.

It’s an “overwrite” to 5e, it’s not really providing new stuff, just the old stuff reimagined. So if you don’t like the new flavor…why would you buy it?
Sure, just like why would you buy a book of new classes and races if you didn’t like those classes and races.

I don’t see it as an overwrite myself. Just more options. You can, and we have, played with ‘14 classes and playtest classes at the same table. So they need not be thought of as an “overwrite” as you say.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Sure, just like why would you buy a book of new classes and races if you didn’t like those classes and races.

I don’t see it as an overwrite myself. Just more options. You can, and we have, played with ‘14 classes and playtest classes at the same table. So they need not be thought of as an “overwrite” as you say.
If it weren't an overwrite, they would market it as a supplement and not a replacement, and they would give the 2024 classes different names.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases