Quests From The Infinite Staircase

D&D 5E Quests From The Infinite Staircase

I expect these adventures will be strongly associated with settings. Which means it's unlikely to be more than two adventures per setting. So with Tsojcanth and Barrier Peaks*, that would be Greyhawk covered - therefore we can assume that there will be no further Greyhawk adventures.

Dragonlance would be hardest to do in this way - whilst DL1 is a good adventure, it doesn't go anywhere without the rest of the series. Are there any good DL standalones?

*Hypothetically, the new Barrier Peaks art might be for the Vecna adventure, rather than this one?

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I expect these adventures will be strongly associated with settings. Which means it's unlikely to be more than two adventures per setting. So with Tsojcanth and Barrier Peaks*, that would be Greyhawk covered - therefore we can assume that there will be no further Greyhawk adventures.
There isn't any particular indication that Setting hopping is a theme here, just a "you can go wherever" frame narrative to justify hopping between disjointed parts. As such, Setting is not a barrier (there are hints at Eberron in thar PR art), but Vecna is the book that is dedicated to covering all 7 [WotC owned non-Magic] 5E Settings used so far.
*Hypothetically, the new Barrier Peaks art might be for the Vecna adventure, rather than this one?
Theoretically, but the shtick for Vecna is revisiting parts if 5E Adventures and Settings, while Barrier Peaks would fit the bill of a new retro collection more firmly. Still, who knows.

tonycannoli

Villager
I don't see them publishing games have already been published like
  • T1 The Village of Hommlet - Goodman Games
  • S3 Expedition to the Barrier Peaks - Goodman Games

Quickleaf

Legend
There was almost nothing said about it. Nearly everything on this thread (and threads on this book elsewhere) is pure conjecture, other than the inclusion of Tsojancth.
Ah, glad that I could contribute to the totally fact-driven reliable rumor mill.
There isn't any particular indication that Setting hopping is a theme here, just a "you can go wherever" frame narrative to justify hopping between disjointed parts. As such, Setting is not a barrier (there are hints at Eberron in thar PR art), but Vecna is the book that is dedicated to covering all 7 [WotC owned non-Magic] 5E Settings used so far.

Theoretically, but the shtick for Vecna is revisiting parts if 5E Adventures and Settings, while Barrier Peaks would fit the bill of a new retro collection more firmly. Still, who knows.
I doubt the designers feel maintaining older lore is a priority for this anthology book, but the reason I was thinking there’d be a world hopping component…

The Infinite Staircase leads to a bunch of interplanar locations (eg. World Serpent Inn/Arabel in Cormyr, Azzagrat in the Abyss), especially cities where the arts are highly valued (paraphrasing AD&D Planescape). This was one of the reasons why the Infinite Staircase “began” in the Gates of the Moon - Selune’s realm in Ysgard - guarded by lillends (lore has them as muse-type extraplanar beings). One of the setting conceits was you could find a door on the staircase leading to your “happy ending” paradise/utopia city…but if you went through it you’d never want to leave.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Ah, glad that I could contribute to the totally fact-driven reliable rumor mill.

I doubt the designers feel maintaining older lore is a priority for this anthology book, but the reason I was thinking there’d be a world hopping component…

The Infinite Staircase leads to a bunch of interplanar locations (eg. World Serpent Inn/Arabel in Cormyr, Azzagrat in the Abyss), especially cities where the arts are highly valued (paraphrasing AD&D Planescape). This was one of the reasons why the Infinite Staircase “began” in the Gates of the Moon - Selune’s realm in Ysgard - guarded by lillends (lore has them as muse-type extraplanar beings). One of the setting conceits was you could find a door on the staircase leading to your “happy ending” paradise/utopia city…but if you went through it you’d never want to leave.
Sure, same as the other Anthology books, the frame allows for just about anything, anywhere. But also like those books, doubt it has much impact other than letting them put in any adventure from the prior 40 years.

Remove ads