Question RE: APG favored class bonus, Human+Oracle

Venthrac

First Post
I'm a DM and my party has a human oracle that just leveled up from 3 to 4. As his favored class option, he chose this from the APG:

"Oracle Add one spell known from the oracle spell list. This spell must be at least one level below the highest spell level the oracle can cast."

Unfortunately, the rule does not specify what is meant by "the highest level spell the oracle can cast". At level 3, the highest level spell he can cast is 1. However, at level 4, he can cast level 2 spells. According to HeroLab, this character could only choose an additional zero-level spell known upon leveling up to 4, so it seems be basing this qualification on the highest level spell he can cast when he is level 3.

Is that right? It seems odd. He gained the bonus spell known as part of leveling up, but he also gained the ability to cast a higher level of spell as a result of leveling up. Is there a specific sequence in which these things are supposed to happen?

Crothian

First Post
My interpretation has been if the character is fourth level and can cast 2nd levels spells then the bonus spell for the favored class would have to be Zero or First level.

Donal Graeme

First Post
My interpretation has been if the character is fourth level and can cast 2nd levels spells then the bonus spell for the favored class would have to be Zero or First level.

IIRC, that is how it works with the Rules as Written. As a fourth level Oracle, that player would have access to 2nd level spells, meaning that 1st level spells would be the highest that racial ability would allow for. The favored class ability comes into play when you reach a level, not in the transition between them.

Varthol

First Post
re

a very simple and cheap reasoning to say he would be treated as a 4 lvl oracle (ie able to cast 2nd lvl spells) would be that he can pick the favored class bonus BECAUSE that player picked an oracle level :)

Hence, he picks the favored class bonus at lvl 4 so he is a lvl 4 oracle when he gets the favord class bonus allowing him to choose a 1st level spell :)

Venthrac

First Post
So it turns out the reason HeroLab does what it does is that there's a bug that always awards a level 0 spell as a favored class option, even if it should be a higher-level spell.

I guess that means you're supposed to be the qualifier on the character's new level and not his previous one. I still wish the rules made that clearer, but I'll consider the matter resolved.

Thanks gents!

SteelDraco

First Post
There is a sequence, yes.

When adding new levels of an existing class or adding levels of a new class (see Multiclassing, below), make sure to take the following steps in order. First, select your new class level. You must be able to qualify for this level before any of the following adjustments are made. Second, apply any ability score increases due to gaining a level. Third, integrate all of the level's class abilities and then roll for additional hit points. Finally, add new skills and feats. For more information on when you gain new feats and ability score increases, see Table: Character Advancement and Level-Dependent Bonuses.

Therefore he should be able to pick up a 1st level slot, as he's a 4th level oracle at that point. The favored class bonus should probably be considered a class ability from that order.

Mad Hamish

First Post
So it turns out the reason HeroLab does what it does is that there's a bug that always awards a level 0 spell as a favored class option, even if it should be a higher-level spell.

I guess that means you're supposed to be the qualifier on the character's new level and not his previous one. I still wish the rules made that clearer, but I'll consider the matter resolved.

Thanks gents!

Pathfinder / Hero Lab Community FAQ - Lone Wolf Development Forums
has details on how to set things up to get higher levels of spells settable for hero labs

The approach is a bit clunky but it does work as I recall.

Remove ads