• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [+] Questions for zero character death players and DMs…

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Who’s doing that? No one I’ve ever seen.
Isn't that literally what was said, though?

“The dice were against us” two of the players groaned.

Nope.
<snip>
It wasn’t a bad Perception roll that caused the king’s assassination, it was the party’s decisions that led them to a point where the assassination could only be foiled by a successful Perception check.

“Success has many fathers. Failure is an orphan.”
This is pretty much literally saying, "Don't blame the dice. This is on you."

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Whether or not character death is on the table depends on the theme of the campaign I'm going for.

If I'm running a zero to hero hexcrawl or dungeon crawl (or both), then it certainly is a possibility, perhaps even a strong one, particularly at lower levels. If I'm running a pulp action serial hero style Eberron campaign or a D&D/supers mash-up, then death is off the table. In the latter case, if you're "dead" by the rules, you're simply taken out of the scene and you're back to once you're conscious again. In some cases, the character will suffer a debuff. In my D&D/supers mash-up, for example, the penalties for being taken out are based on what took you out: 1d4 for a mook; 1d6 for an environmental effect; 1d8 for a villain; 1d10 for a nemesis; and 1d12 for a supervillain. When you roll an attack roll, saving throw, or ability check, you also roll this die and subtract the result. (To remove this penalty, you have to complete a Good Deed, which is basically a minor quest.)

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Isn't that literally what was said, though?

This is pretty much literally saying, "Don't blame the dice. This is on you."
No. It’s not a punishment, and it’s not saying the decisions that lead to it were wrong. If the players aren’t responsible for their failures, they can’t be responsible for their successes either. The outcomes are either a product of their choices or they aren’t.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
No. It’s not a punishment, and it’s not saying the decisions that lead to it were wrong. If the players aren’t responsible for their failures, they can’t be responsible for their successes either. The outcomes are either a product of their choices or they aren’t.
Can't it be a combination of choice and fickle luck that leads to success/failure?

Remove ads