D&D (2024) Pulse check on 1D&D excitement level

What is your level of excitement for 1D&D?

• Very High - I love the direction 1D&D is going, the playtest will only make it better

Votes: 16 6.8%
  • High - Mostly the right direction and feels like the playtest will result in a product I like

Votes: 48 20.3%
  • Meh - It's different, but not exciting, let's see where it goes from here

Votes: 85 35.9%
  • Low - Mostly the wrong direction for me, but hopeful the playtest will improve it

Votes: 22 9.3%
  • Very Low - Mostly the wrong direction for me, and doubtful the playtest will improve it

Votes: 66 27.8%

• Poll closed .

My point is that it is possible that some of 5e's popularity today is not fully due to its mechanics.

5e can be popular and a lot of 5e fans not being in love with a lot of its mechanics can both be true.

Especially since a lot of 5e players tend to be new, not knowing about other games, and not participating in the original playtest.
5E isn't about the rules. It's about the DM. 5E is like tofu; it's there to absorb the flavor the DM provides. It's far more successful then the "tyranny of fun" 4E wanted to impose on players.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
5E isn't about the rules. It's about the DM. 5E is like tofu; it's there to absorb the flavor the DM provides. It's far more successful then the "tyranny of fun" 4E wanted to impose on players.
5e is about DM making rules about the middle. The fans might not like the base.

The fans might want chicken over tofu. You can put bbq sauce on both.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Maybe instead of explaining that the material is optional, it should be called unofficial.

They should start their own “Unofficial D&D” indie publishing label and launch everything on Kickstarter.

The best stuff can then eventually be adopted as official with no IP drama.

Bill Zebub

I am going to venture what might be an unpopular opinion on this forum, but one that I think a lot of people who don't eat and breathe games might share: WotC should not tinker with the game too much.

I'll take a contrarian view. (I know, surprise, right?). I've been drifting away from 5e because, well, I've been playing it for, what, nine years now. But I'm cautiously optimistic about One D&D. Sure, some of the playtest stuff is a mistake, but they are mistakes that suggests some design goals of which I approve.

Because so much of my play is with new players (teacher who runs new beginner campaigns all the time at my school), it is really valuable to me that the game remain consistent. I don't want to be teaching a new version of the game to different groups, and I want the kids to be able to leave my beginner campaigns and blend together to form their own campaigns. That is much easier if we are all working from a common denominator.

I also run games for kids, and I've been switching them over to Five Torches Deep because 5e is just too much...too many rules, too many options...for these kids. (I may be working with younger kids; my groups are mostly 4th to 8th grade.).

One middle school D&D club (my own child is in this group) asked me to take over as DM because the kid who was doing it was struggling to herd the cats. I ran one session of FTD and they immediately ran out and bought it and are HUGE fans now.

So, yeah, if WotC wants me (us) to come back they're going to have to impress us.

Bill Zebub

Shadowdark is interesting because it’s from a first time publisher and looks to becoming more successful than LevelUp! So clearly there’s an audience for a simplified 5e too.

How did I miss Shadowdark!?!?! And it's written by Kelsey Dionne! OMG.

I just downloaded the free starter set. I am SO backing this KS. (Sorry, Five Torches Deep.)

Remove ads