• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Quarterstaff and Sling wielding character

exile

First Post
Alright, two of the most often replied to threads that I have ever started here on ENWorld have been about character optimization, so here's another one...

I want to make a human who specializes in quarterstaff and sling combat. Ranger seems like a natural choice (plus I want him to be kind of earthy), and I think the feat in Dragon that lets you use the quarterstaff as a double, and defensive weapon is probably a good choice.

What would you all reccomend in terms of build choice, ability score distribution, feats, and power selection?

Keep in mind that he does not have to be "the most powerful" character at the table, just effective while living up to the image that I have for him.

Chad

-Avalon-

First Post
Aiming for martial, divine, or arcane?

I could see a tempest fighter, a friar-style cleric or pally, or maybe a battle-wizard....

Anguirus

First Post
Would it be ok if he were a rogue? Because a rogue is frightening with the sling. Unfortunately, you may have the staff but you won't get SA with it.

I guess to get the most mileage out of both I would be a Str + Dex archer or beastmaster ranger. This would let you switch between the staff and sling and be decent at both...however, I expect the sling + archer powers will still outshine the staff (especially if you MC rogue).

I am actually quite bitter about how horrible the staff is in this game. It shouldn't be as good a weapon as an axe or sword, certainly, but it would be nice if feats or a paragon path came out to support it. That one feat in Dragon is all you have.

Remove ads