QR codes in books?

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
Saw your post on Facebook and thought I'd come out of lurk mode to chime in. This is a fascinating topic. I've only skimmed the thread thus far, so pardon me if I duplicate something already said.

QR codes seem to be everywhere these days. I've seen them on the backs of cars, and even on ketchup bottles. When was the last time you read a ketchup bottle? There are any number of uses for them, from giving a link to your website, to your Facebook page, to a coupon code. I would like to think, though, that we in the RPG industry can do better.

Imagine if you buy a physical copy of a book, and the QR code takes you to a PDF download of the book. Or maybe to exclusive bonus content or content that was left on the editing room floor due to space. Or maybe to a preview of the next product in the product line.

Wait, we're creative folks. Let's do better still.

How about exclusive videos showcasing the world, setting, or rules? How about creator interviews? Music downloads, where customers can download the soundtrack to your game.

Yes, they look kind of funny, but there are ways to integrate a QR code into the design of your product.

So yes, I absolutely support the use of QR codes in RPG products - if used wisely. We live in a world of multi-media. Let's embrace that.

DLIMedia

David Flor, Darklight Interactive
How about exclusive videos showcasing the world, setting, or rules? How about creator interviews? Music downloads, where customers can download the soundtrack to your game.

See, that's the thing: Although everything you describe is a great idea...

1) There are considerable production requirements to create such content, especially video.

2) All that content has to be in place before the product is printed and distributed, because the permanent links you will include in the product are permanent and have to go somewhere upon launch.

I've considered using it for the following:
  • Pre-generated characters: Perhaps one code per class write-up or one code that contains them all.
  • Digital map: A high resolution, printable version of the game map.
  • Extended Bestiary: For certain monsters, an expanded write-up on them which includes more lore, more variants, etc...
  • Equipment: Additional equipment options, so as not to bloat the core book with thousands of special equipment or magic items.
  • Sample Adventure: a PDF version of *only* the introductory adventure that is included at the end of the book, so that it can be provided in a more portable format and not part of the 300 page core book. This version could also include maps and pre-generated characters specific for the adventure, and could arguably serve as a "quick start" adventure on its own.

But one thing is important: none of the content provided should be required to run the game. If you have the ability to see QR codes or URLs (I would link the digital PDF to the URL as well) you can benefit from it, but your gaming experience should not be inferior if you can't.

I ask the question: OK, let's say that you can't use QR codes. Is their presence such an aversion that it would make you think less of the product that contains them?

delericho

Legend
(Edit - I can see where my perception came from. A little research tells me smartphone adoption here in the UK is 75%, and 50% of people have tablets - and the demographic I usually interact with is likely closer to 90%+; so I'm in an environment where I just don't come across people without smartphones, which is why I thought it so strange and alien).

Yep. There are a couple of reasons why Europe is somewhat ahead of the States when it comes to mobile phone technology - largely because our standards bodies got their acts together faster, and partly because we were able to skip some of the dead-ends in installing infrastructure that they hit over there.

(Similarly, we're ahead on things like chip-n-pin and contactless payment. There are, of course, other areas where the US is ahead.)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Wait, we're creative folks. Let's do better still.

For example, videos like this which correspond to flavour text - quick snap with your phone and you're watching it a half-second later.

[video=youtube;GuB5p-LeT9A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuB5p-LeT9A&list=UUaZ7ByBXPqZRg-Q-J-_0YEA[/video]

Eccles

Ragged idiot in a trilby.
For my two pence, then (a) there ought to be a link to a resources webpage somewhere in the book. If that's accompanied by a qr code, fine. I have a smart-ish phone and a tablet, and have no qr code reader on either. Probably something to do with bandwidths and the tablet not having anything more than WiFi capability.

(B) there is already technology to recognise photographs; it's one of the underlying bits of augmented reality software (which I also don't use at present, but would love to try). I don't think it'll be long before you can just snap the picture from, or cover of the book and it'll take you to either the site or a Google search page.

Vaslov

Explorer
I think publishers need to be careful about dipping into mix media like this. As mentioned above you might be fragmenting your market further unintentionally as this is a turn off for some as has been noted by others. That said there are some very cool things you can do and I'd like to see more RPG publishers experiment with this.

I work in a field where I send large retiree populations large amounts of written materials. This is a population that generally has a reputation of not embracing technology. That said we have still embraced using mixed media to augment what we send them and do hear positive feedback from those that embrace it.

I have been amazed to find out how much data you can store in one of those little boxes. Some of them can do very amazing things with a smart phone. Some of it does not even need an internet connection which could be a big selling point for those who live in remote locations without many service options. If everything is on the page it also may help the book retain value as websites generally have a reputation for short life spans.

Look into Augmented Reality websites to find technical experts which might give you some new ideas. Some AR examples below. I have no affiliation with either of these vendors.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?353999-Art-Augmented-Reality

http://www.marxentlabs.com/mobile-a...p-developer/?gclid=CIid-o77y70CFa07MgodkjAAbw

Good luck and keep pushing the field forward Morrus!

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
See, that's the thing: Although everything you describe is a great idea...

1) There are considerable production requirements to create such content, especially video.

Check out the video that Morrus posted. That's what I'm thinking of. Not anything more than the videos we have seen with the various RPG Kickstarters. I know that most companies, with the exception of WotC and Paizo, don't have the budget or resources to do any more. And that's okay! We don't have to get fancy here. A simple video from a cell phone would work just as well for creator interviews.

2) All that content has to be in place before the product is printed and distributed, because the permanent links you will include in the product are permanent and have to go somewhere upon launch.

Absolutely, and that will take a little more time and effort. However, consider that you're not selling a book; you're selling an experience.

I've considered using it for the following:
  • Pre-generated characters: Perhaps one code per class write-up or one code that contains them all.
  • Digital map: A high resolution, printable version of the game map.
  • Extended Bestiary: For certain monsters, an expanded write-up on them which includes more lore, more variants, etc...
  • Equipment: Additional equipment options, so as not to bloat the core book with thousands of special equipment or magic items.
  • Sample Adventure: a PDF version of *only* the introductory adventure that is included at the end of the book, so that it can be provided in a more portable format and not part of the 300 page core book. This version could also include maps and pre-generated characters specific for the adventure, and could arguably serve as a "quick start" adventure on its own.

All are fabulous ideas!

But one thing is important: none of the content provided should be required to run the game. If you have the ability to see QR codes or URLs (I would link the digital PDF to the URL as well) you can benefit from it, but your gaming experience should not be inferior if you can't.

Agreed. Any QR code content must be bonus materials. Those without smart phones or who are generally not into that whole thing should not need anything more than the book to run the game. The QR code is kind of a reward for taking that extra step.

J.C. Hutchins incorporated such techniques in his novel Personal Effects: Dark Art. The novel contained phone numbers that you could actually call and websites that actually exist to give you an enhanced experience. Plus, lots of tactile items in an envelope in the inside cover. It was pure genius.

I ask the question: OK, let's say that you can't use QR codes. Is their presence such an aversion that it would make you think less of the product that contains them?

It all depends on the end user. We are in an industry with a wide and varied fan base. Some of us are big into technology, some aren't. I see them as something to explore. Others might see them as an annoying marketing tactic.

I would say that they need to be somewhere on the inside, in an area (table of contents, or an ad page?) where it won't detract from the overall experience.

Matchstick

Adventurer
I don't know that I think QR would be right for a DM Guide or in depth rules, but I can absolutely see them as useful in a quickstart or how-to-play type of guide. Talk about making characters and then link to pre-mades and/or a generator and/or a video showing character creation. Same with combat, with possibly multiple links to show off different combat situations. Or any other basic facets where extra information or examples would be nice to have. I would use QR or links for sure in that kind of a situation.

Jhaelen

First Post
How many folks would visit links on websites if they had to type them in rather than click on them? I suspect very few.
Well, I'm the opposite. TBH, I never got the point of QR codes. I want to know where I will end up. Just like I don't just click on any link I'm not interested in ending up 'somewhere' after scanning a QR code, not to mention the bother of having to scan the damn thing with the help of a suitable app.

So, yeah, I always ignore QR codes.*

*: Well, I once installed a QR scanner app because I was both a bit curious and a customer(!) asked me if I had followed the link he had included in his email(!). As mentioned - I fail to see the point, particularly in an email. Just give me the (written) link.

Jhaelen

First Post
Thing is, when you look at the following URLs, they're not exactly all "type-in friendly".

As I said earlier, if you saw these URLS on a web page and had to type them in rather than click on them, would you?
If I was interested in what they're supposed to lead to, I would.
However, if you want an URL that is 'type-friendly', why don't you just create one? You don't have to supply URLs that are hard to type and contain a bazillion of cryptic parameters. For this kind of thing it makes sense to provide a link that is easy to type.

Remove ads